The building of knuckles

GCM 2

....... I read on jkf that that hole to the upper right of the gascap is for the installation of the carrier bracket and to not put a nutsert in that hole. I see you have put a nutsert there so hopefully that is correct. Just wondering because mine arrives tomorrow.:rock:

Like MTG says, if you aren't running the EVO carrier, then you just install a nutsert until you do the carrier install. The carrier hangers are bolt-on and all that part of the install can be done longer after the rear quarters have been done. I run no carrier but have those same holes with nutserts installed.

Attachments

• image-3638543689.jpg
    image-3638543689.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 729

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Like MTG says, if you aren't running the EVO carrier, then you just install a nutsert until you do the carrier install. The carrier hangers are bolt-on and all that part of the install can be done longer after the rear quarters have been done. I run no carrier but have those same holes with nutserts installed.

That's one sexy backside if you don't mind the reference. Lol

MTG

Caught the Bug
Had to call it quits about noon. Time and weather were working against us. :(

We got the carrier all adjusted and the outside holes drilled for the brackets, but I didn't want to drill out the hole for the lights and not be able to finish. Plus it's supposed to rain this week like it is today and I didn't want to drive around with the raw skins and carrier on. Hopefully we'll finish next weekend.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362346181.185899.jpg
Little tape over the holes and it should be good to go. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362346301.786128.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here is what we did to center up the carrier and brackets for drilling holes. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362347300.672741.jpg

We put the carrier on the wood frame and then used the jacks to lift the carrier up to the Jeep.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Here is what we did to center up the carrier and brackets for drilling holes. View attachment 17942

We put the carrier on the wood frame and then used the jacks to lift the carrier up to the Jeep.

This worked great! When we go to put it back on we'll get a shot with the carrier on it. Let us work all four corners at ones without having to hold the carrier up. We just had to hold the carrier a bit so it didn't fall on one of us. :cheesy:

Much thanks to Sharkey (a.k.a. the Nutsert God) and LoPo for coming over today. Still bummed we didn't finish, but I am happy with how far we got and think stopping was the best move. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
Had to call it quits about noon. Time and weather were working against us. :(

We got the carrier all adjusted and the outside holes drilled for the brackets, but I didn't want to drill out the hole for the lights and not be able to finish. Plus it's supposed to rain this week like it is today and I didn't want to drive around with the raw skins and carrier on. Hopefully we'll finish next weekend.
View attachment 17938
Little tape over the holes and it should be good to go. View attachment 17939

Searched out this thread to see how far along you got. Looks really good so far. Better to stop a little early then push it and make an error or cause damage.

Ill likely be picking up that nutsert tool for my skins. Thanks for the trial.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ill likely be picking up that nutsert tool for my skins. Thanks for the trial.

You won't be sorry. I literally pulled six nutserts with this tool in the time it took me to pull one with the harbor freight tool. This one pulled them cleaner, easier, and with the threads in the center of the hole. We didn't spin a single nutsert, not even one!

It was so easy I started thinking up other places to use nutserts.

JAGS

Hooked
You won't be sorry. I literally pulled six nutserts with this tool in the time it took me to pull one with the harbor freight tool. This one pulled them cleaner, easier, and with the threads in the center of the hole. We didn't spin a single nutsert, not even one!

It was so easy I started thinking up other places to use nutserts.

Awesome. For you and mike now and me later. 👍

JKBANDIT55

Damn you MTG... I just told the wife your to blame for me modding my jeep!!! Lol, every time I look at this build thread another mod is added to my list!

Nice work 😏

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I can't believe nobody commented on this...finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot! LOL!

Master grip, beware of your target, backstop and beyond, never point at anything you're not willing to kill or destroy..... Oh wait are we talking about drilling? :)

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
The color matched skins are going to look so good.. Any chance you're blacking the ring out on your slabs? That would really finish the look off!

Last edited:
Top Bottom