Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

CCTX50

Rock Hard Cage Install Prep

Well, I just got my cage delivered this afternoon. I plan on doing a test fit as is before getting it powder coated. Any words of wisdom to pass on from the most recent guys that did this install. By the way, it will be going in a 2013 JKU. I am trying to see where the template that was provided goes. I know it goes on the door frame to show where the holes need to be drilled. But is there a better way to see where to place it by any marks already on the Jeep door frame? Or do you just eye it when the side cage is in place?

Also, I saw in the instructions that came with the cage that Rock Hard may be making replacement moldings that have the cutouts already so you do not have to cut yours? Am I miss reading?

Thanks for the help guys. And thank you Eddie for the write up!!!

Panda

Well, I just got my cage delivered this afternoon. I plan on doing a test fit as is before getting it powder coated. Any words of wisdom to pass on from the most recent guys that did this install. By the way, it will be going in a 2013 JKU. I am trying to see where the template that was provided goes. I know it goes on the door frame to show where the holes need to be drilled. But is there a better way to see where to place it by any marks already on the Jeep door frame? Or do you just eye it when the side cage is in place?

Also, I saw in the instructions that came with the cage that Rock Hard may be making replacement moldings that have the cutouts already so you do not have to cut yours? Am I miss reading?

Thanks for the help guys. And thank you Eddie for the write up!!!

When the side bars are in place you match the template to the side bar bottom plate to line it up exactly and center punch where holes need to be drilled there is no mark on the jeep door frame as to where it goes you must match it to the side bar when it's in place

CCTX50

When the side bars are in place you match the template to the side bar bottom plate to line it up exactly and center punch where holes need to be drilled there is no mark on the jeep door frame as to where it goes you must match it to the side bar when it's in place

Thanks Panda

JAGS

Hooked
Quick questions for those who already ordered. What is the shipping weight of the 4dr cage? Will the shipping box(es) fit inside the jeep?

Thx.

JAGS

Hooked
Not too heavy. 60 lbs or less? If you can lay down your back seat, yes it will fit. The main box is 20"x 8"x4'

Great. With the holiday deliveries, I'm trying not to have things sent to the home. Sounds like shouldn't have any transport issues.

OK egg-berts... How the hell do you get the A-pillar bars in without scratching the hell out of the dash above the vents? (2013) I am just test fitting, but I'm getting my ass handed to me a bit....

MTG

Caught the Bug
OK egg-berts... How the hell do you get the A-pillar bars in without scratching the hell out of the dash above the vents? (2013) I am just test fitting, but I'm getting my ass handed to me a bit....

Carefully.

I ended up trimming the dash some as well.

I put tape over the dash on passenger side but never had a problem on driver side it slipped right in without touching dash.

Carefully.

I ended up trimming the dash some as well.

Yea, I was finally able to get the passenger side in but scratched the hell out of the upper head tube as I rotated the Rockhard a-pillar tube around in an effort to keep it out of the dash. I am going to trim the dash tomorrow. Most of my issue was from me not knocking the sharp edges off the rockhard parts first. If that laser cut edge touches the dash you have a scratch!

Test fit done(ish) ;)

I need to pull the hardtop to finish the upper bars and rear, but it looks good enough for me to trust having it painted. I also need to drill the holes in the door frame, but that shouldn't take long.

IMG_20141223_111029518_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141223_111106930.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
For the record. The holes you drill in the door frame will make or break you so be precise and take your time. Also remember that after the powder your parts will be a bit thicker :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Test fit done(ish) ;)

I need to pull the hardtop to finish the upper bars and rear, but it looks good enough for me to trust having it painted. I also need to drill the holes in the door frame, but that shouldn't take long.

IMG_20141223_111029518_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141223_111106930.jpg

You need a bigger garage. :shock:

For the record. The holes you drill in the door frame will make or break you so be precise and take your time. Also remember that after the powder your parts will be a bit thicker :yup:

Yes, thanks for looking out. I didn't mean to make light of drilling the holes I just didn't think it would take that long.

To your point, I wish they would not predrill and tap the holes on that piece. I would prefer to drill a hole on the door frame first and then use that to locate the spots to drill and tap holes on the bracket myself

Top Bottom