Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

tom82jeep

Lol that's a lot of reading and I didn't read it all so maybe it's been said all ready but it looks like attitude is what determines the difference if a guy says it's overland then that's what it is if he says crawler then it is if he says it's my all around do it all then it is. We decide what our rigs our and u can call whatever you want haha

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Generally, I'd steer away from pigeonholing a fun time into a word, or term.

I'd generally steer clear of roof racks, or roof top tents, if I could. A snorkel, even if I had a lifted jeep, would still be something I'd be inclined to think about here in the Northeast, with creek, small rivers and boggy areas. When I lived in rural, Northeastern PA, I know of a lot of places where the snorkel could have saved some people their engines. As WayOfLife mentioned, the seat belts may not work after a deep water crossing and they get wet. But, I'd rather replace seat belt tensioners, or replace them with fixed point belts, than an engine. Still, in a lifted rig, in the desert, it might not be desirable to spend the money and put the time into a snorkel. It all depends on what you want. I'm curious about the claim that the snorkel prevents snow and dust from getting into air intakes, and whether it was real or a joke.

Still, this whole thread was super informative on some differing ideas about how to approach wheeling. Thanks for the read, to all who presented their opinions! :rock: Happy Jeeping, no matter what you call it.

Gmwelder86

Only thing I could see with lifts is with some like ome, offering different spring rates for different loads. Some of the overland gues I go out with mainly running land cruisers load them things to the gills, so a little extra spring rate wouldn't hurt. But in my experience over landing is more about going places other vehicles can't and less about the obstacle factor that "rock crawling" has associated with it. Each vehicle works for it's intended goal and will cross over into the other. That said a crawler build will be better suited to overland than the other way around.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Only thing I could see with lifts is with some like ome, offering different spring rates for different loads. Some of the overland gues I go out with mainly running land cruisers load them things to the gills, so a little extra spring rate wouldn't hurt.

LOL!! A little extra spring rate hurts the quality of your ride. :crazyeyes:

But in my experience...

In "your experience"? By all means, please qualify "your experience" and explain how you are an authority in this matter :yup:

...over landing is more about going places other vehicles can't and less about the obstacle factor that "rock crawling" has associated with it.

Funny, if "going places other vehicles can't" is what a self-proclaimed "overlanding" Jeep is all about, it's a shame they CAN'T go places that "rock crawling" Jeeps CAN. :thinking:

Each vehicle works for it's intended goal and will cross over into the other. That said a crawler build will be better suited to overland than the other way around.

LOL at "each vehicle works for it's intended goal". I just makes me laugh that anyone would ever want to pigeon hole themselves into a self-proclaimed category rather than just build their Jeep to be the best it can be. Labels are just labels and they won't make a difference in how well your Jeep will perform in any environment or situation. But, that's just been my experience. :cool:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

In "your experience"? By all means, please qualify "your experience" and explain how you are an authority in this matter :yup:

Funny, if "going places other vehicles can't" is what a self-proclaimed "overlanding" Jeep is all about, it's a shame they CAN'T go places that "rock crawling" Jeeps CAN. :thinking:

LOL at "each vehicle works for it's intended goal". I just makes me laugh that anyone would ever want to pigeon hole themselves into a self-proclaimed category rather than just build their Jeep to be the best it can be. Labels are just labels and they won't make a difference in how well your Jeep will perform in any environment or situation. But, that's just been my experience. :cool:

Champagne and sparkling wine brother, that's basically the only difference. ;)

jorgelrod

Hooked
Saw this at another site and since I know it is impolite to put a link, so I thought I'd share it so you guy can have a laugh

You might be an overlander….

If you have Titanium silverware but use a cast iron Dutch oven for cooking, you might be an overlander

If your camp kitchen is better equipped than your home kitchen, you might be an overlander

If your truck has a more expensive fridge than your house, you most certainly are an overlander.

If you have more titanium in and around your vehicle than a nasa project, you might be an overlander.

