WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Doug it was a pleasure to meet you and look forward to a meet down the road. Your rig is awesome brother! I also really appreciate and thank you for the tires!

ForumRunner_20160617_163122.png

WJCO

Meme King
Doug it was a pleasure to meet you and look forward to a meet down the road. Your rig is awesome brother! I also really appreciate and thank you for the tires!

View attachment 208754

You too, Pete. Thanks for making the drive up. You have a sweet rig too.

And you must be a real Jeeper because I see you have 6 spare tires that you carry with you in the back. :thumb:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
You too, Pete. Thanks for making the drive up. You have a sweet rig too.

And you must be a real Jeeper because I see you have 6 spare tires that you carry with you in the back. :thumb:

When I roll I bring a whole set!:cheesy:

WJCO

Meme King
So over the weekend I went on the Slaughterhouse trail with some others here and had some difficulty on a steep hill. H8ROADS said at one point he noticed my front drive shaft was spinning but not my front tires. Come to find out, the LSD carrier in these WJs are fluid actuated and can have issues getting air in the carrier on steep hills and not be able to actuate the LSD. That's exactly what happened as most of the time the 4x4 worked fine. I found out when I got home the 4low is definitely working correctly. So that means it's time for a locker! I don't really want to lock the 30 as I'm running a tiny pinion gear as it is and I would also have to re-set the gears again with the new carrier. So I think it's time for a new axle!

I didn't want to settle for less than a ProRock since a new axle is an expensive purchase. Do it once and do it right. And now after talking to Dynatrac, they said they think they can build an axle for a WJ. :rock: Previously I was told they probably couldn't because of the coil brackets not being available. They are available now, so I sent Dynatrac the part descriptions and specs and they think they can work with it. That takes a huge stress off of me having to build it myself which I really didn't want to do or settle for a cheaper axle. The only other WJ 44 available now is a JK Rubicon axle that's had modified brackets, still a good axle but not a ProRock.

Only catch now is coming up with the money! Hopefully soon though.

GraniteCrystal

Oh man, PR44 and a locker. You're going all in on this thing now.

If you figure out a quick, legal way to secure a few thousand bucks, let me know.

geberhard

Douchebag
That rocks (err Pro-rocks!) I have a buddy that was looking into upgrading his WJ, will forward him this thread. What are you running in the rear?

WJCO

Meme King
Oh man, PR44 and a locker. You're going all in on this thing now.

If you figure out a quick, legal way to secure a few thousand bucks, let me know.

Lol. With today's cost of living, I'll have to get a 2nd and 3rd job, then I'll get back to you after taxes.

That rocks (err Pro-rocks!) I have a buddy that was looking into upgrading his WJ, will forward him this thread. What are you running in the rear?

He'll have to get the Clayton brackets or have Dynatrac get them. Only company that makes them right now, thank God someone does. I'm running a 44a in the rear with LSD. Rear axle has always worked fine whether sand or loose rock. I'm going to keep it the way it is for now. The rear is the same dilemma as the front, I'd have to change out the carrier and re-set the gears. Really don't want to do that right now. The 44a also has a beefy gear set. I'm going to throw a skid under it and call it good. I'm only doing the skid because the pumpkin is aluminum.

xwaz

You might want to have him check out east coast gear supply. They sell prebuild axles that bolt directly in to what ever jeep you want and you can fit them with what ever gears lockers and shafts you need.

WJCO

Meme King
You might want to have him check out east coast gear supply. They sell prebuild axles that bolt directly in to what ever jeep you want and you can fit them with what ever gears lockers and shafts you need.

ECGS is the only one right now that is selling a complete 44 WJ axle for the front. However, it's not a Pro Rock. I contacted them about using a PR housing and building it for me. They said it would be too much work and pointed me toward a Ultimate Dana 44 (which looking at the specs wasn't much different than the rubi housing). I really hope Dynatrac can do the build for me even if it costs more in the long run. If not, The ECGS rubi axle is what'll I'll probably go with unless I really want to do all the work myself.

xwaz

ECGS is the only one right now that is selling a complete 44 WJ axle for the front. However, it's not a Pro Rock. I contacted them about using a PR housing and building it for me. They said it would be too much work and pointed me toward a Ultimate Dana 44 (which looking at the specs wasn't much different than the rubi housing). I really hope Dynatrac can do the build for me even if it costs more in the long run. If not, The ECGS rubi axle is what'll I'll probably go with unless I really want to do all the work myself.

The only issue I see with putting a prorock in the wj is the width. Wj axles are 63.5" wide I believe while jks are 65" so to match your track widths you will have to run rear spacers of .75" that is unless pro rock will make the housing just that 1.5" smaller.

WJCO

Meme King
The only issue I see with putting a prorock in the wj is the width. Wj axles are 63.5" wide I believe while jks are 65" so to match your track widths you will have to run rear spacers of .75" that is unless pro rock will make the housing just that 1.5" smaller.

Would that really be an issue to worry about? I know a few WJers have done some custom 44 swaps and didn't remember that being mentioned. I can deal with spacers if needed. I'll definitely look into it.

xwaz

Would that really be an issue to worry about? I know a few WJers have done some custom 44 swaps and didn't remember that being mentioned. I can deal with spacers if needed. I'll definitely look into it.

Its not a huge deal but it just looks quite strange with the front sitting much wider than the rear. I don't believe it would cause mechanical issues but just once you get used to the width of the stock axles in the front it will mess with the line you take through trees rocks and ruts.

WJCO

Meme King
Its not a huge deal but it just looks quite strange with the front sitting much wider than the rear. I don't believe it would cause mechanical issues but just once you get used to the width of the stock axles in the front it will mess with the line you take through trees rocks and ruts.

Gotcha. I'll look into it.

WJCO

Meme King
Just got in my rear diff skid plate from Mountain Vista Fabrication. I debated even getting one of these, but the rear 44a pumpkin is aluminum. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Took awhile to get here, but is beefy and looks like it is built well.

DSC03765.JPG

DSC03766.JPG

Top Bottom