The 2017 Great Texas Exodus!

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Just made my reservation for NM. Waiting for a call back from Ouray, then i should be good. Well after i figure out what i wanna do for Moab.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Doing KOAs?

Yes, did the KOA in NM, and just waiting for the call back for the KOA in Ouray. Seems ive been having crappy luck with them. On the bright side, front desk lady in NM confirmed she was grouping the wayalife guys together :thumb:

OhNoTheJiggies

Id like to be added to the tentative list, although its almost a sure thing, it should be a sure thing within a few weeks.

Gonna make the trip from Florida... was in Tampa when I first saw this. Now im close to Pensacola, so about 7 hours closer.

Looking forward to the list of essentials to make sure I got the stuff and then some.

Where in TX are we gonna be starting?

Exodus 4x4

Id like to be added to the tentative list, although its almost a sure thing, it should be a sure thing within a few weeks.

Gonna make the trip from Florida... was in Tampa when I first saw this. Now im close to Pensacola, so about 7 hours closer.

Looking forward to the list of essentials to make sure I got the stuff and then some.

Where in TX are we gonna be starting?

Coming from Florida you can just link up with the Houston crowd on your way. I'd love to convoy as much as we can but I also don't want to pressure anybody into leaving at certain times just to accomplish that. Most everyone should be in Albuquerque by the first night though.

We could possibly try and all meet in Sweetwater and then go from there. If we try and do something like that then we'll need to establish some group leads for each area to herd everyone together and establish start times.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

Coming from Florida you can just link up with the Houston crowd on your way. I'd love to convoy as much as we can but I also don't want to pressure anybody into leaving at certain times just to accomplish that. Most everyone should be in Albuquerque by the first night though.

We could possibly try and all meet in Sweetwater and then go from there. If we try and do something like that then we'll need to establish some group leads for each area to herd everyone together and establish start times.
I am considering heading west the day before so we dont have to leave as early. May just get a motel near you and go from there.

Exodus 4x4

I am considering heading west the day before so we dont have to leave as early. May just get a motel near you and go from there.

Cool. I'm in New Braunfels now and was thinking I'd just link up with the Houston crowd in Eden, assuming y'all would be going through Austin. I think there might be one or two nice places to stay overnight near me[emoji6]

Jackal01

Cool. I'm in New Braunfels now and was thinking I'd just link up with the Houston crowd in Eden, assuming y'all would be going through Austin. I think there might be one or two nice places to stay overnight near me[emoji6]

The way we have gone before is 45 north to DFW, Amarillo, etc. But it doesn't really matter to me. either on the way to CO or on the way back we want to stop at the Big Texanin Amarillo. Only 8 hours from NB so if we leave early AM we can have dinner then head to Alb. Just one idea. If the group would rather not have that kind of time constraints we will do it on our way back. I'll have to get your input on lodgings if we head up early. ;)

OhNoTheJiggies

Im down for a convoy, I like that big line of jeeps down the highway.

Im sure plenty of people have asked, but any idea when minimum requirements might be decided?

Rb1boxer_3

OK guys. I might be back on in this trip. But might be by myself as my wife doesn't want to just sit in a jeep and ride all day long. But I'll see what's up. I'm trying to get my 1 tons done in time it's looking pretty good so far.

Out in the Boonies

Exodus 4x4

OK guys. I might be back on in this trip. But might be by myself as my wife doesn't want to just sit in a jeep and ride all day long. But I'll see what's up. I'm trying to get my 1 tons done in time it's looking pretty good so far.

Out in the Boonies

My wife is going and for sure won't be on most of the trails. She'll be going to spas or whatever it is she does. Point is, I bet she won't be the only wife going that has other plans.

Exodus 4x4

The committee has determined the following items and conditions are required for this trip:

1) An actual functioning CB

2) Front and rear recovery points

3) Recovery gear

4) Sway bar quick disconnects

5) Leveling kit at the very minimum.
Obviously it's preferred you have
a 3"-4" lift. Just know that you
most likely will not be able to
participate in everything. I don't
think I need to mention tire sizes
that should be proportionate to
to your lift.

6) Experience. This is not a
beginners run. Although we will
will be broke down into groups,
we want to minimize down time
due to failures or inexperience.
Please join in on any local runs
that will help you learn your rigs
capabilities and allow you to
become comfortable with most of
the situations you will
encounter.

Napalm

The committee has determined the following items and conditions are required for this trip:

1) An actual functioning CB

2) Front and rear recovery points

3) Recovery gear

4) Sway bar quick disconnects

5) Leveling kit at the very minimum.
Obviously it's preferred you have
a 3"-4" lift. Just know that you
most likely will not be able to
participate in everything. I don't
think I need to mention tire sizes
that should be proportionate to
to your lift.

6) Experience. This is not a
beginners run. Although we will
will be broke down into groups,
we want to minimize down time
due to failures or inexperience.
Please join in on any local runs
that will help you learn your rigs
capabilities and allow you to
become comfortable with most of
the situations you will
encounter.

Hmmm.. my rig could meet all the minimum requirements.. [emoji854]

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Awesome. Good list committee (so mysterious... :))
1) check
2) ordering LoD Destroyer rear bumper next week which should firm up rear recovery points
3) check
4) check
5) So I'm good with 3.5" lift and my 33s? :) jk, still planning on 37s before this summer
6) work in progress. Definitely need more trail time

Rb1boxer_3

My wife is going and for sure won't be on most of the trails. She'll be going to spas or whatever it is she does. Point is, I bet she won't be the only wife going that has other plans.

Haha exactly what mine is saying she wants to go hiking and other stuff. I said we have to ride the trials to go hiking anyways.

Out in the Boonies

BlackDiamond_JKU

I'm down

----------------
2016 JKUR

“Our Country won’t go on forever if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any America; because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”
– Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC

Buster3479

My wife booked lodging today.

KOA Ouray 9/22-9/25 Cabin ("She'll put us with the WoL group")
KOA MOAB 9/25-9/28 Cabin ("A different She will put us with the WoL group")

Cabin #'s unspecified at this time. We signed up for the KOA card and saved some green. Thanks for that advice!

I figure if we decide to get a condo or bunk with someone later, we can cancel one of them and loose $10 / reservation. It's worth locking it in now. I really have to plan the Rubicon part of our epic journey for the week before. Any of you already crazy people interested? I'll post up a thread for that leg once I figure it out in a few days.

I'm going to need a chiropractor or super masseuse after 4ish days from MD to CA, stopover, 3ish days on Rubicon, stopover, 1day to Ouray, stopover, this trip, stopover, 3ish days back to MD. I'm putting away somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks vaca to fit it all in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom