Rock Lights - Walmart Platinum Burner Installation Write-Up

TeamFaust

Looks like these work well. I was going with the small waterproof LED option but not happy with the amount of light (not to mention wiring them all up). Going to get a couple sets of these for front and rear. Thinking that I can run with a single switch if I wire a relay from direct battery power and the switch simply turns on the rely, yes/no?

This is what I was thinking:
Rock Lights Wiring Diagram.jpg

You guys with more electrical experience, any idea what size/type rely would be appropriate to do it this way?

Last edited:

Rebel JK

Looks like these work well. I was going with the small waterproof LED option but not happy with the amount of light (not to mention wiring them all up). Going to get a couple sets of these for front and rear. Thinking that I can run with a single switch is I wire a relay from direct battery power and the switch simply turns on the rely. You guys with more electrical experience, any idea what size/type rely would be appropriate to do it this way?

It depends on your total combined wattage of the lights. The formula is: P (power or watts) divided by volts = amps (current).
If you have 4 lights each drawing 25 watts take 100 (total watts) and divide by your volts (12v) = 8.3 amps. I would factor in a "continuous duty" rating as well, meaning size up the relay so as to not max it out causing early failure. If 8.3 amps will be the total load, then I would go with a 15amp relay.
As to the type, there are a lot out there. I would search 12v automotive control relays, and look for one that will be condusive to your preferred mounting and wiring method. Some, the wire can be easily terminated with just a set screw while others will require ring/fork terminals to connect wiring. I would go with rings myself because the wire cannot come off unless the screw falls completly out. Someone on here probably can reccomend a specific relay they like.

KenB1010

Looks like these work well. I was going with the small waterproof LED option but not happy with the amount of light (not to mention wiring them all up). Going to get a couple sets of these for front and rear. Thinking that I can run with a single switch if I wire a relay from direct battery power and the switch simply turns on the rely, yes/no?

This is what I was thinking:
View attachment 40429

You guys with more electrical experience, any idea what size/type rely would be appropriate to do it this way?

If you want to do rock lights with LEDS, try these.
http://www.oznium.com/10w-stackable-cree-led

TeamFaust

Interesting looking light. The little waterproof Oznium super chips are what I have installed new in each fender not quite enough light. Was going to use the Walmart ones to supplement. These look like another good option.

KenB1010

I used the super chips installed in a custom rail for between the front and rear wheels, but 2 years later over half of them are not working. I'll be replacing them with the Cree 10w. I agree the super chips don't put out enough light for use a rock lights, also not tough enough to last.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
It depends on your total combined wattage of the lights. The formula is: P (power or watts) divided by volts = amps (current).
If you have 4 lights each drawing 25 watts take 100 (total watts) and divide by your volts (12v) = 8.3 amps. I would factor in a "continuous duty" rating as well, meaning size up the relay so as to not max it out causing early failure. If 8.3 amps will be the total load, then I would go with a 15amp relay.
As to the type, there are a lot out there. I would search 12v automotive control relays, and look for one that will be condusive to your preferred mounting and wiring method. Some, the wire can be easily terminated with just a set screw while others will require ring/fork terminals to connect wiring. I would go with rings myself because the wire cannot come off unless the screw falls completly out. Someone on here probably can reccomend a specific relay they like.

I know this is an older thread (but still very useful) so I'm sorry for the bump cause I needed some clarification. Based on the math here, if I did four of these Walmart lights I'd need a 15 amp relay but do you need a relay to do all 4 or could you just put all four positives together to a switch, the switch grounded, and a positive to the battery with a 15 amp in line fuse? I need to clean up/redo all the wiring I've currently done to my Jeep (wannabe Dually's and CB) so I'm figuring, why not throw a set of rock lights under her in the process :p

NAUJK

I know this is an older thread (but still very useful) so I'm sorry for the bump cause I needed some clarification. Based on the math here, if I did four of these Walmart lights I'd need a 15 amp relay but do you need a relay to do all 4 or could you just put all four positives together to a switch, the switch grounded, and a positive to the battery with a 15 amp in line fuse? I need to clean up/redo all the wiring I've currently done to my Jeep (wannabe Dually's and CB) so I'm figuring, why not throw a set of rock lights under her in the process :p

I have all four running on 1 switch with no relay. The switch can get a little hot if they are on for an extended period of time. So my solution is to get a better switch and replace the bulbs with LED bulbs that have a similar socket design so they draw less W and would help the little switch contain all the lil electrons. But I do have 4 of the walmart lights on 1 switch and it works fine jsut keep an eye on the switch.

pvanweelden

If the switch is getting Hot, that should tell you something is wrong. Try holding on to the wire going to the switch next time you have them on.

That amount of heat through the wires will catch something on fire.

You need a relay when running 5 amps or more of current to lights or other accessories.

$5 is a cheap investment- available at radio shack or auto parts store.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
So one says yes and one says no. I use OTRATTW switches and haven't ever had a problem with it getting too hot and the little light is on all the time (powered off the battery).

TBird

You really should be using a relay every time IMHO. Its the same idea as your house. You could have say, 18awg wire running from your breaker panel off a 20amp breaker to a plug in. That plug in is a 20amp socket and you have a super high powered (now everyday) microwave pulling say 17amps. To give you a gauge, 14awg handles 15amps, 12awg handles 20.

Your microwave might work, and your plug won't get hot, breaker won't trip, but now your house is on fire because the wire is hot, but you'd never know from outside the walls.

Same goes for your jeep really. I'd rather pay an extra $5 and know all those wires running through my dash aren't getting hot cuz they have but one led they are powering. If you wanted to run everything off your switches, you'll melt your a-pillar or dash or what not and anything else near the wires just from having all those amps running near each other. I was an electrician so I know even if the wire is good, and nothing is tripping the breaker, if all your wires are running through one hole, youre gonna have a bad time. I'm kinda rambling on now but 0.3amps(or w/e) times 5 is better than 8amps times 5 through a 1 inch hole. Please don't burn your jeep down by being lazy. Only you can prevent forest fires.

And Merry Christmas!
/endrant

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Supplied Hardware with the lights

Did anyone else have any issue with the red wire being to short to go from the batter to the center console; and for the black ground wire being too short to be grounded a extend to the center console?

noroad

Did anyone else have any issue with the red wire being to short to go from the batter to the center console; and for the black ground wire being too short to be grounded a extend to the center console?

Just add more wire lol!

Last edited:

noroad

that is what i am going to do today. But i was just wondering if anyone else had this issue or if the wires they received with the kit were long enough.

suprised that yours even came with some most lights just come with small 3 or 4 inch leads! no biggy just splice some in and boom done!

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
suprised that yours even came with some most lights just come with small 3 or 4 inch leads! no biggy just splice some in and boom done!

x2...I know the walmart ones have switches and stuff but I didn't expect it to even be nearly that long.

*Edit: not the Walmart ones but cheap-ish LEDs under my rig.
All Lights On Front Angle.jpg
All Lights On Rear Angle.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom