Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the original intent of this thread was to laugh at the elitist types that prefer to call themselves "over landers" and that it's really a silly distinction because "rock crawling rigs" (as labeled by self proclaimed "over landers") are just as capable, if not more so than a "overland" rig. That's all.

Shhhh!! :dont_tell: This bonehead might actually read what you're saying and realize what a dumbass he's being :crazyeyes:

SteelBadger

I call my Jeep an overlander because I can't afford to build a Moby or something truly awesome like that. It helps protect my wittle feelings.:boohoo:

Fred

LOL! Here comes the poor me, I am so innocent, everyone is so mean bullshit. You came here looking for a fight. You had to search out this thread to find it and that's what you did. Your self pity isn't welcomed here.

And to be clear, that is just your uneducated opinion. That being said, it is a FACT that you could NOT take your self-proclaimed "overlanding" 4runner or Land Rover over the same terrain that my Jeep can. :yup:

That's because "overlanding" rigs are loaded up what a ton of shit that you don't really need. A well built up Jeep is weighed down with components designed not to break. As far as optimization goes, you're right, it IS entirely "subjective" and your idea of what needs to be packed is a bit different than mine. :yup:

There is way too much dick measuring and insecurity on display here. You guys seem to enjoy your version of "off-roading." Kudos to you! I think a lot of jeep owners, including myself, will find somewhere else to discuss 4x4 subjects if this is they type of "welcoming" environment you intend to foster.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
There is way too much dick measuring and insecurity on display here. You guys seem to enjoy your version of "off-roading." Kudos to you! I think a lot of jeep owners, including myself, will find somewhere else to discuss 4x4 subjects if this is they type of "welcoming" environment you intend to foster.

Well.... Bye.

No one is going to miss you.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Adios! Nobody will miss you.

Fred

And to be clear, that is just your uneducated opinion. That being said, it is a FACT that you could NOT take your self-proclaimed "overlanding" 4runner or Land Rover over the same terrain that my Jeep can. :yup:

It's not a fact. I have seen plenty of 4runners and SUV's hit the same terrain that a modded out jeep can. It's all a matter of modding priorities.

But I will acknowledge that stock jeeps are better optimized for rock crawling/technical terrain than a stock 4runner or LR4, because of its solid axles.

You do realize how suspension robustness, reliability, simplicity, and wheel articulation factors into off-roading right?

Funny, I don't run ANY aftermarket skid plates on my BIG white Jeep running 40" tires but being that it is a Jeep, ummm, yeah, it came with solid axles front and rear. That being said, I would trade them in for a top shelf IFS/IRS setup if one were available. :idontknow:

Yeah, that makes so much sense!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd hedge that bet if I were you.

Well Mr. I live in the United States but probably lives in New York or somewhere back east (that's where most self-proclaimed elitist overlanders live of course), how about you tell us where all you've been here in the United States and prove me wrong.

And that 6.2L V8 is an awesome motor, but is also a gas guzzler. I'm sure you can and do travel to remote places with it, but my point was that there are more optimal motors/vehicles for that kind of travel (ie ones with better gas mileage).

Ummm, we live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Even here in Northern Nevada where you really do have to worry about things like gas, it really is HARD to run out of gas so long as you plan properly. And, I should add that my 6.2L V8 actually gets BETTER MPG than my old 3.8L motor. But hey, what do I know. Clearly, you're the self-professed overlanding expert here so you must be right. ;)

As for the rest of your post, especially the part referring to me as a pretentious person who likes to call himself an "overlander," again you are missing my point.

:cheesy: No, I think I got your point just fine.

I really don't care what people refer to my camping/exploring as. They can call it car camping for all I care.

:cheesy: So, what brought you here again?

My point is everyone choses to use their jeeps in different ways...why not embrace that?

And my point is that everyone does chose to use their Jeeps in different ways... why not embrace that?

USMC Wrangler

Wait! This is an Internet forum? Dang, wrong turn again...

I can't take it anymore! All these people here telling me how I must mod and drive my Jeep...lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: You came here to discuss something? Funny, all I've been hearing is you preaching at us and trying to make excuses as to why your dick is so short or so to speak. But hey, if you enjoy your limited and narrow minded version of "off-roading", kudos to you!

Oh, BTW, don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave :standing wave:

Fred

And my point is that everyone does chose to use their Jeeps in different ways... why not embrace that?

You're not embracing any other ways but your own. To refer to overlanding as purely a fad or trending superficial activity, is pretty much missing the mark entirely on what other jeep owners are doing when they go somewhere other than Moab or a 3 hour trail ride for their off road adventure.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You're not embracing any other ways but your own. To refer to overlanding as purely a fad or trending superficial activity, is pretty much missing the mark entirely on what other jeep owners are doing when they go somewhere other than Moab or a 3 hour trail ride for their off road adventure.

And saying rock crawlers are just rock crawlers does that same thing.

You are an idiot. Or a troll. Or both.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a fact. I have seen plenty of 4runners and SUV's hit the same terrain that a modded out jeep can. It's all a matter of modding priorities.

Funny, I haven't seen any of them on the kind of terrain I can run with my Jeep. But hey, if you said it on the internet, it must be true :crazyeyes:

But I will acknowledge that stock jeeps are better optimized for rock crawling/technical terrain than a stock 4runner or LR4, because of its solid axles.

You do realize how suspension robustness, reliability, simplicity, and wheel articulation factors into off-roading right?

:cheesy: Nah, I'm just a dumbass with a big Jeep. Please educate me on the finer points of suspension robustness, reliability, simplicity, and wheel articulation :yup:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
... trying to make excuses as to why your dick is so short or so to speak.

Oh, BTW, don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave :standing wave:
^^^this^^^

To refer to overlanding as purely a fad or trending superficial activity, is pretty much missing the mark entirely on what other jeep owners are doing when they go somewhere other than Moab or a 3 hour trail ride for their off road adventure.

You are talking like your a. Authority in the matter..... Funny, the irony of your posts.

Fred

And saying rock crawlers are just rock crawlers does that same thing.

You are an idiot. Or a troll. Or both.

If you go back and read what I actually wrote, you'll see that I said rock crawlers have different priorities and use their rigs differently from someone who is just exploring state land in Utah or Maine.

I didn't say one type of 4x4 was better or worse than the other, though many of you seemed to interpret my comments as derogatory.

Top Bottom