The Building of Meanst

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Soon as I can brother. Long story short, a perfect storm of events (including an emergency surgery) put me in a situation where I needed to cash out the equity I had in my Jeep. Family comes first, so my beloved Jeep went bye bye. I'll get another one as soon as it makes sense.

Sorry to hear about your situation Sharkey.......Family does indeed come first.......wish you good health my friend.......you'll be behind the wheel of another Jeep in no time.......best of luck...:thumb:

~Woodrow~

rdreng

I recently installed a set of LOD sliders on my 2013 JKUR. Out of curiosity, for your install and for each side, did each of the 3 plates that contact the frame line up correctly or was there some "misalignment"? For the set I installed, there was at least one of the three frame mounting plates that did not align up correctly on each side. On one side, I had to fab about a 1/4 inch space to take up the gap? (Maybe I got one built on Monday morning or something). Seems like they would have a jig to build these, so each should come out same. Other than that, they seem like an excellent product (and my wife really enjoys the step).

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I recently installed a set of LOD sliders on my 2013 JKUR. Out of curiosity, for your install and for each side, did each of the 3 plates that contact the frame line up correctly or was there some "misalignment"? For the set I installed, there was at least one of the three frame mounting plates that did not align up correctly on each side. On one side, I had to fab about a 1/4 inch space to take up the gap? (Maybe I got one built on Monday morning or something). Seems like they would have a jig to build these, so each should come out same. Other than that, they seem like an excellent product (and my wife really enjoys the step).

I was able to get all of the plates tight to the frame on both sides. It helped to tighten each bolt a little at a time to pull everything tight. That said, I could see how just a little variation in the frame, or in the slider, could make things difficult.

JAGS

Hooked
Soon as I can brother. Long story short, a perfect storm of events (including an emergency surgery) put me in a situation where I needed to cash out the equity I had in my Jeep. Family comes first, so my beloved Jeep went bye bye. I'll get another one as soon as it makes sense.

While my situation isn't exactly the same, I surely have some similarities. Partly why it's taken nearly two years to do a full lift. Hold course sharkey. Family always first. Good things come to those who make good decisions. 👍

- Jason

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Well look what I have sitting in my garage waiting for some love.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416629935.989391.jpg

EVO skids are going on. Just put the Tuffy CC Drawer in, and I'm going to custom wire a 12 volt outlet in the subwoofer for his new ARB fridge. Oh, and the Jeep just returned from getting 4.88's installed. Since Meanst isn't going above 35's, they are a great match to the 3.8 and standard tranny.

Might be doing an Advance Adapters TC cable upgrade too, which should be interesting because I've never done one.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Might be doing an Advance Adapters TC cable upgrade too, which should be interesting because I've never done one.

Never heard of this upgrade before till just now. Is the stock one known for failure or you just doing it to do it?

Never heard of this upgrade before till just now. Is the stock one known for failure or you just doing it to do it?

the piece that fails the most is the plastic retention clips. The replacement is just a little beefier than stock. Cables are slightly larger and do not use plastic clips.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Yes, it's definitely known for failure (the clips on each end). You can rig something in the field with zip ties to get you home, but it's a PITA especially if you have skids.

Meanst is trying to eliminate some of the weak links durability wise, and the TC clips are definitely high on the list.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
the piece that fails the most is the plastic retention clips. The replacement is just a little beefier than stock. Cables are slightly larger and do not use plastic clips.

Yes, it's definitely known for failure (the clips on each end). You can rig something in the field with zip ties to get you home, but it's a PITA especially if you have skids.

Meanst is trying to eliminate some of the weak links durability wise, and the TC clips are definitely high on the list.

Interesting and thank you gents. This is something I will look into for the future so I don't have to worry about limping off the trail

MTG

Caught the Bug
Interesting and thank you gents. This is something I will look into for the future so I don't have to worry about limping off the trail

You shouldn't have to limp off the trail if it breaks. Not that the above upgrade isn't good, it is just expensive.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If it breaks, you might not be going anywhere because you can be stuck with the TC disengaged. You have to pull all of the skids, manually engage the TC, then zip tie the cable. All underneath what is likely a very hot vehicle. It's not super fun.

If you are alone, this process would really suck. Although $200 seems high, to me it's well worth not having to deal with the above PITA on the trail.

Last edited:

07JKSahara

If it breaks, you might not be going anywhere because you can be stuck with the TC disengaged. You have to pull all of the skids, manually engage the TC, then zip tie the cable. All underneath what is likely a very hot vehicle. It's not super fun.

If you are alone, this process would really suck. Although $200 seems high, to me it's well worth not having to deal with the above PITA on the trail.

This happened to me on Friday, I had never heard of it until I googled. The clip under the console (where mine broke) is a huge hassle. I would have spent $200 easy to not deal with that. Whole damn console has to come out so you can lift it 2" to fit your fingers in there. Good upgrade in my opinion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This happened to me on Friday, I had never heard of it until I googled. The clip under the console (where mine broke) is a huge hassle. I would have spent $200 easy to not deal with that. Whole damn console has to come out so you can lift it 2" to fit your fingers in there. Good upgrade in my opinion.

Watch the project jk moab videos. This break is documented in there. :thumb:

Top Bottom