If you take more pictures of your vehicle than people or places while on vacation, you might be an overlander.

If your tent costs more than your monthly mortgage payment, you might be an overlander…or potentially homeless in the near future.

If you take camp pictures that feature an overland journal carefully placed on a camp table, you might be an overlander.

If you have ever called one of your trips an expedition, you might be an overlander.

If you spend more time geting your vehicle ready for your next “expedition” then actually on said expedition, you might be an overlander.

If you get in passionate discussions about the importance of quality camping chairs, you might be an overlander.

If you have a collection of slightly to never used, other than for testing, gear for self recovery that could extract you from any potential situation, you might be an overlander.

If you have dual spares and debate whether your snorkel should face forward or backward you might be an overlander

If you check ExpeditionPortal multiple times everyday… you are an overlander.

If your camp dinner involves a wine flight, you might be an overlander
If 5 or more of your Facebook friend’s profile pics show them wearing an exofficio shirt and tilly hat, you might be an overlander.

If your DD has an ax, a machete, an E-tool a bow-saw and they never leave the vehicle.
If you’ve read multiple army field manuals (FM-xx) and never served in the military.
If you’ve added sophisticated electronics to an “antique” off-road vehicle
If your camp chairs are nicer than your patio furniture, you might be an overlander.

If your vehicle does not fit in your garage, you might be an overlander.

If you added a sticker on your vehicle that specifies the fuel type in Farsi, you might be an overlander.

If you have put your ham handle on your windshield, roof, and/or rear of your vehicle, you might be an overlander.

If you have perfected the art of buying new gear on the Internet and telling you Wife ( We had this On our last trip ).

If you travel with both a spirit and a mixer in a pelican case, you might be an overlander.

If you see another rig with a snorkel and automatically feel like you’re friends with it’s driver, you might be an overlander.

If you feel sorry for people who sleep in ground tents, you might be an overlander.

If you have served a cheese plate during a trail break, you might be an overlander.

If you carry 15 extra gallons of gas but fail to bring sufficient water, you might be an overlander

If you only travel with craft beer in your fridge, you might be an overlander

If you carry a trash can with you on your spare tire, you might be an overlander

If your gear storage is more expensive than the gear it contains, you might be an overlander

If you deploy a solar array for a weekend camping trip just to power a fridge and mood lighting, you might be an overlander

If you require HAM for communicating on the trail between three vehicles 200ft apart, you might be an overlander

If your camping gear has more wood and leather than Ron Burgundys home, you might be an overlander
If the majority of your time in camp is spent setting up and breaking down equipment, you might be an overlander

If youve ever woken up in the middle of the night before a trip to check your gear, you might be an overlander

When you leave the paved road and stop to lock in hubs, air down your tires, shift into 4 Low range, and engage your ARB locker, just to traverse the gravel driveway to your campsite at the KOA…

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
The roof top tent is the only way I'd be able to have a slim chance of getting my wife to go camping, even at the KOH.

Looks like Mrs. Scoop is staying home...

Fred

I don't get this mentality. Not everyone with a jeep, or even a 4x4, is into rock crawling. Some people are into moderate off-roading, and others are into camping and living out of their vehicles while exploring remote areas (some would call that overlanding).

We can all argue over the semantics of these activities until we are blue in the face, but there is difference in priorities for someone who is simply trying to rock crawl and someone who is focused on long-range, expedition style travel.

The rock crawlers need the beefier/bigger tires, greater amounts of skid plate/armor protection, and generally rely on front/rear solid axles setup's in order to overcome extremely technical terrain.

Expedition 4x4's (overlanders, SUV campers, whatever you want to call them) prioritize fuel economy, storage space and on-road comfort just as much as they do off-road worthiness (they generally look to be able to conduct remote travel for days at a time without refuel or resupply). Hence their vehicles will usually run slightly smaller tires, less armor, bigger fuel tanks, racks for extra storage, ect.

