Pvanweelden's JKUR build

pvanweelden

Thanks Hillz! Just picked everything up from powder coating.
1410484009524.jpg
But it's only 50 degrees here, need to wait til it warms back up a little so I can paint it flat

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

I almost had enough room to slip one more rotopax under the carrier, but with it tied to tailgate, you would have to unconnect it to get to the rotopax. Which would be a pita. So instead I added the washers welded in, with a carabiner and paracord I will have my tow straps attached below. Two angle bags will attach to zig zag member with jumper cables and air hoses. Speaking of airing up- my york kicks all kind of ass, and I air up all 4 tires at once in 3 minutes :)
1410672524104.jpg

pvanweelden

Oba- my setup is a york compressor (yes it's from 1982, but it's belt driven, not electric) I air up all 4 tires at once from 10 psi to 30 psi in 3 minutes. It takes me about 1 minute to get the hoses out and walk around and connect them all and then 3 minutes to fill all 4 tires.
A funny story is- while we in CO, after a trail run, 2 other guys were airing up, I had gone to take a leak, and then came back to air up while the other 2 guys were already airing up, and I still finished before they did, and my wife said "you got some kind of super compressor or something?" And I said yes, I have a york. :)

dwvninety

Oba- my setup is a york compressor (yes it's from 1982, but it's belt driven, not electric) I air up all 4 tires at once from 10 psi to 30 psi in 3 minutes. It takes me about 1 minute to get the hoses out and walk around and connect them all and then 3 minutes to fill all 4 tires.
A funny story is- while we in CO, after a trail run, 2 other guys were airing up, I had gone to take a leak, and then came back to air up while the other 2 guys were already airing up, and I still finished before they did, and my wife said "you got some kind of super compressor or something?" And I said yes, I have a york. :)

I still got my old york compressor somewhere in the attic. How did you connect yours, and did you build your own brackets? I have a 2012 JKU and was always wondering if I can install it in that cramped engine bay.

pvanweelden

I have not seen another way around using offroad only ' s bracket for 2012 or newer :( and it is pricey

pvanweelden

^ sorry, for 2007-2011 it is awesome! But for the 3.6 it got expensive :( I keep looking for alternative solutions, but haven't found any- but even at the price it still kicks performance wise over electric

pvanweelden

An arb twin takes almost 2 minutes to fill up a single 35 from 10 psi to 30 psi, and I am doing all 4 in 3 minutes

dwvninety

For now I use my CO2 tank but that sometimes gets old when I have to take it to a welding shop to refill. It cost less than $10 to do but just the hassle of driving 14 miles...

pvanweelden

Yup, I used to CO 2 also, but you never know when it will run out, and you have to pay to refill it. I have free renewable air and can run air tools off it, just like co2, and don't have to worry about the tank exploding or how I have it mounted :) I carry air tools with me 24/7 in a rotopax storage can.

dwvninety

That's what I want to eventually do. I carry air tools with me also, but as you said you never know when it will run out. A friend suggested carrying a portable digital weight but that's another think I gotta lug around.

pvanweelden

It's like $500 something to add a york to a 2012, but if you already have the york- compared to adding a arb twin and bracket - you would be way ahead on performance from the york

pvanweelden

It literally is a close to co2 performance as you can get, and you don't have to worry about the bottle freezing up on ya (or the regulator)

pvanweelden

Local welding company had the plastic plug that I will use for the top plug for the tire carrier (1
625") it was 0.55).
For rear tailgate plugs- I found 2 round plugs AR local ace hardware store 0.25 each

CZEBJKU

Turned out great Paul:thumbup: I really wish I had your fab skills so I could take on a project like this. Do you have a rough estimate for the cost of materials?

pvanweelden

Thanks Curt! I had all the steel already, the hinge was $70 and the turnbuckle ends were $10.

pvanweelden

Here's a few pics of the carrier. I still need to shim the mount and adjust it slightly. Will run without the tire for a few days while I make adjustments.
1410739089828.jpg

1410739109057.jpg
Open. I lined up the double shear bracket to act as a stopper to protect the factory hinges if ever opened on a side incline.
1410739186888.jpg

Tigrcky

Top Bottom