JKWrang's Black JKU Build Thread/ Story

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yea im sure 4.56 or 4.88 will make a WORLD of difference but hey, for now its not agonizing like a lot of folks say - its not entirely noticeable honestly. 6th gear didnt disappear like I heard it would. Hills are still rough, but 3.21 gears made hills rough from the get go even on 30s.

Cant say im complaining!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is good to know for when i finally make the jump to 35s. :thumbup:

Loading please wait....

JKWrang

That is good to know for when i finally make the jump to 35s. :thumbup:

Loading please wait....

Yea, its a Jeep afterall. Im expecting it to drive like a Jeep not a Camaro. Although, it does help that I have mud grapplers and it sounds like an airplane at takeoff around 20-30. Makes me feel like im going supa fast lol

JKWrang

For anyone interested, the rubicon wheels/tires were sold and the spacers were sold - both to the people who asked *first*. If that disappoints anyone im sorry but I got asked really quickly by multiple people so first come first serve - fairest way I thought.

Congrats to you two!

Tigrcky

For anyone interested, the rubicon wheels/tires were sold and the spacers were sold - both to the people who asked *first*. If that disappoints anyone im sorry but I got asked really quickly by multiple people so first come first serve - fairest way I thought.

Congrats to you two!

Are the spacers and wheels still available??? :cheesy:

Sent from my whatchamacallit

JKWrang

Just received the gussets and flashcal.

Also installed my Dynonax ultra flo competition exhaust. Not too bad a sound - not as intense as with a CAI in tandem but a decent sound. Install was fairly straight forward using the project-jk write up. I will post pics up tomorrow.

My son and I took it for a test drive and there's no drone and it makes an audible difference on acceleration. All in all im happy and the resulting removal of the oversized stock exhaust is really good to have for clearance in the rear - ive seen a few stock exhausts eat it on the trail in person.

JKWrang

Last couple weeks have been really busy. But the Dynomax has warmed up and settled in really well - the sound is much more what I was looking for at a great price. The only issues I had at install was really removal of the old exhaust - the resonator and pipe were on really well and after LOTS of wiggling and prying it popped right off with only a few bloody fingers.

1413745963579.jpg

This gives me more rearward rock clearance, a nice crisp sound and some much appreciated wrenching time. Every time I crawl underneath the Jeep I learn something new. (Not that this was a super technical install.... haha)

1413746242524.jpg

It appears as though my rear diff is weeping, however, which is both good and bad. Obviously if it's weeping fluid theres a poor seal. BUT because it isnt dripping I have plenty of time and minimal fluid loss. There will be, bombshells in my future - thats for sure.

Winters heading this way so ive been under the jeep painting and retouching up any scrapes and bare spots from the trails.

The control arm mounts, frame rail, sliders, skids and axle housings all took one hell of a beating. But theyve been reconditioned and are ready for an unforgiving winter. This is good as od like to see the Jeep last quite some time.

JKWrang

A little mild wheeling today for toys for tots. Was a fun little run, easy and break free. But still was good to stretch the jeeps legs a little and get her dirty.

ended the night with some good fun, good food and a few drinks before heading home!

Also got to join a local small club I will be wheeling with as well as Wayalife runs when the times arise. Cant waaaaiiitttt to hit the trails again already. The only thing I wish I did was bring my son along - there were other kids here and he would have had fun helping the bigger kids beat up the tree downed on the trail while we prepped it for removal.

Attachments

• 1418000387754.jpg
    1418000387754.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 1418000405760.jpg
    1418000405760.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 1418000419750.jpg
    1418000419750.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 171

JKWrang

Finally got out in the powder. What a blast! Makes an easy trail a little bit more challenging thats for sure. A local club had a kick off run that basically went from light greens to a few impassable obstacles for the tail end crew since everything was a sheet of ice.

Beautifuk scenery, a good escape and a good time for my son too who enjoyed himself to the
max.

Heading out to the trail at the start of the path.
1422219901500.jpg

Its not a Jeep specific club but the majority of us had Black JKUs out on the trail on 35s or better.

1422220058755.jpg

Just a good shot of the snow fall and how unused the trail is.
1422220106987.jpg

Stopped at an obstacle since thats pretty much the only time i remember to take pictures.

1422220157111.jpg

A little swag in this shot. Dont hate

1422220207709.jpg

At the bottom of one of the smaller hill climbs. I took tail end at some point which wound up being a bad idea.

1422220338454.jpg

I was unable to conquer this obstacle. The locked YJ up front went up without an issue. The auto 2 door with front locker climbed with an issue. The other 2 JKUs needed a winch up and I tried a good 5 times and made it 3/4 up and finally had to be rescued. All in all it was fun trying to climb up an ice hill and avoid coming down sideways.

1422220474890.jpg
1422220327073.jpg

Everyday is a good day when you come home without damage and had fun to boot.

