Smokers, grills, and the B-B-Qs

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Never used one. So are the pellets what gives it the flavor? Like different kind of flavors?

I believe so. They have the different wood pellets, hickory, mesquite etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep. It's just like putting chips in a masterbilt or something like that. Just pellet form. And they have a circulator fan inside as well. They're great and pretty fool proof. I just kind of prefer to make an event out of it and sit around tending to the smoker drinking beers. Green mountain grills also makes a great pellet smoker. Most will say better than the traeger.

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, Traeggers are as easy as they say. Never saw the Green mountain grill. The only thing that hasn't come out was burgers. They sucked. LOL, they actually looked like goddam meatballs!
One of my favorites other than the meats was the corn on the cob we did - it was awesome. You'll never boil it again!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Yeah, Traeggers are as easy as they say. Never saw the Green mountain grill. The only thing that hasn't come out was burgers. They sucked. LOL, they actually looked like goddam meatballs!
One of my favorites other than the meats was the corn on the cob we did - it was awesome. You'll never boil it again!

Oh man, I love burgers on the traeger. We use mesquite which may make the difference if you were using something else. I'd suggest another go at it. I also fry up some bacon, chop it into bits and mix it in with the patty meat.

Ddays

Hooked
IDK what the hell we did but they shrunk up and looked like footballs. They tasted fine but you couldn't fit the damn things on buns without cutting them in half! We went back to the grill for them! Maybe we'll try again.

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

GAdawg88

Got the Masterbuilt fired up and smoking pork tenderloins for Wild Card Sunday! 20170108_142958.jpg 20170108_170205.jpg
This smoker has been about the best Christmas present ever. No more re-coaling every few hours like the old Brinkmann.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kyle7R

I'm in the market for a good gas grill and was considering starting a thread asking for advice! Perfect thread, thank you!

For gas grill, I haven't had one yet that can beat my Weber.

As for smokers, I have a big offset cooker that my grandpa built way before I was born.

There's 5 or so of them floating around, and I have the smallest one.

When I bought my house, my dad helped me sand it down and repaint it. Added a new thermometer and grates.

20160507_161514.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

agiron

How hard is it to control temp with charcoal, I'd like to go that route as I'm sure it imparts the most flavor, but imagine it would be the hardest to control temp

WJCO

Meme King
How hard is it to control temp with charcoal, I'd like to go that route as I'm sure it imparts the most flavor, but imagine it would be the hardest to control temp

It's a little tricky at first, but you get used to it. Kind of a learn as you go kind of thing. Check reviews and make sure it comes with an accurate temperature gauge. Also the larger the smoker, the more room you have to move the meat away from the firebox if you have to.

Kyle7R

I start with charcoal, and use a mixture of firewood and charcoal depending on the cook.

Most of it is knowing your pit. A cheap, thin, flimsy pit will not keep temp as well as a well made one. Mine will keep temp for hours on end.
I'm thinking about just gettin an electric one, what do y'all think of those

Real smokers have curves :cheesy:

I'm very biased when it comes to smoking foods. I understand the appeal of the electric smokers but I take pride in having tended a fire for the duration of a cook and enjoying the end result.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

deadguy

All I use is charcoal and chunk wood. On one load I can get 12 hours of cook time at 225 on my Weber Smokey mountain. I use a pitmaster iq temp regulator to keep things in check. 1484019927690.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom