Swapping AEV 2'5 DS Coils for EVO Plush Rides

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They're not, Dave said he's ramps not the best, said if would compress if we lifted the rear tire, I know if goes to full bump, you can see the shock hit the spring set flange thing on the drivers side, just kisses it.

And that's my point. Your coil would go solid BEFORE your bump stop even had a chance to compress at all. In other words, they are completely useless and your coils are most likely over compressed. Don't know what shop would recommend a lame setup like this and on purpose but I personally would steer clear of them.

Sorry, I did cycle without coils to confirm all travel used...

I don't doubt it. You just never took account that WITH coils installed, you would over compress them or worse - have them go SOLID before you could use all that travel. :naw:

...still interested in what bump extensions used for 35 and 37 tires

For the record, I never said anything about tire size. The only time tire size is a factor when it comes to bump stop extensions is when you're trying to prevent tire rub at a full flex. Again, the PRIMARY reason for bump stop extensions and ones that are about as tall as you have lift is to help prevent the over-compression of your coils. In other words, to help prevent them from getting squashed down to the point where they no longer return to their original height.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
And that's my point. Your coil would go solid BEFORE your bump stop even had a chance to compress at all. In other words, they are completely useless and your coils are most likely over compressed. Don't know what shop would recommend a lame setup like this and on purpose but I personally would steer clear of them.

I don't doubt it. You just never took account that WITH coils installed, you would over compress them or worse - have them go SOLID before you could use all that travel. :naw:

For the record, I never said anything about tire size. The only time tire size is a factor when it comes to bump stop extensions is when you're trying to prevent tire rub at a full flex. Again, the PRIMARY reason for bump stop extensions and ones that are about as tall as you have lift is to help prevent the over-compression of your coils. In other words, to help prevent them from getting squashed down to the point where they no longer return to their original height.

Also to not bottom the shocks out.

Durbish

Block height of coil is fine, coil will not get damaged, thanks for the warm welcome and kind works.

See you in Baja

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Block height of coil is fine, coil will not get damaged

:cheesy: I suppose that's an expert opinion. I can't imagine how awesome your ride must feel when your coils go solid. But, that extra 1" of up travel is so important to have, I'm sure it's a small price to pay.

thanks for the warm welcome and kind works.

You're welcome. BTW, you never did say where you ramped your Jeep. You embarrassed to say where you work at?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Is this common practice to buy 50 sets? I'm still curious what he did with the rest? Did he ever answer this?

vitodivita

Without starting a new thread, I figure I'd bump this one

After much debating, I came to a decision. While the Rancho shocks have helped soften things, I am still feeling the "bounce" from the AEV coils. For a vehicle that costs upwards of $30k, I'm not going to let one bad lift purchase ruin the experience. So with that said, I'm making the switch. I have buyers lined up for my aev parts to help off-set the cost.

i have ordered the following:
EVO 3" Plush Coils
EVO Drag link flip
Lower Front Control Arms
Crown extended brakelines

I am very excited and will report back with my impressions! :D

olram30

Without starting a new thread, I figure I'd bump this one

After much debating, I came to a decision. While the Rancho shocks have helped soften things, I am still feeling the "bounce" from the AEV coils. For a vehicle that costs upwards of $30k, I'm not going to let one bad lift purchase ruin the experience. So with that said, I'm making the switch. I have buyers lined up for my aev parts to help off-set the cost.

i have ordered the following:
EVO 3" Plush Coils
EVO Drag link flip
Lower Front Control Arms
Crown extended brakelines

I am very excited and will report back with my impressions! :D

That's a great combo. These coils are a very nice riding coil. No weird kick or transitioning feeling with dual or triple rate coils. Hard to compare to stock coils, there are so many different coils from the factory. My old coils were compressed pretty good due to the extra weight.
Matched with the drag link flip is even better. Steering geometry is back to normal. No bump steer what so ever. Also my roll center is back on par.
I think you'll be happy with this set up.

That's a great combo. These coils are a very nice riding coil. No weird kick or transitioning feeling with dual or triple rate coils. Hard to compare to stock coils, there are so many different coils from the factory. My old coils were compressed pretty good due to the extra weight.
Matched with the drag link flip is even better. Steering geometry is back to normal. No bump steer what so ever. Also my roll center is back on par.
I think you'll be happy with this set up.

Yep .. The "kick" feeling is gone. The RK triple rate coils do ride great IMO. The Evo's just feel better. Especially under a lighter 2 door. I would not hesitate to run the RK's again.
The Evo coils seam to pair well with the Rancho 9000's. 6/5 worked for me running the RK's. 6/5 seamed a little harsh with the EVO's. I'm now running 3 front and 5 rear, the jeep rides fantastic.
Height is up there though @ 4" +

OP .. Great setup. You will love the plush rides.

bthomas

Nice to see this thread get back to some good info for those of us like myself who are looking to swap out AEV coils/lifts for something that doesn't ride like a skateboard! I'm also getting ready to pull the trigger on some EVO coils, probably the the flip kit, arms and a 1310 DS and maybe some Rancho shocks. It's Shocktober y'all! Depends on what my current AEV/Bilstein 5100's measure out to. I'm thinking of keeping the rear track bar and bracket that came with the AEV kit, it looks pretty stout. Or I'm half tempted to just rip it all out and start over with the whole EVO lift. I'll be doing some measuring on the jeep over the weekend. Every time I go out with my AEV set up, I wish I had a better ride and some better flex! It gets irritating and not so fun after awhile...

Nice to see this thread get back to some good info for those of us like myself who are looking to swap out AEV coils/lifts for something that doesn't ride like a skateboard! I'm also getting ready to pull the trigger on some EVO coils, probably the the flip kit, arms and a 1310 DS and maybe some Rancho shocks. It's Shocktober y'all! Depends on what my current AEV/Bilstein 5100's measure out to. I'm thinking of keeping the rear track bar and bracket that came with the AEV kit, it looks pretty stout. Or I'm half tempted to just rip it all out and start over with the whole EVO lift. I'll be doing some measuring on the jeep over the weekend. Every time I go out with my AEV set up, I wish I had a better ride and some better flex! It gets irritating and not so fun after awhile...

Keep the rear tower and see how she handles.

vitodivita

My aev is akin to riding a horse lol..then when I hit a bump in road my butt launches from the seat!

Also i do dig the ranchos over the bilsteins. A few people told me that I made a bad decision but there's no way that any normal person could tolerate the ride quality that I was dealing with.

Everything is set to arrive next Thursday and install hopefully friday. I will document my impressions to help folks like myself make a decision when aev isn't cutting it..

bthomas

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested. I took some measurements and made an observation today. I have a 2012 2dr Sport with an AEV 2.5 RS kit. At the time one of the reasons I chose this kit, was to avoid having to do adjustable arms and drive shafts. So after much research (falling for AEV's marketing) and even speaking with them on the phone a time or two, I was assured that the shock length wouldn't allow interference with the DS and exhaust crossover, even with sway bar disco'd. Well, after 3 years and 47,000 I checked at full droop....WRONG!!! When I measured my shocks today I noticed it. My DS boot doesn't just touch, it lays on the crossover and looks like an inchworm! I don't know how I haven't torn it up yet, I wheel it disco'd every time I go out and have been from day one about every other weekend, all winter long. It will be replaced with a 1310 in the next few months for sure now. Lesson learned on that one!

My AEV/5100's measure 25 3/8" extended in the front, and 24 7/8" extended in the rear. I have 2.5" bump stops in front & 2" in the rear. So, I'm ordering some EVO springs over the weekend for sure! I'm also getting bumpers, some LED's, winch, gears, gussets, & 35's and possibly a rear locker over the next week or two. All of that will go on at the same time as the new springs, I'm hoping the weight will negate some of the additional lift. The AEV lift have me a little over 3" with no weight on the jeep. Then over the next few months I can grab arms a drag link kit, proper shocks for the EVO coils and drive shafts. If anyone has any input on my plan, please feel free to share. My planning could be a bit bass-ackwards, it's happened a time or two before...:crazyeyes:
Thanks! :beer:

Last edited:

warlock

I don't understand the hate for AEV because I have this kit and I like it very much. I know this is a personal choice but I prefer a sportier ride with great handling characteristic over a soft sloppy ride. AEV coil/bilstein shocks does a great job of controlling body movement so emergency situation that requires hard braking while turning or fast driving on a bumpy winding road is safe and I feel the Jeep very planted and stable. I know a JK is not a sport car but just for the added safety of a good handling is a big plus for me. I rode a JKU with a teraflex 2.5'' coil kit with teraflex 9550 shocks and this is a different story. Teraflex makes good products but way too soft for me and a lot of body movement while braking or while turning (pitch and roll). Feels like driving a boat. It is a bit more comfortable than AEV when you hit bumps but too soft for my taste. Also softness is not always a good thing off road in off camber situation when stability is required.

olram30

I don't understand the hate for AEV because I have this kit and I like it very much. I know this is a personal choice but I prefer a sportier ride with great handling characteristic over a soft sloppy ride. AEV coil/bilstein shocks does a great job of controlling body movement so emergency situation that requires hard braking while turning or fast driving on a bumpy winding road is safe and I feel the Jeep very planted and stable. I know a JK is not a sport car but just for the added safety of a good handling is a big plus for me. I rode a JKU with a teraflex 2.5'' coil kit with teraflex 9550 shocks and this is a different story. Teraflex makes good products but way too soft for me and a lot of body movement while braking or while turning (pitch and roll). Feels like driving a boat. It is a bit more comfortable than AEV when you hit bumps but too soft for my taste. Also softness is not always a good thing off road in off camber situation when stability is required.

So you consider evo plush ride coils "soft and sloppy"?
Ride quality is 100% subjective. Some people like a firm mattress, some like a soft mattress when they sleep. Same goes for ride comfort on a jeep.
You kind of lost me when you said teraflex makes "good products."
Also a lot if manufactures don't address roll center correctly. Lifts that use frame side drop brackets lower your roll center.

Last edited:
Top Bottom