1422220266803.jpg

I think this is a killer shot of my little man out of his car seat during a break. He was getting a little antsy/tired.
1422220512479.jpg

But all in all he seems to have had a great time and wore himself out. Goodnight, kiddo!

1422220573407.jpg

Did any of you go out this weekend?? What a difference in scenery from this at 70* last week in Tampa

1422220677222.jpg

To this here in Massachusetts this week!!!

1422220474890.jpg

Attachments

• 1422220620242.jpg
    1422220620242.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

JKWrang

Nice photos, looks like you had a good time out on the trail! I'm in Mass too, where do you go wheeling?

It was a good time, thanks!

I usually go with a local club, or i find some wayalifers on here who are close enough and go wheeling. its not always easy with conflicting schedules and stuff but I wheel where/when I can!

Some of the trails are private land (with permission) and others are local parks or Rausch Creek.

LetsGoMuddin

It was a good time, thanks!

I usually go with a local club, or i find some wayalifers on here who are close enough and go wheeling. its not always easy with conflicting schedules and stuff but I wheel where/when I can!

Some of the trails are private land (with permission) and others are local parks or Rausch Creek.

Ok, I'll have to find some trails in my area once I get parts on my Jeep!

LetsGoMuddin

Definitely. Look for a local club you like, hit up a meet and greet and see if you can get in. Totally worth the trouble to wheel with some local people
Sounds like a plan, I have a friend who's part of a club so I'll have to check it out sometime!

JKWrang

EDIT: I wrote up this lengthy post about towing, snow and such, but the APP told my I didn't have permission to post it, and eliminated all my entry. I will repost later.

EDIT 2: Re-Wrote the below post. We are getting hammered with snow so my morning workout will be shoveling. Again. Because God hates me. :(

Last edited:

JKWrang

Massachusetts has been getting blitzed by winter in 2015 so far. December saw maybe a flash freezing which COULD have been mitigate by the local DPWs, many of whom did nothing and caused wreck after wreck sparking insurance conspiracies everywhere. But now, Mother Nature and Jack Frost have tag teamed to assassinate the Heat Miser and BURY our miniature state under a whole lot of frigid powdery white stuff.

If we were Scarface, this would be a party.

Unfortunately, my town is at 72+ inches of accumulated snowfall within 2 weeks... and CLIMBING.

I did not get a tow strap until December '14, and I bought my vehicle in September '13. Like every n00b I prioritized a lift and tires and everything else.. y'know... because why the hell not!? And once my 35s were mounted (obligatory Marshawn Lynch style shout out to Cozdude) I walked around with a Jeep manifested stiffy for weeks - didn't you guys?

Well, in Nature's quest to eliminate Massachusetts in a temporary Ice Age, we have endured some travel bans and some seriously batteries of sudden and swift accumulation which has left roads unplowed, or impassable. I know Youngfire, NoRoad, Darkknight and I were probably the only drivers on the unplowed highways exploring uncharted territory, forging our own path to glory in seemingly crippling weather (I believe all of us qualify as essential personnel AND have the vehicles to accomplish this travel anyhow). My check tire pressure light has been on for 2 weeks - set stupid low by me, so you can tell the pressure is near 20psi - just to conquer these massive storms and giant slush berms from highway to highway.

2015 has, so far, been the year of recovery. I have used my tow strap at least 6 times pulling everything from little sedans and Chevy 2500HDs to State Troopers Crown Vic's on the highway, side streets, drieveways and wherever else. The moral of this story is...

FOR YOUR FIRST 'MOD'

You should consider recovery gear... and not just for YOUR rig or fellow JEEPERS on the trail.... but for any vehicle. I have never seen so many excited people go from defeated by snow to elated they could resume their doomed journey home - It's New England and most people drive by in their Honda Pilots, or like I used to in a 2wd Pickup, saying "oh you Poor Bastard" and continuing on our way.... In all my years living in New England I have never owned a more capable vehicle built specifically for recovery, capability and performance as the JKU.

NOTE: If you have no experience in vehicle recovery, please do not start your blind venture into recovery on some poor kid's Honda Civic. I have towed multiple vehicles from sand pits, berms, on road and in collapsed roadways and while I'm certainly no expert, I'd hate to see you get motivated to pull a vehicle to safety and crack the bumper, or worse pull it into a nother vehicle.... or yours. This is why I am not writing a tow/recovery write up, but am encouraging you to consider recovery, and not just in the traditional sense of YOU being stuck, or a trail pull from an obstacle.

I have never been able to apply the skills I learned snatching Humvees to safety to civilian type vehicles before. I gotta say, it's a lot of fun. :)

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Great "food for thought!" I couldn't agree more, that having recovery equipment and knowing how to use it are key to staying say in all aspects of Jeep ownership. :yup:

Tigrcky

Your winter is starting to sound like what I see every winter :cheesy: the only thing you left out are a good set of tire chains

Top Bottom