It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

jims68

Right now 10 to 12 MPG mixed 10 with winter gas and warm ups and 12 summer. Strait highway 15 MPG. My thought process was Jeep is a brick and we are running VERY high drag tires but are way lighter then a Sierra Pickup or Suburban which our work ones are over 7000 light loaded and can pull 17 consistantly and over 20 sometimes! Moby is a different animal but I have noticed very little throttle and the black exhuast leading me to believe there is much to gain. Especially driving styles makes no difference and fuel makes non either. I can drive it like I stole it and make sometimes 1 to 2 MPG better then driving it like a granny with no time frame for anything! Tried this over several tanks with 87, 89,91 octane and same routes and distances to keep things equal. These computers are so smart and the tables are so complicated with so many different factors being used it doesn't take much to make big differences! I'm not unhappy but I am allways looking to make something better! My belief is it should be better then what I am seeing! From what I have seen others with tunes in there Sierras and such and a couple of my co-workers have made there trucks work way better with a tune. My problem is I hate to have someone else help till I am at witts end! Not there yet!!!!

JK12

I think jim about summed it up best. Being that you're in NV, you do have a lot more options though. Mel pretty much ripped everything out of EVO 1 and is running his HEMI running a manual shifting auto transmission and basic gauges but then, it is a race rig.

I was curious if it was possible to run a manual shifting auto with the ls conversion or does that involve a whole new challenge?

jims68

The 6 speed gm 6l80 has this mode built in it. All I have is a rocker switch and you pull back one position out of drive to set it then use the switch to shift up or down. Robbie has been using the new style jeep shifters and you need to swap out the counsel also. There are several ways to do it including one I seen where he switched out the shifter lockout knob and replaced with one that has the manual mode buttons built into it. Nice and clean but requires some modifications. The dash indication is now being handled by his integrated module that eliminates a board and wiring to correct the detent and dash indication board on the stock shifter. Again these are little problems he is slowly working through to make it simpler and easier to do. He has several videos including some install stuff on YouTube under the name WranglerJKLS or just do a search for JK LS. Gives you a good idea on what it will take.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished up at Motech and after some programming, a new sensor and a bit of re-wiring, Moby seems to be running good again :)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389404021.955119.jpg

While we were there, Robbie gave us a tour. They are super busy with 6 LS swaps currently in the shop.

Here is the body of one
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389404225.910368.jpg

And the frame and motor
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389404241.891447.jpg

Just a few of the swaps they have completed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389404348.292877.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I'd love to swap, but don't want to give up having stick yet

Gald to see moby is fixed up again tho, hopefully this time is it and no more visits to the shop

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I have to apologize to Motech :)blush:) for some of the thoughts I had about this conversion and Moby's looong time at the hospital. They seem more than willing to take care of any teething problems. Guess you got more than a "bumper warranty". Of course, they know more than a few people are watching. Two thumbs up to Motech.:thumb::thumb:

Tcdawg

Linebacker said:
Of course, they know more than a few people are watching. Two thumbs up to Motech.:thumb::thumb:

I have dealt with Robbi. He does things right even when no one is watching.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Great to hear Moby is good to go. Now time to enjoy that power.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom