Rubicon Winter Rescue

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Apparently two guys with ATVs on tracks went in the week before. They had GPS coordinates and used long poles to find the exact spot.

This makes complete sense. The troubled party saved the GPS coordinates and returned with a search party. Then they used avalanche probes to find the vehicle. From the photo, they could have used 7 foot poles but likely they had to resort to 10 footers. Hitting a vehicle with a probe would be very noticeable. As compared to the ground, where there would be no give at all. In my experience, hitting an avalanche victim is different, like poking a big sack of wet clothes. When you are in a probe line and you get a "hit", you leave the probe there and more probes are used to confirm the hole. Leaving the probes in, people start digging.

Great work of the recovery crew to get that hole dug. I have dug my share of holes in the snow and with the solid consolidation of the snow, that hole probably took at least half the day.

I saw that earlier. Not sure what the plan is. Other thing that is mind boggling is how they knew exactly where to dig and were directly on top of the jeep. Little weird to me.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^ Negative. They tried and it turned over but won't start, presumptively because of back pressure. The general thought is that the exhaust somehow packed with snow or that perhaps it is crushed. That is actually why the winch lines are hooked up in the picture. They pulled the Jeep forward a foot or so to see if freeing the tailpipe from the snow bank would allow it to start.

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
My back is sore just looking at the depth & width of the hole and those shovels...and that's just one of the buried jeeps. It's going to be an interesting thaw...

Rubicon310

I'm ignorant when it comes to a recovery like this but how exactly would they extract that vehicle from there?

1. Find the vehicle(s)
2. Dig out around the vehicle
3. Then what?

I see winch lines tied up and as someone else mentioned, it was to pull the vehicle forward a bit. What's next?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I don't think I'd try it, been frozen for 4 months that oil will be solid in the engine. Might want to set a pan of coals under engine to help warm up oil first. Just my thoughts.

I don't think oil s gonna freeze at 32•F [emoji849] if the block was full of water and not antifreeze that might cause some issues. ( with how smart these guys were to begin with, it wouldn't surprise me.)

WJCO

Meme King
I backpack year round and even in single degree weather, I have buried water bottles in the snow and it does stay water throughout the night. However, if the water were to turn to ice before the snow fell and then stayed under the snow, I'm not sure how long it would take to thaw or if it would stay at 32f :idontknow:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I would assume the Jeep is toast or any other vehicle buried I that much snow. It appears there is significant damage to the body alone. The A-pillar on the passenger side is bowed out and it appears the roof is now smashed inwards. That much compacted snow probably makes light work in smashing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't help but wonder when the trail will be passable with minimal/ no snow

Back in 2011, it snow a lot really late in the winter, nothing like this year mind you but the first anyone was breaking trail then was 4th of July weekend. I suspect it'll be like that this year as well.

benatc1

Hooked
Back in 2011, it snow a lot really late in the winter, nothing like this year mind you but the first anyone was breaking trail then was 4th of July weekend. I suspect it'll be like that this year as well.

That's crazy but kinda what I was thinking too, based on the snow pack and ski resorts time lines. My new boss just happens to be a Jeep guy, and doing the jamboree up there is this summer for the first time ever, so we were taking about it yesterday. Sure those first few weeks will be a mess up there!

pop2tu

I would assume the Jeep is toast or any other vehicle buried I that much snow. It appears there is significant damage to the body alone. The A-pillar on the passenger side is bowed out and it appears the roof is now smashed inwards. That much compacted snow probably makes light work in smashing.

You got me thinking, so I did some quick searching and rough estimates. A cubic foot of snow can weigh anywhere from 7lbs for light snow, heavy wet snow can weigh 15lbs, and if it has drifted and got wet it can weigh 20lbs. I guessed the roof of a XJ measures approximately 5' X 7' and the snow was 6' deep (really looks deeper) that equals 210 cubic feet. so a light (Dry) snow would weigh 1470lbs, a heavy (wet) snow would weigh 3150lbs, and a if it had got wet and weighed 20lbs that would be 4200lbs on that roof. No wonder A pillars are bowed out! :eek:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
You got me thinking, so I did some quick searching and rough estimates. A cubic foot of snow can weigh anywhere from 7lbs for light snow, heavy wet snow can weigh 15lbs, and if it has drifted and got wet it can weigh 20lbs. I guessed the roof of a XJ measures approximately 5' X 7' and the snow was 6' deep (really looks deeper) that equals 210 cubic feet. so a light (Dry) snow would weigh 1470lbs, a heavy (wet) snow would weigh 3150lbs, and a if it had got wet and weighed 20lbs that would be 4200lbs on that roof. No wonder A pillars are bowed out! :eek:

Crazy right. I'm sure the snow was on the heavy end being compacted from thawing (above freezing/sun light).

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Very interesting math you've done there. I should note that the snow up here is often referred to as "Sierra Cement" being that it comes off the Pacific and is typically wet and heavy.

Top Bottom