Rock Krawler rear suspension 1" "Stretch"

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If a little bit of bowing is normal then i wont worry about it, but the bowing that im seeing right now seems a bit excessive

I just went through my whole front suspension and now dreading all this crap in the rear but sometimes learning lessons the hard way makes it stick better :naw: a high price tag doesn't always mean a great product

Well, don't be too hard on yourself. Most of us have been there before and sometimes it takes learning the hard way to get it right.

desertrunner

Well, don't be too hard on yourself. Most of us have been there before and sometimes it takes learning the hard way to get it right.

seeing that it is my first jeep and im only 22 i guess i can use all the learning lessons i can get haha part of the fun is doing it all yourself, fucking it up, and learning what you did wrong even if it costs more $ in the long run

1" stretch sounded good to me and at $2G it must be good right :cheesy:

Last edited:

desertrunner

Looks like the bolt just broke. The mount and bushing look fine. I would just reinstall it where it was from the factory.

I'll have to look again when I get home but I'm pretty sure the rubber in there tore as well you can't see it from the pic but if it still looks good I'll just put it back on

If that rear track bar bracket gives you trouble I'd replace it. The design of rk is a little weak.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=476943

Yeah saw that thread and was making me wonder if I should just go ahead and do that while I'm already down there

Sent you a pm

Replied :)

Flat Top

seeing that it is my first jeep and im only 22 i guess i can use all the learning lessons i can get haha part of the fun is doing it all yourself, fucking it up, and learning what you did wrong even if it costs more $ in the long run

1" stretch sounded good to me and at $2G it must be good right :cheesy:

Dude, I'm 48 and made the same mistake. What does that say about me? :crazyeyes::crazyeyes: Plus made in the USA and you get all 8 control arms? Sweet! :icon_crazy:

RedSyndrome

Same thinking at the same time.

Desertrunner,

Good timing. I was looking at the very same issues on my RK suspension on my JK. Minus the sheared bolt that is. All the pictures of the kit hitting the shock, bumpstop and even the track bar on the pumpkin look like mine. I was thinking of shortening the track bar too, but I don't think I could get enough out of it.

Options I have checked:
1. RK standard uppers and lowers - $295 a set = $590
2. Factory uppers and RK lowers - $295 plus donated uppers. = $295
3. Donated uppers and lowers.
4. I could take the whole thing out and sell it and upgrade to a long arm set. $????

Live and learn, live and learn. I will probably stand pat for a short while and then go option 2...or maybe 4...or...

desertrunner

If that rear track bar bracket gives you trouble I'd replace it. The design of rk is a little weak.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=476943

Does the EVO rear track bar bracket use the stock rear track bar? Also my bracket is welded on in addition to the bolts so that could reduce the chance of it failing

Desertrunner,

Good timing. I was looking at the very same issues on my RK suspension on my JK. Minus the sheared bolt that is. All the pictures of the kit hitting the shock, bumpstop and even the track bar on the pumpkin look like mine. I was thinking of shortening the track bar too, but I don't think I could get enough out of it.

Options I have checked:
1. RK standard uppers and lowers - $295 a set = $590
2. Factory uppers and RK lowers - $295 plus donated uppers. = $295
3. Donated uppers and lowers.
4. I could take the whole thing out and sell it and upgrade to a long arm set. $????

Live and learn, live and learn. I will probably stand pat for a short while and then go option 2...or maybe 4...or...

just curious why would you run the RK lowers and factory uppers? Crazy lary offered me a set of used currie uppers i might hit him up on that and find a set of currie lowers but if running the currie uppers and RK lowers would work ill try it but i dont think that would solve the length issue (so to speak :cheesy:) I also just had to replace polyurathane bushings up front so i woud rather not buy new arms from RK if im gonna buy arms im gonna buy something better, i was just able to get away with keeping the front arms and just replacing bushings

Last edited:

desertrunner

Looks like the bolt just broke. The mount and bushing look fine. I would just reinstall it where it was from the factory.

This was what i was talking about when i said i thought the rubber was torn but now it just looks like a slit in the rubber to fit the swaybar in. ill just buy a new bolt and move it

can i move it back to stock location before i get new arms in there?

IMAG4900[1].jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Just looked, crown automotive are 30 bucks each for the uppers and lowers control arms, forum sponsor and reliable.
And yes, the evo bracket uses part of the factory bracket. You'll have to grind anyways.

desertrunner

Just looked, crown automotive are 30 bucks each for the uppers and lowers control arms, forum sponsor and reliable.
And yes, the evo bracket uses part of the factory bracket. You'll have to grind anyways.

how do you order from crown? i tried looking that up but they dont ship to individuals only dealers? and it said i had no dealers within like 100 miles haha

a set of used currie uppers for $200 sounds good to me so ill prob snag those up then figure out what to do with the lowers.

also i think i am just going to keep the RK rear track bar and bracket and hope it works with the shorter arms guess ill find out :rock:

olram30

how do you order from crown? i tried looking that up but they dont ship to individuals only dealers? and it said i had no dealers within like 100 miles haha

a set of used currie uppers for $200 sounds good to me so ill prob snag those up then figure out what to do with the lowers.

also i think i am just going to keep the RK rear track bar and bracket and hope it works with the shorter arms guess ill find out :rock:

Amazon sells crown, if your desperate, qtec.

desertrunner

so i was just reading Eddie's explanation over on this thread http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?25670-Suspension-Question-yes-another and he mentioned that if you have an aftermarket rear drive shaft you need adjustable rear uppers to set pinion angle. So what then would be the benefit of having adjustable lowers? Looks like i might get a used set of currie uppers :rock: and i figured maybe might as well upgrade to currie lowers as well but if there is no benefit to having adjustable lowers (for my application of 3.5" ish lift and 37s) then im not gonna bother with anything better than factory replacements.

olram30

so i was just reading Eddie's explanation over on this thread http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?25670-Suspension-Question-yes-another and he mentioned that if you have an aftermarket rear drive shaft you need adjustable rear uppers to set pinion angle. So what then would be the benefit of having adjustable lowers? Looks like i might get a used set of currie uppers :rock: and i figured maybe might as well upgrade to currie lowers as well but if there is no benefit to having adjustable lowers (for my application of 3.5" ish lift and 37s) then im not gonna bother with anything better than factory replacements.

Yeah, if you have a aftermarket shaft rear uppers are needed. The benefits of rear lowers are the joints and beefier arm. Guys have broken factory arms playing hard enough. Also your axle shifts during flex, Johnny joints and others take some stress off. But I use factory arms. If they blow the rubber I'll just get Currie or maybe another crown replacement. Rear arms aren't needed for me, but would be nice to have.

Attachments

• 1427232580566.jpg
    1427232580566.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 179

desertrunner

is there much of a difference between the currie and clayton arms besides $100. both say they use currie johnny joints and are adjustable not sure where the $100 difference is??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
is there much of a difference between the currie and clayton arms besides $100. both say they use currie johnny joints and are adjustable not sure where the $100 difference is??

The Currie arms come with Johnny Joints on both ends of the arms. Clayton only uses Johnny Joints on one end and a bonded rubber Clevite bushing on the other.

Top Bottom