Swapping AEV 2'5 DS Coils for EVO Plush Rides

vitodivita

I worded that wrong, yes I need to get a drag-link flip and adjustable arms.. I was told the Jeep will not drive right if I keep the geo brackets on.

BadApple

My Plush rides (3") on the 2 dr added 3 3/4" I have no heavy bumpers and no winch and mine sits a little nose high. I also ran mine with the AEV Geo Brackets for a while and it had no effect it definitely did change the ride in the front from when i had a BB and factory Control arms.

vitodivita

Brought it over to a friend, he shared the same thoughts, that the Jeep rode like shit, and felt the rear was bouncing way too much. Turns out the rear passenger shock is completely shot and driver's side shock is also leaking oil. I'm kinda hoping that after 1 year AEV will warranty this.

While I would love to remove the whole lift and start over, it's just way too costly. If I could go back in time I wouldn't have been so conservative and settled with the AEV lift, I would have went for an EVO lift or even MetalCloak.

vitodivita

Just putting it out there, I switched out the AEV Bilstein shocks with Rancho 9000 Shocks and it is a night and day difference..I know it's purely subjective, but the Jeep is riding wonderfully now! I wasn't ready to tear apart the whole lift, and this was a very cost effective "upgrade"..

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Just putting it out there, I switched out the AEV Bilstein shocks with Rancho 9000 Shocks and it is a night and day difference..I know it's purely subjective, but the Jeep is riding wonderfully now! I wasn't ready to tear apart the whole lift, and this was a very cost effective "upgrade"..

oh good. a blown shock can really suck

vitodivita

I asked EVO, what if I did a straight swap of coils?

They said- Your vehicle will not track/drive correctly.

Last edited:

vitodivita

I have a 2.5 AEV lift with geo brackets. I asked EVO, if I swapped the 2.5" AEV springs for the 3" plush rides, would that work fine, they said NO. They said I needed adjustable arms and a drag-link flip.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2.5 AEV lift with geo brackets. I asked EVO, if I swapped the 2.5" AEV springs for the 3" plush rides, would that work fine, they said NO. They said I needed adjustable arms and a drag-link flip.

Technically, they're right. With their 3" coils, you would have a taller ride height and because of it, your steering geometry would be off and your front axle would benefit from a bit more positive caster. Is it required that you install adjustable front lower control arms and a draglink flip/track bar relocation kit? No. But, you would benefit from better handling with them.

vitodivita

All in all, I'm not complaining either way, I should've known better than to choose AEV in the first place...In too deep at this point to switch it all out.

Use the middle 3.5" hole for caster. AEV has 3 settings for 2.5/3.5/4.5 and does include a drag link flip w/ 3.5/4.5
Will you need a drag link flip ? It's possible. Not really understanding why it wouldn't work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Use the middle 3.5" hole for caster. AEV has 3 settings for 2.5/3.5/4.5 and does include a drag link flip w/ 3.5/4.5
Will you need a drag link flip ? It's possible. Not really understanding why it wouldn't work.

He has a 2.5" kit and it didn't come with a drag link flip.

vitodivita

So I'd be going 2/3 of the way by simply changing a setting on the brackets, buying a drag link flip, and buying new coils. Perhaps in the future?

That is where I'm at. 3.5" but with Rancho's brackets and a drag link flip.
I do have front uppers but set to stock length. The brackets are temp until I decide on arms. Synergy/evo/Currie .. Something with JJ's.

Durbish

No drag-link flip is required, and if you do use one you'll lose bump travel, I run 3-4" coils 145lb. coils (softer than most I know) 26"ish long shocks, 10"ish travel, works fine... another thing with reducing bump with soft coils, you don't generate higher spring force at full bump. Make sure caster is adjusted.... I use AEV brackets, again no issue at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No drag-link flip is required, and if you do use one you'll lose bump travel, I run 3-4" coils 145lb. coils (softer than most I know) 26"ish long shocks, 10"ish travel, works fine... another thing with reducing bump with soft coils, you don't generate higher spring force at full bump. Make sure caster is adjusted.... I use AEV brackets, again no issue at all.

While I would agree that a draglink flip is not required, not having one with that much lift will cause your steering geometry to be quite off. Having one will help improve handling. As far as "bump travel" goes, exactly how do you lose it just because you install one?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I think he meant "up travel". I personally think it's worth the trade off. But some people don't like the idea of running a 3" bump stop.

Panda

Not to hijack this thread but I have a question on this subject if anyone can answer, on a 2dr can I get away without the rear upper control arms for a run? Will it hurt anything? I'm pondering installing the enforcer lift before our rubicon run :thinking: also will my stock driveshafts survive the one run? :broke:

Top Bottom