Rock Krawler rear suspension 1" "Stretch"

desertrunner

also for those that have mentioned calling ORE and asking them for the pile of used take off parts they just told me they dont sell used take offs they send them with the customer but hey it was worth a try... or maybe i just dont have the hook up :crazyeyes: anyone got some lowers they can spare??? :D

JKbrick

That's a good way to go, I found used rear Currie uppers for $200 on Craigslist and kept the stock lowers. I doubt I will ever break them, if I do I'll get Currie lowers

desertrunner

That's a good way to go, I found used rear Currie uppers for $200 on Craigslist and kept the stock lowers. I doubt I will ever break them, if I do I'll get Currie lowers

got some used currie uppers and tracked down a set of stock lowers should be good to go :thumb: Ill make sure to post updates when i tear into it

desertrunner

hokay so I found myself a set of currie uppers and factory lowers when those show up at my door ill start tearing things apart but just so I know what im doing it should just be...

pull out old arms
ditch the angled coil pucks
relocate sway bar back to factory location
put in factory lowers
put in currie uppers and adjust to point pinion at t-case
hope and pray the RK track bar and bracket still work
keep the RK coils, sway bar links, and bump stops

??????? sound about right?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds to me like you got your bases covered. I think you'll find this to be a better setup.

CrazyLarry

hokay so I found myself a set of currie uppers and factory lowers when those show up at my door ill start tearing things apart but just so I know what im doing it should just be...

pull out old arms
ditch the angled coil pucks
relocate sway bar back to factory location
put in factory lowers
put in currie uppers and adjust to point pinion at t-case
hope and pray the RK track bar and bracket still work
keep the RK coils, sway bar links, and bump stops

??????? sound about right?

Hang on to the coil wedges. They did help a bit with my spring bow

desertrunner

K so the deconstruction has begun. I got a hold of my old factory rear arms from who I gave them to and crazy lary hooked me up with a set of Currie uppers :) here is a few more shots at what I was looking at with it installed

Coil contacting track bar. I did talk to another forum member who said that he just rotated the track bar to face out instead of up and that fixed his making contact.... Something to think about

ForumRunner_20150402_083252.png

Sway bar link angle with the sway bar moved back an inch

ForumRunner_20150402_083312.png

And just another shot of the track bar bolt eating away at the bump stop

ForumRunner_20150402_083321.png

desertrunner

Also does anyone have a good starting length for me to set the Currie upper arms with factory lower and 3.5" RK coils?
Just so I'm not taking a shot in the dark first try

and advice on what I should replace my chewed away factory bump stop with?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sway bar angle looks fine, the track bar bolt hitting the bump stop extension pad can be addressed by reversing the bolt or grinding out the bump stop pad. Bump stop extensions made by other manufacturers have the top piece shifted forward more to avoid this.

Regarding your upper arms, you need to put your rear axle on jack stands, set your pinion angle, measure the distance from upper control arm mounting eye to mounting eye and that will give you the length you need.

desertrunner

Sway bar angle looks fine, the track bar bolt hitting the bump stop extension pad can be addressed by reversing the bolt or grinding out the bump stop pad. Bump stop extensions made by other manufacturers have the top piece shifted forward more to avoid this.

Regarding your upper arms, you need to put your rear axle on jack stands, set your pinion angle, measure the distance from upper control arm mounting eye to mounting eye and that will give you the length you need.

yeah the sway bar and track bar bolt stuff was still before I took the RK arms out. So far I got it all up on jack stands wheels off and passenger side arms out. And as far as the length idk why I didn't think about that, it just makes too much sense :cheesy: thank you for the tip im hoping to at minimum tonight have all the RK arms out and the sway bar put back in stock location. we will see if I can get anymore done tonight.

desertrunner

Bump stop extensions made by other manufacturers have the top piece shifted forward more to avoid this.

I figured once the axle gets moved forward again it wont make contact with the bump stop anymore and if it does I can address it then. Should I replace that yellow foam POS factory bump stop that's torn to pieces with another factory one or replace it with a better aftermarket upper rear bump stop? or even just take it out and get a bigger lower bump?? :thinking:

desertrunner

I have a feeling I'm gonna want to upgrade those soon haha I have gotten use to seeing those big ol high clearance RK arms in there it hurts to see those tiny little things in there especially next to the monsterous Currie uppers

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I had all of these same issues in the rear with the 3.5" RK Kit.

I ground down that rear trackbar bracket until it no longer rubbed. Then last month I removed it entirely and replaced it with the EVO rear mount. I did that because my forward RK trackbar mount failed. The EVO ones are much better designed and there is no rubbing issues.

I fabricated another upper (body) trackbar mount to move the trackbar back an inch. That stopped the rubbing of the trackbar on the rear passenger side coil. It also stopped the mounting bolt from contacting the bump stop extension. If you look at my build thread you will see how I dealt with these issues.

Just a couple of suggestions since I've been where you are now.

-Matt

Top Bottom