Overlanding Gear

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Camping season is coming, time to revive this thread. Anybody have an exped sleeping pad?

It's pricey, but I'm giving this some consideration.

Haven't tried that but ever since Cindy and I moved over to an REI Camp Bed 3.5, we've been sleeping more comfortably that ever before. I literally prefer it over a lot of real beds.

5c706fcc-e965-4d22-a4b0-832278b18e0f

boostdtalon

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455986608.036985.jpg

I just picked these two up last night. My cousin let me use his during a camping trip and I was sold after that. Best sleep I've ever had while camping. What was only going to be us looking at roof rack systems for the JK turned into me buying quite a few things.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Picked up one of these. Smaller than a full size chair but still very comfortable and sturdy. Plus it easily fits in the bag of the Jeep without taking up too much room.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455997014.115142.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Haven't tried that but ever since Cindy and I moved over to an REI Camp Bed 3.5, we've been sleeping more comfortably that ever before. I literally prefer it over a lot of real beds.

5c706fcc-e965-4d22-a4b0-832278b18e0f

Take his advice, it's takes up a bit of room, but it's worth every penny

WJCO

Meme King
The q core is 4", so is the exped. I hear you about the noise (see what I did there?). I was also looking at a neo air from thermarest but when I went for a store test, the noise level of the fabric was too much.

I use the Neo air which is great for backpacking, but yes it is noisy.

WJCO

Meme King
It's great. We use them all the time.

But I did pick up some new beach chairs.

Had to try them out this summer.

I have a similar one that rocks and doesn't swivel. Alite Monarch chair. Only has two legs, so your own legs become the thrid support. They make another chair that has extra legs that can be removed. I love it, takes up no space.

download.jpg

Harley74

I use it every weekend...love it. If you are really getting out there and need to fully recharge every day, I would skip the single Nomad 20 panel and drop the coin on the brand new Nomad 100.

It would be used more for a weekend camping trip, hunting trips and B.O.B just in case I would have to and no I am not a prepper by no means.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I run my ARB fridge off of it with no issues at all. While I haven't tried to run the battery dry, I'm pretty confident I could make it through a sunny weekend using the Nomad 20 to partially recharge the Yeti during the day.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. Figure out what your power needs are though because there are definitely limits. I had hoped to run an electric griddle and it won't work because of the high draw of the heating element.

Last edited:

Harley74

I'm not electrically inclined at all, so could you have to many solar panels charging the portable genartor while it is in use or just simply charging it? Just curious.

I do like how your DIY projects have come along and got my wheels turning now on some ideas. Thanks for sharing!

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not electrically inclined at all, so could you have to many solar panels charging the portable genartor while it is in use or just simply charging it? Just curious.

I do like how your DIY projects have come along and got my wheels turning now on some ideas. Thanks for sharing!

You mean being afraid to over charge it? Sharkey may have the answer, but most solar kits have some kind of charge controller that will shut off charging current once maximum charge has been obtained.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep, it won't overcharge.

The thing you have remember with multiple panels though is that you lose a lot of efficiency in the connections and wiring. So, four Nomad 20's joined together may only get you 40 watts on a good day. For less money than the four Nomad 20's you could buy one Nomad 100 and have a much more efficient system that should easily peak out higher than 70 watts. The Nomad 100 is pretty darn big unfolded though.

For my weekend trips the one or two Nomad 20's will work just fine and they are a lot easier to set up. If I get to the point that I am able to stretch my camping trips into the 4+ day mark, I will pick up a Nomad 100. If I had a camping trailer of some sort I would definitely go with the Nomad 100.

Top Bottom