Oso Build Thread

dchew

Caught the Bug
Yesterday we finished the EVO Protek skids. The oil pan and tranny skids fit fine, but the third piece that protects the exhaust crossover pipe does not fit with long arms. So we cut it to fit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365375182.227499.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365375212.970938.jpg

Definitely better than the nothing but not as good as the real thing.

Prime8

Yesterday we finished the EVO Protek skids. The oil pan and tranny skids fit fine, but the third piece that protects the exhaust crossover pipe does not fit with long arms. So we cut it to fit.

View attachment 23497

View attachment 23498

Definitely better than the nothing but not as good as the real thing.

Do you have the Double D long arms? My Protek skids are coming in this week. Apparently I will be doing some cutting too..

dchew

Caught the Bug
I think the arms are the same regardless of the kit (high clearance vs DD). For all i know they have something specifically for these arms. Certainly Rubicat has this system, but that may have been an EVO special.

I should have radius'd the corners more. Do that and it will be stronger. Oh wait, why am I telling that to a mechanical engineer??

Prime8

I think the arms are the same regardless of the kit (high clearance vs DD). For all i know they have something specifically for these arms. Certainly Rubicat has this system, but that may have been an EVO special.

I should have radius'd the corners more. Do that and it will be stronger. Oh wait, why am I telling that to a mechanical engineer??

Haha, I'm a materials engineer, but my current role is failure analysis, so I know all about stress risers and failure mechanisms.

Prime8

The bummer is I had to cut off the cool part (EVO logo). But I saved it. :)

That's ok, put it somewhere where is can be seen, instead of just rusting under your rig. It's EVOs version of 'removing the tag' after purchase.

Prime8

Hey Dave, do your rear LCAs look like this? In other words, can you see two sets of threads like you can see in this picture of mine?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365599754.875210.jpg

rtguy1

Do you have the Double D long arms? My Protek skids are coming in this week. Apparently I will be doing some cutting too..

the arms are the same in both kits, and the front bracketry is the same in both kits. The high clearance kit involves removal of rear frame and axle braketry and installation of new brackets on both the axle and frame. :thumb:

looks great dchew:rock:

Prime8

the arms are the same in both kits, and the front bracketry is the same in both kits. The high clearance kit involves removal of rear frame and axle braketry and installation of new brackets on both the axle and frame. :thumb:

looks great dchew:rock:

That makes sense then on why his looks different!

dchew

Caught the Bug
Yeah as rtguy1 said, it's all the same except for the lower axle mounts. Makes sense that my arms are set shorter because they are a little higher.

My housings are stock, btw.

dchew

Caught the Bug
I suppose it is worth noting there is one small disadvantage of the high clearance kit besides the difficulty setting it up: the Jeep ends up about an inch higher at its lowest setting, simply because the bottom shock mount is higher.

Dave

Top Bottom