Swapping AEV 2'5 DS Coils for EVO Plush Rides

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I really want to do this swap as well, but not sure if I want to run a drag link flip....I don't wheel nearly that much and don't want to start playing with the steering as good shops are not really existent here like they are out west, and I don't trust to get anyone to do it right IF I screw something up. I guess the consensus is that swapping the EVO 3" for the AEV 2.5 and getting an alignment (with adj. control arms) is a no go without the flip kit right? I want the jeep to drive like stock (with the AEV 2.5, it does, but the ride is a bit rough for my taste, and I run 9000 ranchos.)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I really want to do this swap as well, but not sure if I want to run a drag link flip....I don't wheel nearly that much and don't want to start playing with the steering as good shops are not really existent here like they are out west, and I don't trust to get anyone to do it right IF I screw something up. I guess the consensus is that swapping the EVO 3" for the AEV 2.5 and getting an alignment (with adj. control arms) is a no go without the flip kit right? I want the jeep to drive like stock (with the AEV 2.5, it does, but the ride is a bit rough for my taste, and I run 9000 ranchos.)

I have 4.5" of lift with no drag link flip. It's not recommended and ride quality suffers but with 3" of lift it won't make a huge difference over the 2.5" you have now.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have 4.5" of lift with no drag link flip. It's not recommended and ride quality suffers but with 3" of lift it won't make a huge difference over the 2.5" you have now.

I also run fairly heavy (full width steels front/rear with winch, carrier, 35s) so Im hoping my net lift with the 3" plush rides will be close to the far stiffer AEV 2.5s. My main reason for wanting to switch out to softer springs isn't so much ride quality as the jeep itself....as we know, the wrangler isn't exactly built like a lexus, so the stiff AEV springs seem to introduce more rattling than I'd like.

vitodivita

I went with the flip kit because I wanted to make sure I did everything that evo recommended. The only frustrating part was the odd drill bit size for the steering knuckle. The ride is most definetely soft and not jarring like the aev.

The only parts I don't have from the enforcer lift is the hd swaybar links and rear trackbar (aev came with one and I have JKS in front.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I went with the flip kit because I wanted to make sure I did everything that evo recommended. The only frustrating part was the odd drill bit size for the steering knuckle. The ride is most definetely soft and not jarring like the aev.

The only parts I don't have from the enforcer lift is the hd swaybar links and rear trackbar (aev came with one and I have JKS in front.

Yea, I have the AEV rear TB and a teraflex front (I know I know, this was before I knew anything).....Upper control arms arent necessary?

vitodivita

The enforcer lift doesn't come with the upper arms, and I recall a post in this thread (I think) mentioning they are not necessary.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Correct, you don't need the upper control arms. You can adjust the lowers to get the correct caster. I don't think Evo even makes front uppers.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Sounds good. I'll put this on the back burner, as I wanted to get C gussets and balljoints done first. On a side note, me thinks EVO would sell quite a few if they came out with 2.5" plushrides....seems lots lots of guys all over various jeep forums would love to swap out. The AEV 2.5" is a pretty popular lift and if there were direct swap 2.5" evo springs, I think they'd sell em by the jeepload.

vitodivita

I agree! I wish there was such an option and overall better marketing. More people should know that these are probably the softest coils on the market.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I agree! I wish there was such an option and overall better marketing. More people should know that these are probably the softest coils on the market.

So are you happy you swapped?

Velvety smooth.

Truth ^

The stiffest coils I ran RK Gen 1's. The gen 2's ride well except when hitting bigger bumps/potholes. The EVO's do much better controlling the tires.
The TF coils did not ride all that bad with Rancho 9000's. 9550's ... Another story.

TheDuff

Just curious if you guys with aev 2.5" springs have measured your actual lift gain. I know a lot of other springs yield much more than advertised and I hear the evo springs are actually pretty spot on. My point being, that it's possible the difference in gain could be only 1/4" or less, making the worry over a drag link flip a non issue. On a separate note, I have over 3.5" of lift with no flip and stock arms, the jeep is perfectly drive able. Aside from my steering box issues and being a lil flighty at times, it doesn't handle any worse than stock and really, getting some lower fronts to fix my castor would probably fix the flighty feeling

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

vitodivita

Made the mistake of not measuring it, but the front is much taller and now even with the rear. It's been said before and I believe it, I think the evo gives a true 3" front and rear.

bkac

Caught the Bug
On a 4 door with all factory bumpers etc, 3" plush ride coils measurements are: front gets 3-5/8 and the rear 3-1/4 of lift.

Top Bottom