The Pumpkin "Build"

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Artek makes a d30/d44 c gusset. Anyone know if this will work for the TJR? They are not real expensive, so I may just order them and see if they can be fabricated to fit my jeep

Why? If there has never been a need for gussets on TJ's for the past almost 20 years why would you need them now?

David1tontj

I don't think the tjs are heavy enough to need gussets. I hadn't seen anyone ever trying to gusset the c's until the heavier jks came around.

Also- I'll add that you're not running Coilovers either, therefore probably not bombing through desert whoops and hitting things super hard... That, plus the additional weight is one of the big factors to the heavier JKs bending theirs.

Armydog

Why? If there has never been a need for gussets on TJ's for the past almost 20 years why would you need them now?

I too was under the assumption that the TJ's didn't require the C's because they were lighter.

Thank you for the replies.

I assume that the stuff made for JKs is needed on my TJ without thinking it through. I appreciate the advice

Follow on question, I am going to make the jump to 37" tires and slabs. Want the widest I can find- 13.5" most likely and with the reduced offset I might even try to run my spacers if it doesn't look retarded- I like the wide stance

With all that in mind, do you still feel the C gussets are overkill?

Thank you in advance

Armydog

While I have the attention of several members kind enough to reply,

Please offer an opinion and/or experience on ball joint replacements for the TJR D44. I OFF COURSE think I need/want Dyntrac Prosteers (not sure if they are made for the TJR D44). Is this overkill as well?

Someday I will be running coilovers, but by en want to move to PR axles...... The long term build plan, don't anyone hold your breath. It's gonna take a while

Armydog

I did order a Carolina Metal Mashers TJ grab handle with the PUMPKIN machined into the flat to match my fair lead. Not a performance modification by any stretch, but it will give me a new spot to mount the iPad mount. Pictures when it gets here and then again when it gets installed.

David1tontj

Thank you for the replies.

I assume that the stuff made for JKs is needed on my TJ without thinking it through. I appreciate the advice

Follow on question, I am going to make the jump to 37" tires and slabs. Want the widest I can find- 13.5" most likely and with the reduced offset I might even try to run my spacers if it doesn't look retarded- I like the wide stance

With all that in mind, do you still feel the C gussets are overkill?

Thank you in advance

I think you're fine with 37s. I've got a friend with a 2005 Tj rubicon, he's been running 38s with only chromoly shafts for quite a while. I had previously thought 37s was the biggest you wanted on those 44s, but he seems to be doing fine. It's been through the rubicon without problems as well. It's my jeeps twin. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420993078.984700.jpg

Armydog

I think you're fine with 37s. I've got a friend with a 2005 Tj rubicon, he's been running 38s with only chromoly shafts for quite a while. I had previously thought 37s was the biggest you wanted on those 44s, but he seems to be doing fine. It's been through the rubicon without problems as well. It's my jeeps twin. View attachment 118718

Nice picture. And as always, thank you for the prompt response. Any insight on the Dyntrac Prosteer ball joints for the TJR?

Armydog

Changed the oil and filter at 97,000.0 miles. Also changed the oil pressure sending unit to correct an intermittent failure that was driving me crazy. Nothing picture worthy

Armydog

Out with the old............
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421553564.279892.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421553581.890263.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421553606.100300.jpg

But didn't get the new in yet, maybe tomorrow.

I am not sure which end the jonny joint goes on and which end the helm joint goes on. Gotta see if I can find some BDS instructions....

scull20

Changed the oil and filter at 97,000.0 miles. Also changed the oil pressure sending unit to correct an intermittent failure that was driving me crazy. Nothing picture worthy

Glad to hear the sending unit fixed the problem on that.

Armydog

Thanks T,

Upper rear control arms installed. Driveline angle seems much better. Not too hard.... just kind of a ball buster getting over and around the huge ass stock muffler.........that thing HAS got to go......

Pictures to follow when the damn rain stops.

Armydog

Ok, help Playing in the snow I broke the passenger side u joint where the axle meets the wheel hub.....

Top Bottom