Trail essentials- What tools to Carry Offroad

Aspen, do you happen to have any pics of how you secured that shelf to the jeep. Or is it just free-floating back there. It close to one of the ideas I have for secure storage in the back. Thanks.

Here you go Jags. I just made this all out of square tubing from LOWES. Bent some 1/8" into an L and welded it in place. Drilled the holes to fit over the rear seatbelt bolts and bolted down the front.
2014-09-07 09.35.50.jpg 2014-09-10 10.54.35.jpg

In the back, I just drilled through the tubing into the space behind the rear tail lights and used some SS hwr. I made sure to put rubber washers on both sides so I didn't get water inside. Of course, I painted the holes I drilled to minimize rusting too.
IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2406.jpg

Finished product before adding the shelf.
IMG_2407.jpg

That's what I was thinking. Buy the new "better" box from PSC and then paying for the stock box to get ported. I was thinking you could get some plugs so it would work for a factory replacement in a pinch.

I have the plugs with me and extra hoses with connections just in case. I have been watching for an older DEPHI box to send back and have done to have as a backup on the trails. Great idea!!!!!:rock:

CandAMudders

underseat

could use those under the seat bags; whole bunch of gear stuffed under my rear seats...tow strap, jumper cables, cleaning supplies, tire deflators, gloves, rope, shackles, old tie rod and various things my girls have dropped..:thumb:

ghowell24

WOW, that is some setup you have and very well organized. If I attempted this I would probably have things hanging off my jeep everywhere and or would have to pull a trailer.:beer:

Geronimo

I thought I was well prepared.....Outstanding setup. A great list of essentials for folks that go solo regularly to be sure, and the added bonus of being very well organized. Thanks!

BigPrince

Wow great setups!

One thought - recently going up a rocky trail at AOP after it had rained and gotten slick, I got half way up and ended up having to winch up to get turned around from where I was. Problem I had was that my back passenger corner was on a tree and I couldn't open the trunk. I had my setup rigged similiar with a ton of stuff in the back. The problem was I couldn't get to my tree saver or wired winch remote (wireless was initially not working but then started working).
Moral of the story - have your tree saver and winch controls where you can reach it in case you can't open your back. May not happen to me ever again but it was a really really shitty feeling until someone else let me use theirs.

Wow great setups!

One thought - recently going up a rocky trail at AOP after it had rained and gotten slick, I got half way up and ended up having to winch up to get turned around from where I was. Problem I had was that my back passenger corner was on a tree and I couldn't open the trunk. I had my setup rigged similiar with a ton of stuff in the back. The problem was I couldn't get to my tree saver or wired winch remote (wireless was initially not working but then started working).
Moral of the story - have your tree saver and winch controls where you can reach it in case you can't open your back. May not happen to me ever again but it was a really really shitty feeling until someone else let me use theirs.

So true! Great points!!!! I actually keep all my recovery gear in one bag under the rear seat for that reason. I got stuck in some deep snow two January 1st ago and needed to get to my gear. It was in the back..... What a pain!!!

jesse3638

Hooked
So true! Great points!!!! I actually keep all my recovery gear in one bag under the rear seat for that reason. I got stuck in some deep snow two January 1st ago and needed to get to my gear. It was in the back..... What a pain!!!

Yeah I had gotten myself into a predicament in calico where I slipped a little too close for comfort to a small ledge (3'-4') bad line selection combined with not turning off the front locker. I'm sure most have seen it in vids. For safety I asked for a strap just to keep me from going over in the even i slipped off. Didn't think I would but rather err on the side of caution. Well I was in a place where I wanted to keep my foot on the brake plus exiting would require me to jump down the ledge and who knows how easy it would have been to get back in. My passenger couldn't open the door. So my spotter had to get my strap out of the back. I had it conveniently stored in the rear cubby under my crate of stuff, ice chest, tools and other stuff..:crazyeyes: After about 5 mins (which felt like 30 sitting on the edge) he finally got it hooked it up. As I thought I didn't slip but was comfortable knowing that had I, I wouldn't have ended up upside down. Point is now if I know I'm going on a trail where a strap may be needed I pull it out and put it under the passenger seat where its easily accessible.

jesse3638

Hooked
My recent trip on the Newbie Run. Me, girlfriend, 3 kids, camping gear and food for all. I made sure to move my strap before I packed..haha. 1429124059709.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
That's awesome. Right after I bought my JK, we went and did he Hole in the rock trail in Southern Utah. My three girls and me along with five other JEEPS. The back looked like yours. Fun times!!!!

Oh it was awesome had a great time. Wouldn't want it any other way. Her son was trying to convince her that she needed to get a jeep of her own so we'd have room for my daughter too...haha

Top Bottom