The build/re-build of Gruff

scull20

Great looking rig Sir. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing the rig in person at Rausch next month!

Ddays

Hooked
So like others have noted this past week, both of my turn signals are in the blink fast mode. Hinrichs and a couple others noted that the resistors that come with the EVO light kit have a tendency to come apart.
I pre-ordered resistors that he posted on his build thread and they came in Friday.

Today, I took my drivers side light out and lo and behold...no resistor at all. it melted the soldered connections on both ends it got so hot.

r1.jpg

I fished around and found it. The new ones are twice as big so hopefully they work a little better.

r2.jpg

I knew these babies get pretty hot based on other comments on WAL, so when i mounted the originals I made sure they didn't contact anything else and had all of the wires zip tied and out of the way.
What probably didnt help with these staying toegther is that I had them suspended and not mounted to anything. Maybe the weight pulling on the wires helped seperate them. Regardless how that happened,
I decided to make small mounts out of aluminum and secured them to the bolts for my tire carrier hinges.

Here's the unmounted setup. Figured having these mounts made from aluminum would help disipate a little extra heat.

r3.jpg

And here's how they look mounted up. On the drivers side I mounted it on the side. You can see the fuel filler neck.

r4.jpg

On the passenger side I couldn't mount it on the side because the same pinch seam that made mounting the EVO carrier a festival wouldn't allow me to add the mount to it. I just used the bolt on the back side of the hings by the tailgate. Came out ok.

r5.jpg

If you have the EVO skins you may want to check on this resistor from time to time to make sure its not contacting anything. These resistors get pretty damn hot!

Looks good! I'm about to order those resistors like we talked about! I'm glad they are bigger and that's a great idea with the plate to hold it! I think I nigh try something similar! Thanks for the idea! I'd love an update about the resistors

Ddays

Hooked
Been putting off taking care of a half dead tree in my driveway for bout 2 years now and decided I better not push my luck much further. Problem is that its leaning over my driveway and my neighbors fence & barn that you can't see in the photo. Figured this damn thing would wait to fall until one morning when I need to me somewhere important. So to keep it off his stuff, what better excuse to enlist the help of the jeep & winch?

0903161051.jpg

I pulled the line the whole way out and used two 30' recovery straps so there was no way the tree would land on me. Used my rear floor mats over the line for safety & started cutting.

0903161111.jpg

Bout 3/4 of the way through I just yanked it the rest of the way over.

0903161118.jpg

Nice assist.

0903161452b.jpg

It was such a beautiful day that I decided I needed to get on the trails after that.

0903161511.jpg

0903161515a.jpg

0903161521a.jpg

0903161527.jpg

0903161527b.jpg

0903161529.jpg

0903161530.jpg

0903161534a.jpg

0903161544.jpg

0903161605.jpg

0903161609.jpg

0903161613.jpg

And home!
Funny how photos don't really convey how steep the hills are. All in all fun hour spent away from everything.

Ddays

Hooked
That hood is looking good! My Jeep wants to be like yours, when it grows up.

Well tell it to be good, say its prayers, and take its vitamins!

Seriously, thank you. I really appreciate it. I've waited a LONG time to be able to do this., but honestly, I loved this thing as much as when it still had the factory silver steel wheels!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Your new hood turned out really nice, looks sharp and like it's been there the whole time! Nice to have trails right out the back door. Love the view!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472966813.857787.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Your new hood turned out really nice, looks sharp and like it's been there the whole time! Nice to have trails right out the back door. Love the view!
View attachment 221199

Thank you! Yeah, they did a really nice job on the hood. I really like the look and honestly I'm seeing lower coolant temps with it installed going up hills. Tempted to get an actual temp gauge to see what its actually running.

That hilltop view is awesome in the Fall & Winter. I'll have to update with the seasons...

Top Bottom