To this poster's point, that a "rock crawler" jeep could pretty much do everything an "overland" rig could do, but not vice versa...I think you are missing the point. Yes that rock crawler could accomplish an overland/expedition style trip from a technical standpoint. But why would someone chose that kind of rig for that kind of activity? A rock crawler jeep, with its big tires, limited storage space, mediocre fuel range is not the optimal vehicle for that kind of travel. In fact jeeps in general, as good as they are off-road, aren't really the most ideal for that kind of travel. Generally speaking, people who do overlanding/expedition travel/remote vehicle camping pick 4x4's like 4Runners, Landrovers, Landcruisers, Tacomas, Xterras for that kind of use since they offer better qualities in terms of storage, and ride comfort (normally have independent front suspension) and fuel range (especially with aftermarket tanks).

Certainly I have seen some jeeps serve as overland vehicles. There are a lot of options to chose from. And there most certainly are nuanced differences in the builds/equipment between a "rock crawling" rig and an "overlanding" one. I don't see why we have to criticize people simply for having different goals in mind.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I don't get this mentality. Not everyone with a jeep, or even a 4x4, is into rock crawling. Some people are into moderate off-roading, and others are into camping and living out of their vehicles while exploring remote areas (some would call that overlanding).

We can all argue over the semantics of these activities until we are blue in the face, but there is difference in priorities for someone who is simply trying to rock crawl and someone who is focused on long-range, expedition style travel.

The rock crawlers need the beefier/bigger tires, greater amounts of skid plate/armor protection, and generally rely on front/rear solid axles setup's in order to overcome extremely technical terrain.

Expedition 4x4's (overlanders, SUV campers, whatever you want to call them) prioritize fuel economy, storage space and on-road comfort just as much as they do off-road worthiness (they generally look to be able to conduct remote travel for days at a time without refuel or resupply). Hence their vehicles will usually run slightly smaller tires, less armor, bigger fuel tanks, racks for extra storage, ect.

To this poster's point, that a "rock crawler" jeep could pretty much do everything an "overland" rig could do, but not vice versa...I think you are missing the point. Yes that rock crawler could accomplish an overland/expedition style trip from a technical standpoint. But why would someone chose that kind of rig for that kind of activity? A rock crawler jeep, with its big tires, limited storage space, mediocre fuel range is not the optimal vehicle for that kind of travel. In fact jeeps in general, as good as they are off-road, aren't really the most ideal for that kind of travel. Generally speaking, people who do overlanding/expedition travel/remote vehicle camping pick 4x4's like 4Runners, Landrovers, Landcruisers, Tacomas, Xterras for that kind of use since they offer better qualities in terms of storage, and ride comfort (normally have independent front suspension) and fuel range (especially with aftermarket tanks).

Certainly I have seen some jeeps serve as overland vehicles. There are a lot of options to chose from. And there most certainly are nuanced differences in the builds/equipment between a "rock crawling" rig and an "overlanding" one. I don't see why we have to criticize people simply for having different goals in mind.

Welcome to Wayalife!

I didn't bother reading your long drawn out post. But if you are here to educate us all, save yourself some effort and go away.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Welcome to WAL!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I fell asleep after the first two lines

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

My "rock crawler" two door jeep can hold everything myself and another person need for a week in the desert. Does that make me a rock crawler or an overlander? Do you actually know how remote you can actually get in the U.S.? It's not very remote and with planning you can do it without the need for extra bigger fuel tank.

And heads up, the loaded down roof rack, extra fuel, bigger fuel tank and your useless overlanding shit weigh a lot more then my 35's and skid plates.

Fred

Welcome to Wayalife!

I didn't bother reading your long drawn out post. But if you are here to educate us all, save yourself some effort and go away.

This is a thread where someone was expressing and soliciting opinion on the subject of overlanding vs rock crawling. I participated in the discussion...this is normally how forums work, right? :rolleyes2:

Thank you for the welcome though, heartfelt or not!

Top Bottom