The "Mid Life" buy thread

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
It's 5' The one I have is 5" shorter (so to speak :doh:) it has a shorter lower shaft. I found the fire stick tough to tune with a spring and in Arizona a spring is a must for all the low hanging brush. This antenna was easy to dial in and I was able to get SWR down to where the needle would barely move across all channels and with the same wiring the best I could get was 1.8 across all channels with my firestick. We will see but from my experience with the people with the wilson I can hear them miles further then then can hear me and at times I am a no show while they chat away. - so hopefully I will see some improvement.

I'm sure this whip will fly around like crazy but it won't be such a sever jolt as the FS on a spring.

Do you have a link to the antenna Brandon? I've tried two different firesiks (3' & 4') and the best SWR I can achieve is ~2 across all channels. I've wrung out ground and the antenna cable and all checks good. Hell, I even took a jumper cable and clamped it to a bolt on the tailgate and a bolt on the tub to to rule out ground issues!

Do you have a link to the antenna Brandon? I've tried two different firesiks (3' & 4') and the best SWR I can achieve is ~2 across all channels. I've wrung out ground and the antenna cable and all checks good. Hell, I even took a jumper cable and clamped it to a bolt on the tailgate and a bolt on the tub to to rule out ground issues!

This us the best antenna money can buy. I've tried everything and it works the best. Comes in red white or black.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003I...X110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Willso+2000+5"+shaft

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-305-492-Series-Trucker-Antenna/dp/B005AUONAS

Make sure you are checking your SWR in a open area - when I check in my apartment complex my antenna is too long but in the open it is short which is a easy adjustment.

Finished up the trim job on my A-Pilar plastic. This is a lot of work just to make it look nice. There is a lot more trimming involved then I thought. I don't have a Dremel or Coping saw so I did the entire Job with my pocket knife! I know "I might be a red-neck". The hardest part with the knife was cutting the square hole for the Mic.

I used some door trim on my cuts to avoid finish work. If you are going to try this I recommend putting the strip in some hot water first - this will let you open it up and make the tight turns required. You may have to make a couple of trips back to the hot water. Then just a drop of super glue on each end.

All in All I think it came out pretty good.

The Tool of choice :beer:
2015-03-05 12.57.04.jpg

Only needs to be in the hot water for 15 20 seconds
2015-03-05 12.22.32.jpg

2015-03-05 10.37.51.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

I still need to do some tweaks to the trailing edges as I think they will flap when doorless. Probably as simple as a piece of velcro. But continuing with my red-neck theme I'm sure a tie wrap will be involved:beer:

big dr

I can't believe your still working on that thing!!!:bleh: If I knew you were trimming the plastic with a pocket knife, I would have brought down my dremel for you. I do like the trim around the cuts. I might copy:yup:

Top Bottom