Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
This is a thread where someone was expressing and soliciting opinion on the subject of overlanding vs rock crawling. I participated in the discussion...this is normally how forums work, right? :rolleyes2:

Thank you for the welcome though, heartfelt or not!

Well that's open for interpretation. In case you didn't notice this thread has become somewhat of a joke. Fun and frivolity for all. I find it funny that you came here to make a long ass FIRST post to impose your opinion. Do yourself a favor and give us all a wave and look around. You'll see that we like to have fun here AND share knowledge.

Fred

My "rock crawler" two door jeep can hold everything myself and another person need for a week in the desert. Does that make me a rock crawler or an overlander? Do you actually know how remote you can actually get in the U.S.? It's not very remote and with planning you can do it without the need for extra bigger fuel tank.

And heads up, the loaded down roof rack, extra fuel, bigger fuel tank and your useless overlanding shit weigh a lot more then my 35's and skid plates.

A) I didn't say Rock-crawling jeeps can't serve as overland rigs, I said they weren't as ideal as say a 4runner or landrover.

B) A loaded up "overland" rig likely weighs more than a rock-crawling jeep..that's stating the obvious. The real question is which one is more optimal for remote exploration/camping? The answer is entirely subjective, though I laid out my reasons as to why I think some rigs are more optimized than others for that usage.

C) Why are you referring to overland rigs as "shit"?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
A) I didn't say Rock-crawling jeeps can't serve as overland rigs, I said they weren't as ideal as say a 4runner or landrover.

B) A loaded up "overland" rig likely weighs more than a rock-crawling jeep..that's stating the obvious. The real question is which one is more optimal for remote exploration/camping? The answer is entirely subjective, though I laid out my reasons as to why I think some rigs are more optimized than others for that usage.

Are you kidding me? Why are you so PASSIONATE about the subject. Your post seems pretty emotional and perhaps you could use some Midol?:icon_crazy:

Edit: This is a warning, if you are here to TROLL, your welcome here will not last very long.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Overlander beat me to it but, you cant really call "over landing" when its in America. i think anything short of say Africa, should not be called "over landing". hell, for them their probably just trying to survive to their next destination. just my opinion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Where did I say overlanding rigs are shit?

If you don't like jeeps, why are you on a jeep forum?

Fred

Well that's open for interpretation. In case you didn't notice this thread has become somewhat of a joke. Fun and frivolity for all. I find it funny that you came here to make a long ass FIRST post to impose your opinion. Do yourself a favor and give us all a wave and look around. You'll see that we like to have fun here AND share knowledge.

Impose my opinion? I expressed an opinion, which is fairly normal occurrence on internet forums, especially on ones related to vehicles.

As for this being a fun place...I heard exactly that through the grapevine, which is why I joined up. I'm more than a little confused why people on a 4x4 forum are so enthusiastic about belittling others who conduct their off-roading in a slightly different manner. Everyone has different priorities when they off-road...I would think it would be in this forum's best interests to accept everyone who enjoys off-roading, rather than try to alienate them.

Fred

Where did I say overlanding rigs are shit?

If you don't like jeeps, why are you on a jeep forum?

You sure about that?

And heads up, the loaded down roof rack, extra fuel, bigger fuel tank and your useless overlanding shit weigh a lot more then my 35's and skid plates.

For the record, I do like jeeps. I own one. And I use it to go explore and camp in remote areas. I really don't care whether someone considers that overlanding or not. I'm sure my rig is not modded/built the same way that some hard-core rock crawlers kitted out theirs...doesn't mean mine is better or worse than theirs...just means we are doing different things.

spinuck

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200478379|suv&veh2=200493597|suv&veh3=200491448|suv&veh4=200694034|suv&show=0&comparatorId=2309081

I quickly did a cargo space comparison of a couple of the "suvs" you mentioned. the JKU has just about as much storage space or more. Also, how would the rock crawler's bigger tires take away storage space? you know the tires generally go on the back of the Jeep right? I would think if you're heading into the unknown, you'd want to be prepared for any type of terrain, and the rock crawler Jeep can do that while still providing as much cargo space as the others....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Impose my opinion? I expressed an opinion, which is fairly normal occurrence on internet forums, especially on ones related to vehicles.

As for this being a fun place...I heard exactly that through the grapevine, which is why I joined up. I'm more than a little confused why people on a 4x4 forum are so enthusiastic about belittling others who conduct their off-roading in a slightly different manner. Everyone has different priorities when they off-road...I would think it would be in this forum's best interests to accept everyone who enjoys off-roading, rather than try to alienate them.

This is not a 4x4 forum, this is a jeep forum. Don't like what it's about start your own forum or go back to the others you enjoy so much.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You sure about that?

For the record, I do like jeeps. I own one. And I use it to go explore and camp in remote areas. I really don't care whether someone considers that overlanding or not. I'm sure my rig is not modded/built the same way that some hard-core rock crawlers kitted out theirs...doesn't mean mine is better or worse than theirs...just means we are doing different things.

Ok reread that again. I said "useless overlanding shit" I did not say overland rigs were shit. Big difference.

