The Pumpkin "Build"

Armydog

Help me!!! I will upload a video but here is the rub.

With the headlights off:

Signals lights all work.
Emergency flashers all work.

With headlights and markers on:

Passenger signal does not flash at all, no signal or emergency flashers. Front or rear. Just steady marker light. The turn indicator on the instrument panel burns dimly with both signals lit up.

I installed poison spyder three wire front signal LED lights and moved my two wire marker LED lights to the inside of the fender wheel well and wired them to the old marker light wires. Prior to this everything seemed to work properly.

What did I do wrong? Where would you suggest I start the trouble shooting and diagnosis? Help please.

scull20

Did you check all your grounding or for a short somewhere?

Also, do the instructions specify any sort of resistor to be added in the wiring or perhaps a different LED flasher module to be swapped in for the new LED lights you are using?

-Ryan

Last edited:

Armydog

No shorts. No bad grounds. The PS three wire lights have resistors in line that prevent cross circuit feedback. The cheap Chinese two wire led lights I'm using for side markers do not. I previously upgraded the flasher unit for led lights when I changed the rear taillights to ORO round units. Going to trace back the wires and see if I have something crossed somewhere. The PS have fairly decent instructions but the Chinese lights came with nothing. Tracing this back by removing what I changed one things at a time, because everything worked prior to trying to put these in.......

I hate chassis electrical. Never simple.

Here's what I got at the moment,

Driver's side:

LED white wires - jeep black wire
LED black wires - jeep yellow stripe wire
LED red wire - jeep green stripe wire

Passenger side:

LED white wires - jeep black wire
LED black wires - jeep yellow stripe wire
LED red wire - jeep brown stripe Eire

Think this will make it work with the signal and markers functioning and no feedback to the dash lights. The side markers will no cut out during the signal cycle like they did originally. The burn steady, but that is ok with me as long as the signals function correctly.

Any input is appreciated, Tango Yankee.

Armydog

Also, with this setup I am not using the original side marker wires. I just capped them off and taped them up. I think the feedback was caused by the cheap LED lights I'm using as side markers, not sure but it's a guess. I'll keep trying tomorrow and see if I have made to correct adjustments.

Chad

Hey man, great job on the pumpkin! Not to change the subject, but I'm really not sure how to start a new thread, and you seem like you know your way around a jeep. I have an '04 Rubicon and have heard different versions of what the stock axles are. I have read that they came stock with D35's and also heard they come stock with D44's. Which is correct? Thanks in advance.

Once again, sorry to jack your thread. Eddie, if you see this and need to move it, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Armydog

Hey man, great job on the pumpkin! Not to change the subject, but I'm really not sure how to start a new thread, and you seem like you know your way around a jeep. I have an '04 Rubicon and have heard different versions of what the stock axles are. I have read that they came stock with D35's and also heard they come stock with D44's. Which is correct? Thanks in advance.

Once again, sorry to jack your thread. Eddie, if you see this and need to move it, thanks in advance.

Chad, I'm learning too. The TJR came with D44 front and rear, but the factory D44 is not a true Dana 44. The axle tubes are thinner, and the end forgings are thinner. The center differential seems to be the same dimensions as a true D44 but the C's and tubes are closer to a D30 in dimension. I am sure someone here can speak with authority on this more that I can, but bottom line seems to be that the factory Rubicon D44 is a hybrid D44/D30. Mine has an air locker (2005) but later models have electric activated lockers from and rear.

I am going to do C gussets and better axles for now, but a ProRock D44 is in my future. Going to try and break the stock axle first. Wheel it until it dies, which with gussets and 35s should take a while.

Hope that helps. Tango for the compliment. I love my jeep. Always something else to do on her.......

Chad

Thank you for the quick response. I'm definitely in the learning stage right now. Have only had my jeep for 2 months. Seems to me that the guy who owned it before put quite a few mods and money into it. But not totally sure what I'm looking at underneath, or how to tell what I'm looking at for that matter. It does have a "locker" switch inside next to a switch for the overhead lights. I've been trying to find another WOL'er around me to look at my jeep with me to tell me exactly what I'm working with, I even ordered a service manual yesterday to help me identify parts.

Thanks again, from one soldier to another.

Armydog

I'm sure someone in FLA will help you out. Also, start a build thread, introduce yourself to the forum on the give us a wave thread and you will find everyone here is very helpful. Take and post pictures of the stuff you are not sure about. We can help

Armydog

Got the truck lights and PS Turn signal lights installed wired and buttoned up. I like it. Gonna take it for a ride tonight as soon as it get dark.

Made a walk around video. Trying to upload that to the build thread now

Armydog

QUESTION.

I found a welder and am looking to install inner gussets on the d44 of the pumpkin. I don't see TJ gussets on ORE or Northridge. What am I missing? Is anyone running a gusseted d44 on a TJ and what brand/ where did you buy them??????

Thank you in advance

Armydog

Come on.....l know someone is on line today.

I found Artec gussets for the d30/rubicon d44. Reads like these are the correct item. Please share any and all opinions and or experiences.

JKbrick

Come on.....l know someone is on line today.

I found Artec gussets for the d30/rubicon d44. Reads like these are the correct item. Please share any and all opinions and or experiences.

I have seen the Artec gussets before being welded on at a friends shop, they looked good and fit the c well

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Never heard of gussets for a tj. I know there is a difference between the jk d44 and tj d44 but idk how big of one. Maybe the Evo ones would work.

David1tontj

I don't think the tjs are heavy enough to need gussets. I hadn't seen anyone ever trying to gusset the c's until the heavier jks came around.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've never heard of gissets for other jeeps. Probably the reason it took a couple years for ore to develop the first ones.

Armydog

Artek makes a d30/d44 c gusset. Anyone know if this will work for the TJR? They are not real expensive, so I may just order them and see if they can be fabricated to fit my jeep

Top Bottom