Updated Texas Hidden Falls Adventure Park Newbie Run Oct 2nd-3rd

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Also, I think after this newbie run I will be more comfortable helping plan, leading, and assisting future trips to Hidden Falls. Maybe others will also. If we are able to give each other some help we can have more trips together.

2nd'ed!

this will only be my 3rd time out to hidden falls. Ive ran some pretty crazy (IMO) trails there not knowing what I was getting into, and feared for my jeep many times... my VERY first off road trial ever, was elephant hill (level 4) & Midnight run (level 4+) with less then 3k on my brand new JKUR, skids took one heck of beating. my second trip out my group ran wet~n~wild (level 5) and I was to ignorant to sit out... Beat the living hell out of the bottom of my jeep, and ended up high centered, nothing a tow strap couldn't fix but... I'll stick to the easier trials until I'm sitting a little higher off the ground...)

The additional trail leads were to start a second group right :) I don't really need a second person to lead a convoy but I can't be in two places at once; that's why I figured it would be daverawr leading group two with usmc tail gunning to tag team it. :)

I also agree that we should just split the groups right in half once we get our final number.

Trail update:

I did get out there Saturday and ran both sets of trails. I had my wife driving as a true simulation of newbie pace (it was her first time behind the wheel @ hidden falls).

The verdict on the time is that it took about 2 hrs to run the second set of trails (which is about perfect for single jeep, convoy will push it out to like 3ish). The first set of trails isn't long enough, only taking about half that and on less interesting terrain.

The downside to the second trailset is that the map is woefully inaccurate in that middle section where bull run / green horns / etc intersect so it's really easy to get lost going the wrong way.

So, I'm working on a revision using the second set that will let us get into the area as a group, split off at the right time, run parallel trails, then loop around and switch trails. :)

Thanks again for all you are doing for this trip.

Yes, Thank you guys for keeping this trip going and organized! awesome sauce! :thumb:

drafh

I know we are not doing the hard trails in the video (posted above) and I never intend to take my Jeep on the hard trails. I just thought it was neat that the small group in the video were wheeling in Hidden Falls.

daverawr

I know we are not doing the hard trails in the video (posted above) and I never intend to take my Jeep on the hard trails. I just thought it was neat that the small group in the video were wheeling in Hidden Falls.

Yeah it is! cant wait to get out there.!!!

Got my wayalife banner on the way so we can take those nice group shots and be noticed haha :D going to be a very fun trip to say the least. Hopefully get my evo rock sliders by then so can do some harder trails at night or for those wanting to run the harder trails after the main trails :)

daverawr

USMC can you add my buddy to the list. hes not apart of wayalife yet but he wants to come. He has a 2014 JKU with a body lift and 35s. Thanks!

USMC Wrangler

Looks like my family and I will be starting our drive up on Thursday. We are looking to stay around Kerrville or Fredericksburg that night. Then do the same heading home, staying in the same area Sunday night. If we can get camp setup early enough Friday or packed up Sunday we are going to hit this place up for some goodies to take home...

http://www.sweetberryfarm.com

Kumar

Looks like my family and I will be starting our drive up on Thursday. We are looking to stay around Kerrville or Fredericksburg that night. Then do the same heading home, staying in the same area Sunday night. If we can get camp setup early enough Friday or packed up Sunday we are going to hit this place up for some goodies to take home...

That looks like a fun spot for the kiddos. I may have to make a stop there as well after we depart Sunday.

Exodus 4x4

Just spoke to the manager at Hidden Falls and said there's still plenty of room for primitive camping. No bunkhouses left as of today though.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Primative camping requires no reservation, so they could have 10 people planning on camping or 10,000 and they wouldn't care to know... just a heads up.

tdougherty81

We took our kids there earlier this year. It was nice except it rained, so the field was little sloppy.

USMC Wrangler

Primative camping requires no reservation, so they could have 10 people planning on camping or 10,000 and they wouldn't care to know... just a heads up.

We took our kids there earlier this year. It was nice except it rained, so the field was little sloppy.

Both items above are concerns of mine...primitive camping full and rain. I don't completely mind if it rains after we set up camp, but plenty of tarps for under the tent will be packed.

Exodus 4x4

Both items above are concerns of mine...primitive camping full and rain. I don't completely mind if it rains after we set up camp, but plenty of tarps for under the tent will be packed.

What I meant to say was they have tent sights available you can reserve on top of primitive camping. I was interrupted in the middle of it so it didn't come across right.

USMC Wrangler

Finally watched the newest JKX video. They just aren't the same without Eddie's editing and narrating. The new ones just don't lead to the excitement I get after watching the previous ones. :twocents:

drafh

What is the plan after our run on Saturday? Are y'all staying Saturday and wheeling on Sunday?

Top Bottom