Fred

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200478379|suv&veh2=200493597|suv&veh3=200491448|suv&veh4=200694034|suv&show=0&comparatorId=2309081

I quickly did a cargo space comparison of a couple of the "suvs" you mentioned. the JKU has just about as much storage space or more. Also, how would the rock crawler's bigger tires take away storage space? you know the tires generally go on the back of the Jeep right? I would think if you're heading into the unknown, you'd want to be prepared for any type of terrain, and the rock crawler Jeep can do that while still providing as much cargo space as the others....

The Land Rover Discovery isn't really a valid comparison; its a unibody cross-over at this point designed for soccer moms. A land rover 3 or 4 is a better comparison (it has an actual body on frame and is meant to off-road).

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200478379|suv&veh2=200493597|suv&veh3=200491448|suv&veh4=200496634|suv&show=0&comparatorId=2309081

The Xterra is about the same size as a jeep, so the similarity in storage space to the jeep makes sense. Both the 4Runner and LR4 have significantly greater storage space than the jeep. That's one reason why "overlanders" typically pick those types of vehicles. I love my jeep and use the hell out of it, but I'm realistic about its qualities.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get this mentality. Not everyone with a jeep, or even a 4x4, is into rock crawling.

Funny, I don't ever recall ever saying that everyone was or should be. :thinking:

Some people are into moderate off-roading, and others are into camping and living out of their vehicles while exploring remote areas (some would call that overlanding).

Surprise! You just described most of what my wife and I do only, we don't call it "overlanding". :crazyeyes:

We can all argue over the semantics of these activities until we are blue in the face, but there is difference in priorities for someone who is simply trying to rock crawl and someone who is focused on long-range, expedition style travel.

:cheesy: I'd ask for you to enlighten me but I already know you're going to regardless if I asked or not.

The rock crawlers need the beefier/bigger tires, greater amounts of skid plate/armor protection, and generally rely on front/rear solid axles setup's in order to overcome extremely technical terrain.

Funny, I don't run ANY aftermarket skid plates on my BIG white Jeep running 40" tires but being that it is a Jeep, ummm, yeah, it came with solid axles front and rear. That being said, I would trade them in for a top shelf IFS/IRS setup if one were available. :idontknow:

Expedition 4x4's (overlanders, SUV campers, whatever you want to call them) prioritize fuel economy, storage space and on-road comfort just as much as they do off-road worthiness (they generally look to be able to conduct remote travel for days at a time without refuel or resupply). Hence their vehicles will usually run slightly smaller tires, less armor, bigger fuel tanks, racks for extra storage, ect.

And, I'd be willing to bet that I have spent more time in more remote locations for days at a time without refuel or resupply then you could ever hope to in your lifetime. AND YET - I drive a really BIG Jeep running 40" tires, BIG HEAVY axles and a 6.2L V8 motor. How on earth that could be possible? :shock: :crazyeyes:

To this poster's point, that a "rock crawler" jeep could pretty much do everything an "overland" rig could do, but not vice versa...I think you are missing the point. Yes that rock crawler could accomplish an overland/expedition style trip from a technical standpoint. But why would someone chose that kind of rig for that kind of activity?

Ummm, maybe because I enjoy it? Maybe because unlike you, I've actually been in situations where an otherwise easy trail was unexpectedly made very technical due to a storm and or erosion. Of course, if you got out and actually did half the things you want your "overlanding" rig to do, you'd know what I'm talking about. :yup:

Going back to my original point, I still stand by the fact that your self-proclaimed "overlanding" rig CANNOT do what I can do in my Jeep that you have labeled a "rock crawler".

A rock crawler jeep, with its big tires, limited storage space, mediocre fuel range is not the optimal vehicle for that kind of travel. In fact jeeps in general, as good as they are off-road, aren't really the most ideal for that kind of travel.

No, that's just what you've convinced yourself of and far from a fact. The fact of the matter is, HERE IN AMERICA, it is extremely difficult to run out of gas unless you're just a moron when it comes to planning. As far as space goes, if you pack accordingly and leave shit like your birchwood Snowpeak kitchen and Overland Journal magazines at home, you'd be surprised at how much you can actually pack and bring with you. :yup:

Generally speaking, people who do overlanding/expedition travel/remote vehicle camping pick 4x4's like 4Runners, Landrovers, Landcruisers, Tacomas, Xterras for that kind of use since they offer better qualities in terms of storage, and ride comfort (normally have independent front suspension) and fuel range (especially with aftermarket tanks).

LOL!! Sorry pal but that's just what you and all your pretentious self-proclaimed overlanding buddies have convinced yourself of. And, I guarantee you that my crazy big Jeep on coil overs is WAY MORE COMFORTABLE than ANY of the vehicles you just listed even when driving over knee high whoops at 60 MPH. :yup:

Certainly I have seen some jeeps serve as overland vehicles. There are a lot of options to chose from. And there most certainly are nuanced differences in the builds/equipment between a "rock crawling" rig and an "overlanding" one. I don't see why we have to criticize people simply for having different goals in mind.

