• Brake line extensions installed
  • Front axle shafts installed
  • Finished the steering assist ram & hoses
  • JE Reel driveshafts
  • Gas tank (whew!)
  • Dynomax comp installed
  • Filled the differentials
  • Added power steering fluid

So after being on a lift for almost 2 months, we crossed our fingers and fired up Oso last night. Found one spot where I hit the brake line with the grinder, but that should be a relatively easy fix. Other than that, no issues so far! :thumb:

Next on the list:
  • Fix the brake line
  • Bleed the brakes
  • Install the fenders
  • Remove rear bumper
  • Install the tire carrier
  • Install front bumper
  • Mount the winch
  • Rock skins
  • Rock sliders
  • Check and adjust all the control arms after it settles

So I know with coilovers one must reroute the rear brake hard line. Since you need to replace it, you mind taking a photo or 6 of how/where you rerouted it...

andrew -

dchew

Caught the Bug
Sure, will-do. I hit the line further up in front of the rear control arm mount, before it routes over to the passenger side. So I either have to replace a whole section or splice it.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Yesterday was a challenge all around. Ended up only fixing the brake line leak and getting one fender installed. What should have been a simple brake line splice turned into a fiasco of multiple trips to more than one auto parts store and dealership. Don't ask. I'm sure nicking that line with the grinder took me a fraction of a second, but fixing it took hours for no good reason. :( Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Anyway, the factory nuts on the brake lines are close to bottoming out into the new SS extensions, which has us a bit concerned and unwilling to loosen them again. So re-routing them to the inside of the bumpstop is not in my immediate future; sorry no pics for a while. They are higher up the frame but not on top or inside. At some point soon I will get a bunch of brake line and replace both rear lines from my splice back.

In regards to the Bushwacker fender flares, I was just being way to cautious installing the first one and it took forever. Being in Ohio (rain, snow, salt) I saved and shaved the front pants to fit around the coil overs while keeping the most protection I could. That took a while to mount/remove/cut/repeat... But the driver side is installed and fits really nice I think. :thumb:

Dave

silverbackjk

Thanks! Hey how is Gilroy? I lived in S San Jose almost 20 years ago. We could smell the garlic every spring :)

Dave

I think this was meant for me. We can smell the garlic heavily in the morning in the spring. It's cool love wheeling in Tahoe are and Reno and Holister hills for testing is cool cause it is so close.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Bumper and winch installed. We really screwed up though. Went too far bleeding the brakes and drained the reservoir ;(

PITA!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362940239.426721.jpg

Prime8

Bumper and winch installed. We really screwed up though. Went too far bleeding the brakes and drained the reservoir ;(

PITA!

View attachment 19199

Very clean. Looks great. Waiting for the salt to stop flying before I install the PowerPlant HD. There is sooooo much rust on my rig. I hate Illinois... The state government should be paying US taxes for destroying our vehicles.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Well for those of you who did not see my thread in JK Tech, I had bit of a setback this week. Sunday we opened the garage and tried to take Oso for a ride, but no dice. The front differential imploded immediately from a bent locker sensor. So the front end is back at the gear installer who is giving it another go.

On a positive note, the winch is installed and operational, and I finally got a leaky tire apart, cleaned and reassembled. Not easy with internal beadlocks. Also started the install of the Teraflex tire carrier. Interesting that they recently changed their install video. I wonder if that is in response to the well-reported break recently.

Anyway hope to tackle the rock skins this weekend. Here we go nutserts...

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
Oso is back together and on the road. I filled the front diff and test drove it, then installed the Teraflop tire carrier. The wheel / tire combo I have fits well so I'm going to use it with a backup strap. Still to go are the rock skins and rails. Hopefully the skins this weekend and the rails next week / weekend.

I do have a few problems to sort out:
1. "Check TPM SYSTEM" warning is on. I did recalibrate (ProCal) to 25 psi. The new wheels have new sensors, so maybe they have to be initiated or one doesn't work. All four show 30-31 psi, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If one is not sending a signal, would the tires each read whatever was there before or would it read "0" or "--" ? I had the battery disconnected for over a month so I doubt it is reading what was there before.

2. My Stability Control "ESC" light is on. Steering seems straight and I checked it with the Procal, which said it needed no adjustment. I will check it again today and follow the speed sensor wires. But I had those sensors in and out so many times on the front that I could have easily damaged one.

3. There is a strange fairly high-pitched whine / noise that occurs sometimes when coasting. It sounds to me like the power steering pump is starving / cavitating but it has nothing to do with steering and I'm not even sure yet if it is coming from the engine bay. It howls for maybe 10 seconds, then goes away when I slow down or stop. At first I thought it was air in the power steering, but now I have no idea. My brakes are still spongy so maybe ABS? I really hope it is not the rear diff. But I can't even tell yet where it is coming from since it goes away when I stop and the Jeep drives completely normal when it howls. It's cold and raining so I can't really drive with the windows down. We will bleed the brakes again Sunday; maybe it will go away after that.

Regardless of these things, I am very excited. It drives beautifully. A little more flighty because of the PSC assist, but I constantly have to remind myself I am driving with 37's. :yup: Sounds awesome, but there is a little ticking from the flex exhaust piece I have in there. I will have the welder finish that off with solid pipe in the next few weeks. Today I am going to the shop where there is a fork lift. Gotta check flex and clearance. :thumb:

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom