PAPPY : 1954 Willys CJ3B

M38A1Driver

We'll be doing a slow restoration and most likely will NOT bring it back to showroom condition. We kind of like the rough worn out look and feel of old Jeeps but not to the point where it looks beat up. Wherever we can, we like to fix problems that the previous owners caused, patch up holes, make sure the engine is running good and bring it back to a state of arrested decay - like it's a good looking Jeep for it's age. :cool:

Oh, and this is not it's original color. Look through the layers of paint, I think it was originally a dark green but then was later painted Forest Service Green. I believe that's the color it had for most of it's life.

Regarding Restoration and "Arrested Decay"..........That's a great concept that I think needs to be spread around for these old worriers. You got to keep some battle scars or the youngsters won't believe the stories that go along with them. :D Great job!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being the absolute beautiful day that it's been today, Cindy and I decided to take Pappy out to do all our chores.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463616493.283120.jpg

I still can't believe how dependable and how well he runs in spite of being over 60 years old! [emoji41]

M38A1Driver

Being the absolute beautiful day that it's been today, Cindy and I decided to take Pappy out to do all our chores.
View attachment 203972

I still can't believe how dependable and how well he runs in spite of being over 60 years old! [emoji41]

"They take a licking and keep on ticking" It's nice to hear them idling smooth and calm just waiting for the next adventure :thumb:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
View attachment 203972

As much as we all love our modern Jeeps, there really is something special about driving around and old one. They just 'feel' rugged and dependable.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I inflated them to 20 psi but I just did a quick check and see they're sitting at about 18 right now. Although, you really couldn't tell as they still look quite full.

Thanks, they inflated mine to 30 psi, it's not hitting(chalk test )about 1" of tread on both sides of the tire of course. So these are way over inflated

Ride is very bouncy and it hits bumps hard. Just looking to see what a good starting point is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, they inflated mine to 30 psi, it's not hitting(chalk test )about 1" of tread on both sides of the tire of course. So these are way over inflated

Ride is very bouncy and it hits bumps hard. Just looking to see what a good starting point is.

:cheesy: Damn boy, you definitely need to let some air out of them bowling balls. NDT's and inner tubes require less air. :yup:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You and Cindy should do a little exploring in Pappy. That would make a great picture thread!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You and Cindy should do a little exploring in Pappy. That would make a great picture thread!

LOL!! Man, that would be so much fun to do. However, with a top speed of about 45 MPH, where we could take him would be limited. Granted, we don't have to drive very far to be out on the trails. I have a few projects that I need to tackle first to make him more trip worthy before we could do anything though.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
LOL!! Man, that would be so much fun to do. However, with a top speed of about 45 MPH, where we could take him would be limited. Granted, we don't have to drive very far to be out on the trails. I have a few projects that I need to tackle first to make him more trip worthy before we could do anything though.

Yeah, I kind of figured you may have to trailer him! :p

Sharkey

Word Ninja

East Lake Blvd up to Virginia City. Wheel a piece of history up to a historical place. :thumb:

Top Bottom