KingCopperhead's Build Thread

KingCopperhead

Evo sliders and skins ordered finally since I bent my rubi rails at Rausch.

Evo rear skids and clayton front lca brackets with skids being welded on today. Pics once I get it painted.

KingCopperhead

Clayton HD front LCA brackets with skids, EVO rear lca skids, and a quick diy fix on my rear brake line. Used some split fuel tubing and zip ties to isolate the brake line since it was making contact with my passenger rear shock absorber. Also touched up all the rock rash on the undercarriage with some krylon rust tough paint. These pics are pre paint to make the brackets and skids easier to see.

Should be a little tougher in rocks now, wish I'd done these mods before I went playing in the rocks (because I wouldn't have needed new front lca brackets if I did ha) but live and learn.

My EVO sliders and skins shipped a few days ago. Should have them painted and burned on within the next few weeks.

Beyond that I'm going to slow down for a while and start saving for some BIG upgrades.

KingCopperhead

Forgot to attach pics in my last post

Attachments

• 1410966508926.jpg
    1410966508926.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 210
  • 1410966515747.jpg
    1410966515747.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 1410966521714.jpg
    1410966521714.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 1410966527352.jpg
    1410966527352.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 1410966534577.jpg
    1410966534577.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 211

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
if the skins come in powder, I would recommend installing them, then take them and get them redone before they rust. Steve and I both had/have that issues but he got his redone recently but they are pitted.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
if the skins come in powder, I would recommend installing them, then take them and get them redone before they rust. Steve and I both had/have that issues but he got his redone recently but they are pitted.

yea they rusted pretty bad and i waited to long to redo them :grayno: either way the new coat looks good and should last a little better in the salt.

KingCopperhead

Thanks for the heads up guys! I've followed Steve's thread on the skins rusting, and I think I'm going to try coating them with fluid film before winter and see how they hold up. If they end up rusting or peeling (or if they are already starting to peel when I get them like hinrichs did) I'll just get them coated right away. My time frame is getting limited, I want this all installed before we get snow and salt here in NY, so I'm not sure if I'd even have time to get them re coated beforehand.

KingCopperhead

Did some work today. Trying to avoid bed lining these sliders so I used rustoleum hammered black. I really liked the way their hammered silver went on so easily on my Diff covers, so I figured I'd try it out on my sliders.

Cleaned them off with mineral spirits, sanded them with 80 grit sandpaper, another thorough wipe down with mineral spirits, and screwed them onto my work bench. 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint. They're still wet my basement is unfinished so excuse the mess. (looks like bubbles in the paint, it's just a few rough spots on the metal, managed to get these painted sans runs and bubbles.)

One slider down, going to let it dry overnight and paint the other one tomorrow. Skins also came in today. Haven't taken them out of the box. (massive box btw)

Attachments

• 1411523059675.jpg
    1411523059675.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 1411523069243.jpg
    1411523069243.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 1411523077772.jpg
    1411523077772.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 181

KingCopperhead

Make sure you use antiseeze on the skin bolts, I didn't and I am regretting it

Just read about the issues you're having in your skins. That suuucks. I'll definitely use some anti-seize on the screws. I'm also considering putting a coat of zinc enriched paint over the entire area to be covered by the skins. It's not like anyone will be seeing that part of the jeep bare again. Going to also put a bead of silicone around the upper edges of the skins, I'll leave the bottom open so that any condensation can work it's way out. Hoping I can have this all done by next month so I can sneak in on the next rausch trip.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is it just me or does that seem to stop way short? It's the bottom most part of that bracket that takes the most abuse, but it still seems fairly open still. Maybe it's just the angle?

i would agree it does look like it stops short

KingCopperhead

From what I can see looking under it if it went much further it would maybe interfere with the control arm movement. I could be wrong though. The good news is these brackets themselves seem twice the thickness of factory or more. So I doubt I'll have bending like before.

+edit + it actually does look short. Guess I should have shopped around. That front axle is temporary anyway. Hopefully the thicker bracket itself will be stout enough to prevent any more issues.

*edit again lol*
I Googled some images of front lca skids, and I saw a few that were similar to these, and several that came down much much further. For what it's worth, for me anyway, the major issue was my factory bracket had peeled back. It was still functional, just ugly and a weak spot for potential future damage. With these new brackets I do at least have a boxed in structure, thicker metal as well. Definitely wish that I'd researched the purchase more, but I think it will hold up. We will find out soon hopefully. Working on painting my Evo sliders and working out a good time for my welder to install them.

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
From what I can see looking under it if it went much further it would maybe interfere with the control arm movement. I could be wrong though. The good news is these brackets themselves seem twice the thickness of factory or more. So I doubt I'll have bending like before.

+edit + it actually does look short. Guess I should have shopped around. That front axle is temporary anyway. Hopefully the thicker bracket itself will be stout enough to prevent any more issues.

*edit again lol*
I Googled some images of front lca skids, and I saw a few that were similar to these, and several that came down much much further. For what it's worth, for me anyway, the major issue was my factory bracket had peeled back. It was still functional, just ugly and a weak spot for potential future damage. With these new brackets I do at least have a boxed in structure, thicker metal as well. Definitely wish that I'd researched the purchase more, but I think it will hold up. We will find out soon hopefully. Working on painting my Evo sliders and working out a good time for my welder to install them.

Hope you didn't think I was shitting on them, just wanted to point out that your CA joint still seemed at risk of contact at the bottom. I agree with you though that just from the perspective of reinforcing the "open" CA bracket, these seem like they've definitely done that job.

KingCopperhead

Hope you didn't think I was shitting on them, just wanted to point out that your CA joint still seemed at risk of contact at the bottom. I agree with you though that just from the perspective of reinforcing the "open" CA bracket, these seem like they've definitely done that job.

No way Dave! You pointed out a potential problem. I didn't take it that way at all. I hadn't even thought about the issue until you mentioned it. Mostly due to the fact that when the original bracket was bent, the bend was high on the bracket.

Part of having a build thread is to get constructive criticism, or even a differing opinion on some of the components. I didn't post all these mods just to get compliments :) I actually appreciated you pointing that out.

We will see how they hold up. Going to try to make it to Rausch once more before winter.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Thanks, still need to put the winch on and waiting on my Evo c gussets to show up. Keep me posted on the next RC trip I'm gonna try to make it.

KingCopperhead

Thanks, still need to put the winch on and waiting on my Evo c gussets to show up. Keep me posted on the next RC trip I'm gonna try to make it.

Sounds good, and good choice on those gussets. Cheap insurance IMHO. Well worth it. Soon as I hear some info on any rausch trips I'll Def let ya know. Would be cool to see that rig in action.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Spoke too soon, gussets came today, probably on the porch wen I sent my earlier post. Now to find a welder.

Top Bottom