Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you go back and read what I actually wrote, you'll see that I said rock crawlers have different priorities and use their rigs differently from someone who is just exploring state land in Utah or Maine.

I didn't say one type of 4x4 was better or worse than the other, though many of you seemed to interpret my comments as derogatory.

Please enlighten me as to what my priorities are. I must not know what they are.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
You're not embracing any other ways but your own. To refer to overlanding as purely a fad or trending superficial activity, is pretty much missing the mark entirely on what other jeep owners are doing when they go somewhere other than Moab or a 3 hour trail ride for their off road adventure.

I think you've missed the point of this entire thread! :greyno:

Fred

^^^this^^^

You are talking like your a. Authority in the matter..... Funny, the irony of your posts.

Because I actually don't use my jeep anymore to go rock crawling or visit my local off-roading park or trail area for a few hours. I use it to go explore old roads and trails and camp in remote areas. So I do speak from experience when I say there are differences between the 2 activities.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're not embracing any other ways but your own.

Actually, I think that's my line :idontknow: :crazyeyes:

To refer to overlanding as purely a fad or trending superficial activity, is pretty much missing the mark entirely on what other jeep owners are doing when they go somewhere other than Moab or a 3 hour trail ride for their off road adventure.

:cheesy: You ARE from the east coast!!

To refer to built up Jeeps as being "rock crawlers" that only go to Moab or do 3 hour runs for their off road adventure is pretty much missing the mark entirely as to what other Jeep owners really do with their Jeeps. Just sayin.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Because I actually don't use my jeep anymore to go rock crawling or visit my local off-roading park or trail area for a few hours. I use it to go explore old roads and trails and camp in remote areas. So I do speak from experience when I say there are differences between the 2 activities.

Dead giveaway. He is from the east coast where they have "offroad parks" so it's a good thing he brings extra fuel.

Fred

To refer to built up Jeeps as being "rock crawlers" that only go to Moab or do 3 hour runs for their off road adventure is pretty much missing the mark entirely as to what other Jeep owners really do with their Jeeps. Just sayin.

So if I acknowledge that I made a false assumption about certain jeep owners, will you acknowledge that you made a false assumption about other jeep owners (whom you referred to as pretentious with too much shit on their rigs)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you go back and read what I actually wrote, you'll see that I said rock crawlers have different priorities and use their rigs differently from someone who is just exploring state land in Utah or Maine.

Didn't know that was a fact. I guess I had better stop traveling across the U.S. in my built up Jeep exploring the country. :idontknow:

I didn't say one type of 4x4 was better or worse than the other, though many of you seemed to interpret my comments as derogatory.

:cheesy: Even if you did mean to say one type of 4x4 was better or worse in a derogatory way, I can assure you that you are the only one offended here :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Because I actually don't use my jeep anymore to go rock crawling or visit my local off-roading park or trail area for a few hours.

LOL!! And I wouldn't want to go wheeling at Rauch Creek for a few hours either.

I use it to go explore old roads and trails and camp in remote areas.

And exactly where in New York are their places to explore that are so remote you need an "overlanding" rig? :crazyeyes:

So I do speak from experience when I say there are differences between the 2 activities.

:cheesy: You'll forgive me but, you don't have a clue as to what some of us do with our Jeeps.

MarkW13

You're not embracing any other ways but your own. To refer to overlanding as purely a fad or trending superficial activity, is pretty much missing the mark entirely on what other jeep owners are doing when they go somewhere other than Moab or a 3 hour trail ride for their off road adventure.

My "crawlers" as you call them have never been on a trail that can be accomplished in 3 hours. They have no snorkel, but have seen water mid grill. I assure you that when I'm 16 miles from smooth dirt trails they do just fine without the sick exoskeleton roof rack and snorkel. Over landing is merely jeep camping. A stock jeep can do that. You can save your money for some better mods, get outside your box and see what Jeeping is all about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if I acknowledge that I made a false assumption about certain jeep owners, will you acknowledge that you made a false assumption about other jeep owners (whom you referred to as pretentious with too much shit on their rigs)?

You can acknowledge whatever you want but I made no assumptions. You have and still are making my case with every post you make. :yup:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Careful on those three hour tours Eddie. You might get stranded on an island.

Vulpine

Certainly I have seen some jeeps serve as overland vehicles. There are a lot of options to chose from. And there most certainly are nuanced differences in the builds/equipment between a "rock crawling" rig and an "overlanding" one. I don't see why we have to criticize people simply for having different goals in mind.

Since the JKU came out back in '07, the Jeep Wrangler has been used as an expedition vehicle more than once. One of the most notable excursions was the climb up the side of a Chilean volcano a few years back. The JKU does offer reasonable ride quality and all-terrain capability certainly no worse than the other vehicles you mentioned and to some extent better than them--they're capable of competing with far more expensive brands that are more commonly noted for such expeditions.

Top Bottom