Overlanding Gear

ttfhell

So I just ordered one Helinox chair to try it out.

I was contemplating the REI equivalent but this video showed me there were enough differences to at least try it out. Plus it was only an $18 difference on Amazon.

Starting to get excited about getting geared up for Spring/Summer adventures. :rock:

Do they come in adult sizes?

MTG

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425430980.592359.jpg
Initial impressions:

A little bigger than I expected.
Well built.
Very comfortable. Probably more so than I thought it was going to be.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Can't wait to see you get in and out of it after ten beers and some honey.

:cheesy:

Go to 8:10 in this video for a preview of me getting out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nbBAkw7i_4

So my plan is to put it right next to the fire. That way when I fall out of one, I'll fall right into the other. I just hope you are there with my favorite overlanding safety device.

That's the benefit of the chair's design, after ten beers and some honey, the ground isn't very far.

Safety third…that is my motto.

GCM 2

.......That way when I fall out of one, I'll fall right into the other. I just hope you are there with my favorite overlanding safety device.......

How is a snorkel considered a safety device? Or was that a large floppy khaki hat??

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Camping season is coming, time to revive this thread. Anybody have an exped sleeping pad?

It's pricey, but I'm giving this some consideration.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455946240.493629.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Camping season is coming, time to revive this thread. Anybody have an exped sleeping pad?

Exped and Big Agnes are two of the top names in the backpacking community when it comes to sleeping pads. I personality haven't used one but hear good things about Exped in general. I use a Thermarest myself, but it's more about weight savings more than anything for me.

EDIT: Is that the MegaMat? Has an R-value of 9+? That thing will keep you way warm. The pad I use when camping in the teens only has an R-Value of 4 and it's plenty for me.

Last edited:

View attachment 188929

Tough choice. I was recently in the market for a new sleep pad. I ended up going with a Big Agnes Q Core. I chose the Big Agnes over the exped because I am a side sleeper and the added thickness sounded good. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455950700.690892.jpg .

Cons of the Big Agnes and a few other insulated air pads is how incredibly noisy they are. It will drive you and everyone else completely insane. Think of a Cheetos foil bag crinkling on steroids with every move.

Pros. It is comfortable. Light and very pack able.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Exped and Big Agnes are two of the top names in the backpacking community when it comes to sleeping pads. I personality haven't used one but hear good things about Exped in general. I use a Thermarest myself, but it's more about weight savings more than anything for me.

EDIT: Is that the MegaMat? Has an R-value of 9+? That thing will keep you way warm. The pad I use when camping in the teens only has an R-Value of 4 and it's plenty for me.

Yes, but it's the thickness (4") that I'm going for and not so much the r value.

I have a 20+ year old thermarest. It still does the job for backpacking and mummy bags but I'm looking to go a little more cush as I get older.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The q core is 4", so is the exped. I hear you about the noise (see what I did there?). I was also looking at a neo air from thermarest but when I went for a store test, the noise level of the fabric was too much.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I have the Nemo cosmo 30XL insulated pad. It makes 0 noise and is super nice, and allows for side sleeping. Its also pretty damn light for what it is. With the foot pad to fill it up you can get it super firm. Camped out in the desert before new years when it went down to 25 and stayed nice and warm.

1455954893077.jpg

Top Bottom