The never-ending 'wave' discussion thread

Armydog

I wave at every wrangler type jeep. MJ (saw one last week driving in Newtown, Awesome!), CJ, YJ (even though the lights are square!) and JKs. I wave at all of them, enthusiastically!!!!!!

I may have gotten a little too enthusiastic this morning. I waved at a stock Sahara JK this morning but the driver, an older gentleman DID NOT RETURN THE WAVE. I turned around, only because I decided to get a coffee. It had nothing to do with the fact that the Sahara driver was pulling into the Dunkin as well.......

I parked right next to him. The top is off the Pumpkin so when the gentleman got out I told him the I had to park right next to his jeep even though the rest of the lot was nearly empty. I complimented his jeep, it was a nice color green. I then told him that the reason I had to park right next to him was because "it was the law". I explained that the "jeep community statute" mandated that jeeps park next to each other in public spaces and that drivers greet each other with a "jeep wave" or other similar visual acknowledgement. I think he might have thought I was serious, it may have helped that I was in uniform on my way into the unit at the time.......

David1tontj

I wave at every wrangler type jeep. MJ (saw one last week driving in Newtown, Awesome!), CJ, YJ (even though the lights are square!) and JKs. I wave at all of them, enthusiastically!!!!!!

I may have gotten a little too enthusiastic this morning. I waved at a stock Sahara JK this morning but the driver, an older gentleman DID NOT RETURN THE WAVE. I turned around, only because I decided to get a coffee. It had nothing to do with the fact that the Sahara driver was pulling into the Dunkin as well.......

I parked right next to him. The top is off the Pumpkin so when the gentleman got out I told him the I had to park right next to his jeep even though the rest of the lot was nearly empty. I complimented his jeep, it was a nice color green. I then told him that the reason I had to park right next to him was because "it was the law". I explained that the "jeep community statute" mandated that jeeps park next to each other in public spaces and that drivers greet each other with a "jeep wave" or other similar visual acknowledgement. I think he might have thought I was serious, it may have helped that I was in uniform on my way into the unit at the time.......

Haha. That's funny. You're the "jeep wave police".

bonedaddy

I feel bad for the people that didnt get the "history packet" in the mail after buying there new jeep... oh and key chain... ;) there was a whole page on the wave...

Harley74

I got mine when I got my jeep, I wave to my fellow jeepers and I would say about half of them just look at me like I'm crazy.

Craig.Turner

I live in a very affluent yuppie neighborhood of Texas and everyone and their brother-in-law drives a Jeep. I admit I only wave to the guys who have a nice rig (beyond stock). Around here you'll get a hand cramp waving at every joe blow with a Jeep.

Harley74

I live in a very affluent yuppie neighborhood of Texas and everyone and their brother-in-law drives a Jeep. I admit I only wave to the guys who have a nice rig (beyond stock). Around here you'll get a hand cramp waving at every joe blow with a Jeep.

I'm sure I look like a yuppie driving mine to work while it's still stock. I have to save and buy one thing at a time, I have bought front seat covers and the paracord grab handles so far. It just amazes me all the things that can be done to my jeep. I have seen some very nice looking rigs on here and can't wait to get mine looking as nice as them.

Scuba465

While my wife and I were driving up north(northern NH) for vacation, the other side of the highway was considerably higher, a guy pulled a Forest Gump wave lol. Thought he was going to open the door and run down the hill. I'm all into the wave and do get made fun of by wife, but no need to be that excited lol.

xxJWPxx

I typically get more wave backs when the jeep i'm waving to has been modified vs. stock jeeps, which is a 50/50.

South Florida doesn't wave.

I thought it was bad up in Central Florida with all the soccer moms, but we are down in the Keys for vacation and less than 10% wave. Even YJs and CJs aren't waving. Is it this bad other places?

Ginz

I thought it was bad up in Central Florida with all the soccer moms, but we are down in the Keys for vacation and less than 10% wave. Even YJs and CJs aren't waving. Is it this bad other places?

Miami is terrible. 1 out of 10 if you're lucky. Probably because everyone and their mother has a jeep and none of them are really into the lifestyle. Enjoy your trip. Stop at Robbie's marina and feed the tarpon!

Krystianjk

In Miami I only wave to modded jeeps and Only way you'll see me waving at a stock jeep is if it waved at me first lol

Jeepster nOOb

Krystianjk, same here in DFW, Texas. I'd wave to stock jks but they never seem to wave back so I don't embarrass myself anymore. I'll wave to them if they initiate, of course. I'm not vindictive, ha.

I think there is a disconnect between the stock jk drivers and the lifted jks that has lead to "unfriendliness" from the stock jk'ers.
You drive the stock if you are a soccer mom or someone who is going through "that phase" where you get exactly what you want, even though it isn't practical. Those who mod their jks do it because they are into the jk culture or they like to work on cars and personalize them.

What I'm trying to say is, those who drive stock jks (generalization, keep in mind) typically do no buy into the jk culture and only drive the jk as merely an A to B'er. Whereas, modded jk drivers want to be a part of the jk society and are inspired by other modded jks.

Just my two sense!

FLKEYSJK

It's really bad down here, we also have a rental company that rents out modded jeeps and they don't tell their customers about the wave. I miss some waves occasionally but I try to wave at everyone hoping one day it will catch on with them lol.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Same kind of trend here ( mod vs not) and it drops off dramatically in winter which I really don't get because when better to own a Jeep and get where you need to be more easily than others.

egralia

I live in Miami and about 30% percent of the people wave back. Some people just stopped waving because no one waved back.

Ginz

I live in Miami and about 30% percent of the people wave back. Some people just stopped waving because no one waved back.

There's about 300 jeeps in my area, 6 wave. 3 of them I know personally, and one is my cousin lmao

RUBICONGER

Waving etiquette

I've just spent the past 24 hours in St. George Utah, I've waved at probably 30 Jeeps, not a single acknowledgment. Are there some places that just don't wave? Do they only wave if your Jeep meets certain requirements? i.e. 37" rubber, 6" lift, etc. Now for me, if you are driving a Jeep, you're getting a wave. I get that there are people who buy jeeps that aren't part of the culture, but every single rig has given me the cold shoulder, and this is Southern Utah for crying out loud!! What gives?

Top Bottom