The "Mid Life" buy thread

Recurve

looks good man.. ugh I swear im either going to get another jeep in anvil or repaint mine anvil one of these days lol .

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Jeep is looking good. I really like the spare tire idea, except the wife and I carry a lot of crap when we roll down the highway.

Look forward to what comes next.

Got the center bar in today along with the tire carrier bar after painting.

I will tell you this project was a comedy of errors :cheesy: First off I decide to rattle can it just to save some coin, Not checking the weather first, Santa Ana winds gusting to 40 flare up while it is drying so I have a nice dusty texture. Then mis align my template on the passenger side. (missed it by that much!) Striped a bolt head trying to force it. Left the A-Pilar plastic pieces on the dash and installed my lower windshield bar only to find out they were trapped there and had to pull it to get them out :doh: Then I swear my jeep was built on a friday before a holiday weekend - Had to grind some slag off the factory roll bar that they left for me that wouldn't allow the top bar to get in position. Then the holes in the B-Pilar were off and I had to drill new ones right next to it and of course the drill walks into the existing hole and snaps (almost snapped my wrist) :doh: Good times only bled twice! :thumb:

Maybe some useful info: 1 can of Self Ecthing Primer (i bought 2 cans of primer as I also had to do my tire bar) 3 cans of Satin Black was plenty.

Disclaimer - This is by no means a slam on the product just on my skills - I am very happy with the outcome,

2015-02-13 11.01.31.jpg

Door surround trim (yes I cleaned it up before putting it in!
2015-02-13 11.36.57.jpg

Painted tire carrier bar looks much better
2015-02-13 12.05.22.jpg

2015-02-13 12.05.34.jpg

2015-02-13 12.06.02.jpg

Came out pretty good for a hack! :beer:
2015-02-13 12.06.21.jpg

Still have to trim the corner plastic pieces but I am tired. :beer:

When I started my build my goal was JKX minimum requirements and today I got there. Took me 11 months with out using my credit card!:thumb:

[X] 2007 or newer Jeep JK.
[X] Lockers, Front and Rear
[X] Sport Cage
[X] 37″ Minimum Tire Size for 4 Door
[X] Must be self sufficient with tools and spare parts
[X] Must carry 2 Fire Extinguishers, First Aid Kit and Spill Kit
[X] Working CB Radio
[X] Winch
[X] Working E-brake
[X] Co-Driver must be over 18 and be self sufficient in vehicle repair.

Might not be worthy but minimum requirements met :rock:

Hack12

When I started my build my goal was JKX minimum requirements and today I got there. Took me 11 months with out using my credit card!:thumb:

[X] 2007 or newer Jeep JK.
[X] Lockers, Front and Rear
[X] Sport Cage
[X] 37″ Minimum Tire Size for 4 Door
[X] Must be self sufficient with tools and spare parts
[X] Must carry 2 Fire Extinguishers, First Aid Kit and Spill Kit
[X] Working CB Radio
[X] Winch
[X] Working E-brake
[X] Co-Driver must be over 18 and be self sufficient in vehicle repair.

Might not be worthy but minimum requirements met :rock:

Congratulations! Your rig looks great! :yup::thumb::yup:

Swapped out my CB for a Cobra 75 and switched antennas to a Wilson 2000. Seems to work really well and saved me tons of precious headroom! :beer:

2015-03-03 11.31.31.jpg

2015-03-02 16.37.31.jpg

bkac

Caught the Bug
Why is this? I'm looking at a 75 but with a firestick.

There's a bunch of us that have ran the 75 with the fire stick and the range is so much better along with clarity with the Wilson 2000. I can't really explain why it just is

CJW

There's a bunch of us that have ran the 75 with the fire stick and the range is so much better along with clarity with the Wilson 2000. I can't really explain why it just is

Well that's good to know! Thanks! What length antenna are you guys running?
Sorry for the hi-jack by the way

bkac

Caught the Bug

I'm just running the trucker 2000 with the 10 inch shaft, not sure the whip length I believe its like 50 something inches standard. Love it

It's 5' The one I have is 5" shorter (so to speak :doh:) it has a shorter lower shaft. I found the fire stick tough to tune with a spring and in Arizona a spring is a must for all the low hanging brush. This antenna was easy to dial in and I was able to get SWR down to where the needle would barely move across all channels and with the same wiring the best I could get was 1.8 across all channels with my firestick. We will see but from my experience with the people with the wilson I can hear them miles further then then can hear me and at times I am a no show while they chat away. - so hopefully I will see some improvement.

I'm sure this whip will fly around like crazy but it won't be such a sever jolt as the FS on a spring.

Top Bottom