Funny, nobody I know is criticizing any vehicle - just self-important pretentious people like you. :yup:

Fred

Ok reread that again. I said "useless overlanding shit" I did not say overland rigs were shit. Big difference.

I really don't see the difference, but fine, I'll take your word for it.

This is not a 4x4 forum, this is a jeep forum. Don't like what it's about start your own forum or go back to the others you enjoy so much.

Right, and I own/drive a jeep that I use to travel/explore and camp in remote wilderness areas, hence why I joined up.

Roof rack + snorkel = overland isn't really a good description of what I do with my jeep, or what other "overlanders" are doing in general. I thought that I'd offer a fresh perspective on that subject. If diversity of opinion and experience isn't welcomed here, then I apologize for joining in on the discussion.

spinuck

The Land Rover Discovery isn't really a valid comparison; its a unibody cross-over at this point designed for soccer moms. A land rover 3 or 4 is a better comparison (it has an actual body on frame and is meant to off-road).

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200478379|suv&veh2=200493597|suv&veh3=200491448|suv&veh4=200496634|suv&show=0&comparatorId=2309081

The Xterra is about the same size as a jeep, so the similarity in storage space to the jeep makes sense. Both the 4Runner and LR4 have significantly greater storage space than the jeep. That's one reason why "overlanders" typically pick those types of vehicles. I love my jeep and use the hell out of it, but I'm realistic about its qualities.

Updated the link for a more apples to apples comparison... http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...4=200496634|suv&show=0|8&comparatorId=2309081

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

And to be clear, that is just your uneducated opinion. That being said, it is a FACT that you could NOT take your self-proclaimed "overlanding" 4runner or Land Rover over the same terrain that my Jeep can. :yup:

That's because "overlanding" rigs are loaded up what a ton of shit that you don't really need. A well built up Jeep is weighed down with components designed not to break. As far as optimization goes, you're right, it IS entirely "subjective" and your idea of what needs to be packed is a bit different than mine. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I really don't see the difference, but fine, I'll take your word for it.

Right, and I own/drive a jeep that I use to travel/explore and camp in remote wilderness areas, hence why I joined up.

Roof rack + snorkel = overland isn't really a good description of what I do with my jeep, or what other "overlanders" are doing in general. I thought that I'd offer a fresh perspective on that subject. If diversity of opinion and experience isn't welcomed here, then I apologize for joining in on the discussion.

LOL! Here comes the poor me, I am so innocent, everyone is so mean bullshit. You came here looking for a fight. You had to search out this thread to find it and that's what you did. Your self pity isn't welcomed here.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I think the original intent of this thread was to laugh at the elitist types that prefer to call themselves "over landers" and that it's really a silly distinction because "rock crawling rigs" (as labeled by self proclaimed "over landers") are just as capable, if not more so than a "overland" rig. That's all.

Fred

And, I'd be willing to bet that I have spent more time in more remote locations for days at a time without refuel or resupply then you could ever hope to in your lifetime. AND YET - I drive a really BIG Jeep running 40" tires, BIG HEAVY axles and a 6.2L V8 motor. How on earth that could be possible? :shock: :crazyeyes:

I'd hedge that bet if I were you. And that 6.2L V8 is an awesome motor, but is also a gas guzzler. I'm sure you can and do travel to remote places with it, but my point was that there are more optimal motors/vehicles for that kind of travel (ie ones with better gas mileage).

As for the rest of your post, especially the part referring to me as a pretentious person who likes to call himself an "overlander," again you are missing my point. I really don't care what people refer to my camping/exploring as. They can call it car camping for all I care.

My point is everyone choses to use their jeeps in different ways...why not embrace that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As for this being a fun place...I heard exactly that through the grapevine, which is why I joined up.

By all means, please do enlighten us as to what "grapevine" you are referring to as well as what you heard to prompt you to sign up here just to dig up a crusty thread to preach on. :yup:

I'm more than a little confused why people on a 4x4 forum are so enthusiastic about belittling others who conduct their off-roading in a slightly different manner. Everyone has different priorities when they off-road...I would think it would be in this forum's best interests to accept everyone who enjoys off-roading, rather than try to alienate them.

And I'm more than a little confused as to why people sign up on a 4x4 forum just to enthusiastically belittle others who conduct their off-roading in a manner that you have no real clue about. Everyone does have different priorities when they off-road and I would think it'd be beneficial to you to OPEN YOUR MIND and try to understand what other think than to just preach what you think you know. You might learn a thing or two.

No, it means that you're just insecure about how you've built up your Jeep and make excuses for it by giving it a label. Just because some people work hard to build a Jeep that can actually GO ANYWHERE doesn't mean that they deserve a label limiting them to just one type of wheeling. :naw:

Just because you can carry more stuff doesn't mean you need to carry overpriced kitchen sets or tents the size of a house to get out and explore. For the most part, that is EXACTLY what self-proclaimed "overlanders" do with all that extra space. If you were really realistic about your Jeep, you would buy gear and pack accordingly.

Top Bottom