Shark "Tank"

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Having that sub in the floor is pretty cool for a project like this. In my 2012, the sub box creates all sorts of issues.

It's a mixed blessing. You lose some covered storage space but gain some uncovered space. That's part of the driving factor of what I am doing. Gain back some covered, but secured, space.

I'm building it to stay in the Jeep, and removal won't be an easy task so I still need to be able to lift the OEM cover enough to get out the jack.

If I had the sub on the side, I'd do the delete kit and then move the sub into the back of the frame I'm making. I'd have it fire at the back seat.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
It's a mixed blessing. You lose some covered storage space but gain some uncovered space. That's part of the driving factor of what I am doing. Gain back some covered, but secured, space.

I'm building it to stay in the Jeep, and removal won't be an easy task so I still need to be able to lift the OEM cover enough to get out the jack.

If I had the sub on the side, I'd do the delete kit and then move the sub into the back of the frame I'm making. I'd have it fire at the back seat.

Relocating the sub would work in a permanent solution. I'm wanting to take the shelf out for when moving larger items.

I'm watching along hoping I can pick up an idea or two between you and MTG. So looks like your doing about the same height he has?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Relocating the sub would work in a permanent solution. I'm wanting to take the shelf out for when moving larger items.

I'm watching along hoping I can pick up an idea or two between you and MTG. So looks like your doing about the same height he has?

I don't know what the height is on his. I based height on the size of some key items I want to fit in there, like the goal zero yeti 400 I have coming and a variety of pelican cases.

Edit: ultimately, I will make a second piece to go over the seats when folded so I have a solid sleeping/storage surface if the need arises.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I don't know what the height is on his. I based height on the size of some key items I want to fit in there, like the goal zero yeti 400 I have coming and a variety of pelican cases.

Just looked that up. That's pretty cool. What all do you plan to power with it? So I'm guessing off the birch your shelf is about 18" high?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just looked that up. That's pretty cool. What all do you plan to power with it? So I'm guessing off the birch your shelf is about 18" high?

The shelf will be about 9" high from the floor finished.

As for the goal zero, it will power an ARB fridge over night. With the right solar combo, it will power one indefinitely. Part of my build and long term plans have some survival/long-term camping elements to them. Because of that, I am moving towards solar with a lot of my gear (headlamps, rechargeable flashlights, lanterns, etc. ).

JAGS

Hooked
As for the goal zero, it will power an ARB fridge over night. With the right solar combo, it will power one indefinitely. Part of my build and long term plans have some survival/long-term camping elements to them. Because of that, I am moving towards solar with a lot of my gear (headlamps, rechargeable flashlights, lanterns, etc. ).

That sounds awesome. Very unique. Will be cool to see how you rig everything up. 👍

Sharkey

Word Ninja
#thezombiesarecomingrun

Lol does he have a jeep in his under ground bunker too?

Lol. Nope, just hoping to get to a point where I have the time to take some longer camping trips where I set up a base camp and explore from there. It's nice to be able to set up camp, and the kitchen, and leave. Being able to leave the fridge and keep it running is a plus.

Another point. In some spots, the use of bear boxes is important. Having a fridge in the Jeep is a good way to end up with a messed up Jeep. With the yeti, you can put the fridge and the yeti in the bear box and you are good to go.

Whether I get to take those kind of trips is another story...but this time around I'm building stuff the way I want for the long haul.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Had a little time to get some more work done. Decided to countersink an aluminum support across the gate side span. Haven't decided if I'll keep the extra tail going over to the passenger side. Might be worth it if I decide to mount the fridge on that side.

Also, I will be installing a dedicated 12-volt on the cross piece behind the rear seat. I've been told the factory plug in the rear won't run a fridge well.

As you can see from the pics, there should be enough room behind the rear seat and in front of the box for a driveshaft or some longer tools.

So far, I like it. Even without a lid it is very sturdy.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438566034.125311.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438566053.368148.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438566075.222135.jpg

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Because I'm using the support, I've decided not to cut the lid flush with the rear gate.

I will be putting a trail table on the rear gate so I left myself a little room as you can see in this pic. With a trail table installed, there will be about 1" from the end of the lid to the folded up table. Definitely too little room for prying hands to fish stuff out front under the lid. Even so, I may end up making a removable front piece to fully enclose everything and help with dust control. That, or I will put some molding to eat up the 1".

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438566475.035391.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Man, you've really been working hard to catch up on a lot of lost time! Lookin real good!!

Top Bottom