SPY SHOTS - 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is the drivetrain is the JL and they are using the jk body for testing purposes.

You might be right but I'd have to agree with AllPar when they state that this looks like the same mule that we saw before only with a lot of camo on it. The finished and factory looking longer hood would have been taken a lot of work to make just for testing purposes and sloped grill under the face camo looks like a production piece too.

Ddays

Hooked
This mule still has the folding windshield. Thought that was going away?
If this is the finished deal I'm a little disappointed. I always measure the design of a new
vehicle based on how bad it makes me want it. This is certainly ok and there is nothing
wrong with it, but it's nowhere near enough to make me want to go out & buy one. Hopefully this
is a drive train mule & there is more to come...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If this is the finished deal I'm a little disappointed. I always measure the design of a new
vehicle based on how bad it makes me want it. This is certainly ok and there is nothing
wrong with it, but it's nowhere near enough to make me want to go out & buy one. Hopefully this

Good eye on the windshield. Like you, I'm hopeful that what we're looking at really is just a drivetrain mule.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Damn, I thought I caught it first. Maybe the JL is less of a "from scratch" recipe than we've been expecting? I mean if Maserati is using the dashboard gear from Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep platforms you've got to wonder.

JamesWyatt

I think the grill and windshield are the current JK ones. They only look more angled because of the lens distortion in the photo. Look at the way the front tire is distorted in a similar way.

JamesWyatt

I'm still holding out hope for what a dealer who saw the JL reveal at the FCA event last year said, which was the grille was smaller, more vertical, angled back only across the top, and the headlights pushed into the end vertical slats like the CJs. They said the windshield was more vertical, not more slanted, and it would fold down more easily. They said the hood was more angular, as it has to become more narrow to meet the smaller grille in front.

I can't remember the link/source for this, but I do remember reading it reported by a writer who spoke to a dealer who saw it. At the time right after the reveal I didn't see anyone reporting an eye witness say it had a more slanted grill or windshield - I've only read that more recently. That doesn't mean it wasn't reported initially, only that's how I remember it.

It may not happen and may be wishful thinking, but dear lord I would love a smaller, more vertical grill and a more vertical, more-easily folded windshield. I think they can achieve the CEO-promised 30 MPG without resorting to suppository styling just by adding the diesel and turbo 4 options combined with the 8-speed auto.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
A folding windshield is probably pretty high up on the chopping block. IMHO, they are pointless except to make it easier to put in some cages.

...and why would they do something that makes gas mileage worse? (A more vertical windshield)

JamesWyatt

A folding windshield is probably pretty high up on the chopping block. IMHO, they are pointless except to make it easier to put in some cages.

Jeep heritage - only real reason I like it. Well, that and I can get a clear shot off while road raging in stop and go rush hour traffic.

...and why would they do something that makes gas mileage worse? (A more vertical windshield)

Because it looks cool? :p

In the 100+ degree summers here I appreciate how the vertical windshield keeps the sun out of the cabin. I also think the vertical windshield is what makes the Wrangler look like a Jeep, and I guess by Jeep I mean the Willys. It took me from '07 to '11 to buy a JK because the slanted grille and windshield was such a big departure from the TJ. I think Jeep makes enough models with slanted windshields and torpedo styling.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
In the 100+ degree summers here I appreciate how the vertical windshield keeps the sun out of the cabin. I also think the vertical windshield is what makes the Wrangler look like a Jeep, and I guess by Jeep I mean the Willys.

same here......

Sessoms14X

Not sure if ya guys have seen these ones yet. Can see the grille and bit of the headlights on these. Look like HID headlights?
1471039746797.jpg 1471039925916.jpg 1471039934852.jpg

Top Bottom