Time for my JK to Evolve - Highoctane Anvil '15 Rubicon Unlimited build

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it this weekend. Btw, there needs to be just enough preload on the springs so that they don't come unseated at full droop.

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it this weekend. Btw, there needs to be just enough preload on the springs so that they don't come unseated at full droop.

Thanks! Hoping to make it down there Sat evening. Talked to Drew today and ended up making an adjustment to the 2 compression tubes on the front shocks to smoothen up the ride. He did say the same thing about the preload, so leaving the height alone.

Made an adjustment to the 2 compression bypass tubes on the front shocks and it made a very noticeable difference in ride quality. It's like driving a sports car on the road. Very little body roll in the turns, which is impressive. Slightly firm ride, but not too much. Soaks up the bumps great. I'll fine tune it some more once I get more miles on it.

One thing is obvious, I need a Hemi swap. Or an LS swap. This thing is a dog. Transmission rarely hits 5th gear, frequently drops to 3rd at 60 mph and tachs the engine at 4k + rpm on slight hills. I'd compare it to my old '08 JKU Rubi with the 3.8 and 37" Goodyear MT/R Kevlars on Raceline bead locks and heavy LoD bumpers, with the stock 4.10 gears. Some reason it keeps dropping to 3rd on the highway and stays there, with the "3" showing on the info display, without me ever using the autostick mode. Not sure what's up with that. The tire size and gear ratio was set correctly with the AEV ProCal.

So it's safe to say the V-8 is the next major mod.

Last edited:
Made an adjustment to the 2 compression bypass tubes on the front shocks and it made a very noticeable difference in ride quality. It's like driving a sports car on the road. Very little body roll in the turns, which is impressive. Slightly firm ride, but not too much. Soaks up the bumps great. I'll fine tune it some more once I get more miles on it.

One thing is obvious, I need a Hemi swap. Or an LS swap. This thing is a dog. Transmission rarely hits 5th gear, frequently drops to 3rd at 60 mph and tachs the engine at 4k + rpm on slight hills. I'd compare it to my old '08 JKU Rubi with the 3.8 and 37" Goodyear MT/R Kevlars on Raceline bead locks and heavy LoD bumpers, with the stock 4.10 gears. Some reason it keeps dropping to 3rd on the highway and stays there, with the "3" showing on the info display, without me ever using the autostick mode. Not sure what's up with that. The tire size and gear ratio was set correctly with the AEV ProCal.

So it's safe to say the V-8 that's the next major mod.

I am very jealous. I think u need to get a v8 for yourself and for all of us here too

And you've got 5.38's in there too? I don't think you can do this with a Procal, but a Flashpaq will let you set your shift points, which may help some. I've also wondered whether changing out the torque converter to a different lockup setting would help?

We tried running 40's on Rubicat with her 3.6L and 5.38's and while it was far from being "great", it wasn't nearly as bad as it was back when we were running 40's on Moby with his old 3.8L. I personally think you'd get used to it but, if you can afford a V8, there's no denying that it'll be a HUGE improvement. :yup:

And you've got 5.38's in there too? I don't think you can do this with a Procal, but a Flashpaq will let you set your shift points, which may help some. I've also wondered whether changing out the torque converter to a different lockup setting would help?

Yeah 5.38 gears. It's not so much the shift points, it's the fact that at times, it just wont shift past 3rd gear. I'll be at 55mph in 3rd and completely let off the throttle and it wont upshift. I bump the shifter into autostick mode to shift to 4th. It's completely random. When it does shift on it's own, it does so perfectly and the correct rpms. I've read that the fashpaq doesn't et you eliminate the TPMS sensors by setting the threshold to zero. Plus the ProCal is just a great price. I don't need the performance tuning.

We tried running 40's on Rubicat with her 3.6L and 5.38's and while it was far from being "great", it wasn't nearly as bad as it was back when we were running 40's on Moby with his old 3.8L. I personally think you'd get used to it but, if you can afford a V8, there's no denying that it'll be a HUGE improvement. :yup:

You're probably right. Eventually I'll get used to it. Don't get me wrong, it's still an absolute blast to drive. I love it. In the mean time I'm going to start hunting for a 6.4 Hemi :D

Last edited:
Yeah 5.38 gears. It's not so much the shift points, it's the fact that at times, it just wont shift past 3rd gear. I'll be at 55mph in 3rd and completely let off the throttle and it wont upshift. I bump the shifter into autostick mode to shift to 4th. It's completely random. When it does shift on it's own, it does so perfectly and the correct rpms. I've read that the fashpaq doesn't et you eliminate the TPMS sensors by setting the threshold to zero. Plus the ProCal is just a great price. I don't need the performance tuning.

Have you tried getting the RPM's really up in those situations and I mean, like 5k or more? I have found if you do that and then let off the gas, your transmission will up shift. Either way, I agree it's definitely annoying on the highway but off road, the transmission holding onto the lower gear is a bonus.

I use my autostick all the time because I don't care for how the transmission shifts after going to 4.88's and 37's. Like you, it will hang for awhile but it will upshift if I take my foot completely off the throttle. I have no beef with the transmission, that's why I think it may be the torque converter. I just don't know enough about that to say for sure or how to even go about changing it out.

I have the flashpaq and i completely disabled tpms. It's an off road add on you get on the Superchips spark program.

Have you tried getting the RPM's really up in those situations and I mean, like 5k or more? I have found if you do that and then let off the gas, your transmission will up shift. Either way, I agree it's definitely annoying on the highway but off road, the transmission holding onto the lower gear is a bonus.

Actually I didn't mention it, but yeah once it gets to 5-5.5k it will upshift if I let off. Just a small annoyance. IF I drive around shifting it manually in autostick mode it's just fine.

I have the flashpaq and i completely disabled tpms. It's an off road add on you get on the Superchips spark program.

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom