Shark "Tank"

So, unfortunately, my Yeti 400 crapped out on me on Friday night while on my way to a weekend camping trip. Fortunately, my OEM battery with a 12 gauge wire run directly to the battery was able to run the fridge constantly. We drove enough each day that I never had any problems starting my Jeep.

This week I will do two things: (1) find out how good Goal Zero's customer service is; and, (2) get an Odyssey 34R PC1500T as a new power source for the Shark Tank.

Sorry WJCO - I just saw your question. These are Voodoo Tactical Utility pouches and they have built in molle/pals connectors on the back. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactic...4719590&sr=8-2&keywords=voodoo+tactical+pouch

Cool. Thanks. I'll probably end up getting one for all of my tire inflation stuff. I want to get my new compressor and gauge in my hands first (already ordered) to see what all accessories I have to order the right size pouch.

So, unfortunately, my Yeti 400 crapped out on me on Friday night while on my way to a weekend camping trip. Fortunately, my OEM battery with a 12 gauge wire run directly to the battery was able to run the fridge constantly. We drove enough each day that I never had any problems starting my Jeep.

This week I will do two things: (1) find out how good Goal Zero's customer service is; and, (2) get an Odyssey 34R PC1500T as a new power source for the Shark Tank.

Sucks. At least you have a known-good field test now to know how your Jeep can power your fridge in an emergency situation.

I have that smuttybilt one. Very convenient, holds a lot of my stuff with the molle bags. I have the bartact seat covers too, with more molle bags. Mollie heaven inside my jeep.

Attachments

• 1464720573718.jpg
    1464720573718.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 272

When you say the Yeti 400 "crapped out" do you mean it's dead, and won't take a charge, or just sucked the power down real quick?
Just curious because I've been experimenting with both of these and the fridge (when running) sure draws the power down fast on the yeti.

When you say the Yeti 400 "crapped out" do you mean it's dead, and won't take a charge, or just sucked the power down real quick?
Just curious because I've been experimenting with both of these and the fridge (when running) sure draws the power down fast on the yeti.

Crapped out as in won't function. Says it is charging, says it is full, but when I plug the fridge in the Yeti screen flashes everything and then the entire unit shuts off. It also won't fully power two 12 volt Goal Zero lights-a-life 350's at the same time. They are sending me a new battery. I've only had this since September. Hopefully the new battery lasts longer. I never drained this one below 20% and when not in use I kept it plugged into 110 at home.

What you have to remember about the fridge is it rarely cycles full power. Most of the time the draw I was getting was only about 2-7. When the compressor kicks in it would jump to 40 or so but that wasn't often.

Crapped out as in won't function. Says it is charging, says it is full, but when I plug the fridge in the Yeti screen flashes everything and then the entire unit shuts off. It also won't fully power two 12 volt Goal Zero lights-a-life 350's at the same time. They are sending me a new battery. I've only had this since September. Hopefully the new battery lasts longer. I never drained this one below 20% and when not in use I kept it plugged into 110 at home.

What you have to remember about the fridge is it rarely cycles full power. Most of the time the draw I was getting was only about 2-7. When the compressor kicks in it would jump to 40 or so but that wasn't often.

Is it a lithium ion or nickel cadmium battery?

Glad to hear they're taking care of you with the battery.
Thanks for the feedback.

57 pages later. I am inspired by your build. Great looking rig, Sharkey!

I am planning on building a similar storage space in the back, except adding some full extension drawers and making the platform completely flat with the fold down seats (for camping where a tent is impractical).

A question I had about the storage build: have you had any noticeable issues with the brackets that bolt to the jeep connecting the vertical walls, not being stable/strong enough? perhaps with side to side motion on the trail? I am entertaining different methods of fastening to the floor of the jeep, and I really like the way you used existing points, not having to drill holes in the floor.

Thanks for documenting all this stuff! Very cool to see how its moving along.

Last edited:
57 pages later. I am inspired by your build. Great looking rig, Sharkey!

I am planning on building a similar storage space in the back, except adding some full extension drawers and making the platform completely flat with the fold down seats (for camping where a tent is impractical).

A question I had about the storage build: have you had any noticeable issues with the brackets that bolt to the jeep connecting the vertical walls, not being stable/strong enough? perhaps with side to side motion on the trail? I am entertaining different methods of fastening to the floor of the jeep, and I really like the way you used existing points, not having to drill holes in the floor.

Thanks for documenting all this stuff! Very cool to see how its moving along.

No issues at all. Over the last weekend I probably logged 100+ miles of dirt driving, some of it slow and rocky and some of it at 60 mph on gravel. At all times, I had a loaded ARB fridge and 10+ gallons of water on the top of the deck. Really, with everything screwed and bolted together, I don't see how the brackets could move in any direction.

Looks like the next mini-mod to go on Shark Tank is going to be the set of EVO rock skins I have sitting in my garage. A few questions for the masses. Have any of you blacked out the heads on the bolts? If so, what did you use? Have any of you sourced black stainless bolts to use instead of the supplied hardware? If so, where did you get them and how much did they cost?

Thanks!

Looks like the next mini-mod to go on Shark Tank is going to be the set of EVO rock skins I have sitting in my garage. A few questions for the masses. Have any of you blacked out the heads on the bolts? If so, what did you use? Have any of you sourced black stainless bolts to use instead of the supplied hardware? If so, where did you get them and how much did they cost?

Thanks!

I looked for black stainless ones and couldn't find any. Let me know if you do.

Thanks!

While I haven't seen the skins in person, they look similarly textured like other Jeep parts. The Rustoleum Truckbed coating works awesome to match a fine texture. Just stick the bolts through a piece of cardboard ahead of time and paint away and let them dry. That ARB mount I just made used that same paint, not sure if the texture shows up in the pics.

EDIT: See my posts in this thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34059-Lod-slider-damage

Love this stuff.

Last edited:

Thanks!

I installed my skins, taped everything off and then used Rustoleum bedliner on the whole thing. I mean realistically I don't see myself ever pulling them off and even I did, they'd be easy enough to touch up. Mine were aluminum though and needed some sort of paint job.

Thanks!

Likely not of a lot of help for you, but somewhat local to me (near my parents home) is a place called king bolt co. When I needed a few extra bolts for my cage install, they had a great selection, insanely more than Fastenal. If you know the size, etc I'm sure you could give them a call. (626) 339-8400 It's a small shop, but has been in the same location since I was 13, if not longer. That's a long fucking time. Lol.

Another question. How well would paint adhere to powder coat? I'm considering painting the powdercoat tank green.

Another question. How well would paint adhere to powder coat? I'm considering painting the powdercoat tank green.

Very well. If prepped. I've rattle canned my skins and sliders several times after powder. Sometimes I use a primer first. Depends on which paint. No issues chipping, etc and the powder is a much stronger base. IMO.

Top Bottom