Oso Build Thread

dchew

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys! Trying to button things up. This Thursday my wife and I are heading out to explore the Eastern edge of NY. Lake George and the Adirondacks. My Viar portable should show up today; the ARB tire fixitkit came a few days ago.

What happened to your motor? Selling it? 
Haven't thought about it but probably. Guess there is no reason for a spare anymore! Are these things popular? It just annoyed me. :thinking:

dchew

Caught the Bug
rig looks great! did i miss the, he I am in SoCal, who wants to have a beer? thread??? :rolleyes:

andrew -

Ha! Great point; I'm a slacker. It was a quick trip but we finished a little early Wednesday, so I had some time between 4-6 so I ran up there. Also got to do a little of this, which was just fantastic:

IMG_0631.jpg

Ha! Great point; I'm a slacker. It was a quick trip but we finished a little early Wednesday, so I had some time between 4-6 so I ran up there. Also got to do a little of this, which was just fantastic:

just bustin your b*lls brother... wow! look at you sailin and everything!

andrew -

StrizzyChris

AH MAN! I used to live in Dana Point and am now just up in Lake Forest. I would have showed you a couple awesome hole in the wall places to eat/see. Diggin the sailing pic :rock:

StrizzyChris

Its always a good time, hanging with gramps....but he always wants to talk about the war and cant keep up or go outside and play with me anymore :tearsdrip:

dchew

Caught the Bug
LOL! That Jeepster belongs to the owner of the dealership. They were trying to get overdrive to work so it wouldn't get so hot it would vapor lock. Overdrive is third gear. :yup:

I must admit I kinda like my dealer.
:)

dchew

Caught the Bug
Cobra 75 installed earlier this week. I decided to do a "temporary" install to see if I like it and how it works.

Antenna mounted to an existing 1/2" threaded hole in the Teraflex tire carrier. Had the welder make me a simple aluminum L-bracket. SWR meter reads amazingly low for this crappy location; 1.2 or something like that. The one good thing about the TF carrier is its aluminum and well grounded through the hinge. I have no external ground wire!

IMG_0659.jpg

Then I brought the coax in through the carpet, down to the back seats and over to underneath the front driver seat. I just set the little connector box for the Cobra under the seat for now. The handset plugs in there and will sit just to the left of the transfer case shifter. For now I just toss the handset under the seat, but if this becomes permanent I will mount the clip holder along the vertical face of the cowling where the handset is in this pic. It is well out of the way of my long legs:

IMG_0660.jpg

The remote speaker is up next to my head on the left near the B pillar. Wires run down the pillar, under the rear full-length mat. I just used a few wire ties to hold the speaker for now.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

It would be simple to remove the whole thing if it doesn't work out. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Cobra 75 installed earlier this week. I decided to do a "temporary" install to see if I like it and how it works.

Antenna mounted to an existing 1/2" threaded hole in the Teraflex tire carrier. Had the welder make me a simple aluminum L-bracket. SWR meter reads amazingly low for this crappy location; 1.2 or something like that. The one good thing about the TF carrier is its aluminum and well grounded through the hinge. I have no external ground wire!

View attachment 26775

Then I brought the coax in through the carpet, down to the back seats and over to underneath the front driver seat. I just set the little connector box for the Cobra under the seat for now. The handset plugs in there and will sit just to the left of the transfer case shifter. For now I just toss the handset under the seat, but if this becomes permanent I will mount the clip holder along the vertical face of the cowling where the handset is in this pic. It is well out of the way of my long legs:

View attachment 26776

The remote speaker is up next to my head on the left near the B pillar. Wires run down the pillar, under the rear full-length mat. I just used a few wire ties to hold the speaker for now.

View attachment 26777

View attachment 26778

It would be simple to remove the whole thing if it doesn't work out. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Wait until you are driving down the road with the CB on and its nice and quiet and then you get some really loud buzz. :cheesy:

dchew

Caught the Bug
Wait until you are driving down the road with the CB on and its nice and quiet and then you get some really loud buzz. :cheesy:

Already done! Scared the shit out of me. Must remember to adjust the squelch at a high volume first, then turn it down.

:eek:

StrizzyChris

Is it weird that I've never met you but I think of you on a daily basis? ;)

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Attachments

• 1367048557026.jpg
    1367048557026.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 355

dchew

Caught the Bug
Cool! I'm glad you got that pic. I saw that sign when I was out, but I was never prepared to take a photo.

Rubiwho

Sent a PM also but was wondering what Beadlock size you went with. Nitto isn't listed on the sizing chart.
Did you ever sort out the TPMS issue... If so what was it?
And you mentioned maybe using wheel spacers... Are you Ok without them?

Well played all around:thumb:

dchew

Caught the Bug
Sent a PM also but was wondering what Beadlock size you went with. Nitto isn't listed on the sizing chart.
Did you ever sort out the TPMS issue... If so what was it?
And you mentioned maybe using wheel spacers... Are you Ok without them?

Well played all around:thumb:

I got BL107. I emailed Hutchinson on that question and got this response:
"We can make a beadlock for any tire. The key is getting the bead thickness measurement so that we can provide the correct beadlock. The compression should be high enough to lock the tire beads but not so high that it damages the tire beads. Attached is a brochure for reference.​
The 17x12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler uses the BL-0107 beadlock."

I never did sort out the TPMS issue. I did figure out the problem is related to the Jeep not being sure which tire is which. When airing down or up the tires on the dash will swap back and forth from left to right. If I air down the driver tire it will show on the dash as driver, then a minute later it will swap to the passenger then back again.

One shameless plug for Hutchinson: Every time I emailed or called them I got excellent help regardless of the question. On the TPMS problem they even offered to talk with the dealer to help sort it out. I was the first they've heard of with this problem, so I'm convinced it is my TPM module, but the dealer and I are still wrestling with Chrysler on that one.

As I mentioned in my PM, I do use spacers but never ran without them. At first I did not like the look of the wheels sticking out beyond the fenders that much but I am used to it now. And it does protect my body a bit from close trees on the trail. I'm sure the way I am set up the rear wheels would contact the sway bar without spacers. If I wanted to run without them I would at least have to fix that. I'm still not sure about the front. Every one says you need 3.5" of backspacing for my setup, but I have not tried without spacers on the front.

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom