PDA

View Full Version : What's the Importance of Hydro Assist

Krieger
08-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm getting closer to the final build day,
Im courious about PSC or other brands.
What's the deal?
I'm going to be on 37"
Tires and I'm planing on running on the rocks. Do I need hydro assist? Or can I run fine without it.
Your feedback would be apprenticed.

OverlanderJK
08-28-2013, 07:36 PM
You don't need it but it will make turning your 37's easier.

10frank9
08-28-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm getting closer to the final build day,
Im curious about PSC or other brands.
What's the deal?
I'm going to be on 37"
Tires and I'm planing on running on the rocks. Do I need hydro assist? Or can I run fine without it.
Your feedback would be appreciated.

Eventually the stress of turning 37's on a stock steering box will come to a head. But with that said plenty of folks on 37's without hydro assist. I am planning for it eventually just lots of $$$$. PSC is what I've seen, it's tested and true.

munstie
08-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Have you looked into the redneck ram I've heard it's cheaper than psc

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Krieger
08-28-2013, 07:46 PM
So it's something I should think about.
But I'll be fine for now.
Damn this deep ass rabbit hole!!
Thanks.

SDG
08-28-2013, 09:02 PM
It takes a lot of the stress off of the pitman arm correct?

Do people generally upgrade to a high volume ps pump as well like the new PSC one? Or just a larger fluid reservoir. .. or both?

StrizzyChris
08-28-2013, 09:10 PM
It takes a lot of the stress off of the pitman arm correct?

Yes, but its the stress transferred from the pitman arm up through the sector shaft and into the steering box thats the biggest concern. Pitman arms, for the most part, are solid so they dont commonly become damaged. The steering box is what will see the damage from prolonged stress from big tires.

Atch
08-28-2013, 09:20 PM
46560this is why I'm in the process of installing a PSC kit! My first trip playing on rocks with my 37's was very short!

Wolff1
08-28-2013, 09:26 PM
this is why I'm in the process of installing a PSC kit! My first trip playing on rocks with my 37's was very short!

43 minutes, I believe. cant wait to see what you can do with hydro assist in

StrizzyChris
08-28-2013, 09:28 PM

Oh crap, you snapped the shaft that fast? :eek: I cant tell from the pic, is that an aftermarket dropped pitman arm or stock?

Krieger
08-28-2013, 09:38 PM
O snap, should I aiming for this sooner than later? I'm real light on the skinny pedal. And if I choose a solid line could I get by for a bit? Thinking deeply now.

ridg3runner
08-28-2013, 09:43 PM
I have the PSC and it makes a HUGE difference on my 37's. My kit came with new res, steering box, pump and intercooler that fits inside my grill. 1 finger steering now ! It isnt uncommon for me to overshoot a parking stall because I forget how responsive it is now. Wasnt hard to install except the instructions are seperated into each component and downloaded seperately. Just be careful not to hook the hydro lines to the ram backwards, it will let you know right away,lol

Krieger
08-28-2013, 09:50 PM
How much would one spend on the kit?
Ballpark idea

ridg3runner
08-28-2013, 10:05 PM
I might be mistaken but I think mine was around $2400 but I also got it right from PSC, no middleman, it's better that way.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ridg3runner
08-28-2013, 10:07 PM
I also opted for them to send me a new box rather than letting them rebuild mine. Didn't want to be without my ride.

Atch
08-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Oh crap, you snapped the shaft that fast? :eek: I cant tell from the pic, is that an aftermarket dropped pitman arm or stock?

It's the stock pitman arm

Krieger
08-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.
I think I'm going to bump this item up on my list of now vs later.
Cheers!!

Edit: I just thought of something, couldn't I just upgrade the steering box to a heavy duty one? Say out of a large pickup or something. Or is it a waste of time.

Prime
08-29-2013, 12:57 AM
Maybe when you put yours on you could do a write up on it.?? I hate reading instructions I would rather see it then do it...

Rollincoal420
08-29-2013, 01:43 AM
With the hydro assist, does the steering wheel still return to center on its own? I've heard with full hydro it doesn't. You have to steer it back to straight coming out of a turn. The equipment at work is like this too. Full hydro.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Moochie
08-29-2013, 01:51 AM
With the hydro assist, does the steering wheel still return to center on its own? I've heard with full hydro it doesn't. You have to steer it back to straight coming out of a turn. The equipment at work is like this too. Full hydro.

From some info I have seen (there's a debate on this) - full hydro is not allowed in California because if you blow a hose you will loose all your steering. With hydro assist you still have a mechanical connection to your steering box if you loose a hose.

Skirmish
08-29-2013, 02:08 AM
http://www.liftlaws.com/is_full_hydro_steering_street_legal.htm

$100 LIFTLAWS.COM BOUNTY - Anyone that provides us with documentation showing that full hydro steering is illegal (in states other than Tennessee) or sends us a copy of a fix-it ticket that they received for having a full hydraulic steering system will have $100 donated to the BlueRibbon Coalition in their name.

Rollincoal420
08-29-2013, 02:35 AM
From some info I have seen (there's a debate on this) - full hydro is not allowed in California because if you blow a hose you will loose all your steering. With hydro assist you still have a mechanical connection to your steering box if you loose a hose.

Yeah, I understand that, and it can kinda make sence. I was simply wondering how it hydro assist reacts compared to full hydro since they both run hydro rams. Even tho they operate differently. I know how they both work, there components, ect.

I have never drove a rig with hydro assist, so I'm asking how it drives. If it's like stock power steering on steroids or if its more like full hydro, Will the wheels return back to center somewhat on their own or do you have to do it by counter steering ?

ridg3runner
08-29-2013, 03:58 AM

Its just like driving a regular car, if you didn't know ahead of time it was there you'd never know. Comes right back to center every time. Also,, changing the box alone won't fix the potential problems. There are just too many weak areas in the system from sector shaft issues to literally tearing the box itself off of the frame because of lack of support. IMO, it is money well spent/invested. One more thing,,, if you pull the trigger and get one YOU have to do a writeup on the install. Its too late for me to do it,lol

ridg3runner
08-29-2013, 04:08 AM
I too am from the land of fruits and nuts (California) and I have not seen a "full" hydro that wasn't a trailer queen. But, then again, there seems to be more rice grinders than Jeeps in my area too and those guys are somehow able to do their builds a bit cheaper (quality as well as price ) than we do.

Tcdawg
08-29-2013, 02:52 PM
It was posted once in this thread but worth repeating, check out West Texas Offroad. Much cheaper than PSC's full tilt kit but still gives you want you need. They will rebuild your existing box, drill and tap it for the lines to the ram. Most of the time your stock pump will work just fine and does not need to be replaced(PSC kits replace it). They offer a 1.5 or 1.75" diameter ram.

Also, you'll want to add a cooler.

ridg3runner
08-29-2013, 05:02 PM
It probably doesn't matter which of the 2 brands you go with. I went with PSC because they've been around a minute or two and figured they might know what they are doing. Also, my pump was starting to give up the ghost so it was best to replace it anyway.

Krieger
08-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I just talked to Mel at EVO and he highly recommends PSC
He said you get what you pay for and for the kit ill need its about $2,000 for everything, and for them to install its about $1,000
I'm prob going to install myself. Time to read up!!

Rebel JK
08-29-2013, 05:28 PM
It was posted once in this thread but worth repeating, check out West Texas Offroad. Much cheaper than PSC's full tilt kit but still gives you want you need. They will rebuild your existing box, drill and tap it for the lines to the ram. Most of the time your stock pump will work just fine and does not need to be replaced(PSC kits replace it). They offer a 1.5 or 1.75" diameter ram.

Are you running this? I need to do something as well and would love to hear how its working for you. I could swing this but the full PSC would have to wait until the kids are out of college!

ridg3runner
08-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Cant get to their website. Are they that good that they dont need one? :banghead:

Prime8
08-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Or you could do the DIY kit for under $500 like I did.

MTG
08-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Where is that write up? :)

Prime8
08-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Pm'ed you....

StrizzyChris
08-29-2013, 08:25 PM

X2...i would really like to see your work. Can I get a PM too ;)

noroad
08-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Pm'ed you....

X3 i would love to know about this!

Krieger
08-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Well Since I'm doing my homework do you think you could send me a little info on this as well.
I would really like to know what all my options are.

JandSJK
08-29-2013, 10:00 PM

x4 getting ready to do one would really like to see what you did

Prime8
08-29-2013, 10:06 PM
If I were to go with an out of the box option, Howe Performance is the way to go. Way better quality components, more features, and improved design over the PSC setup (and even slightly cheaper).

Prime8
08-29-2013, 10:08 PM
x4 getting ready to do one would really like to see what you did

Google "DIY Hydro assist".

Krieger
08-30-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm all over it thanks!!

JandSJK
08-30-2013, 01:42 AM

Thanks will do

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rebel JK
08-30-2013, 05:01 PM

Just curious, which of the 15,800 results did you find most helpful? :cheesy: Seriously though, there is a lot of info out there to weed through, it would be great to hear first hand which write up you went with. Dont be a tease ;)

Prime8
08-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Just curious, which of the 15,800 results did you find most helpful? :cheesy: Seriously though, there is a lot of info out there to weed through, it would be great to hear first hand which write up you went with. Dont be a tease ;)

I'm not being mysterious for its own merit, I just feel it is in poor taste to post a link to a different forum. Happy hunting.

OverlanderJK
08-30-2013, 05:03 PM

I guess it's hard for him to google it and copy the URL. :crazyeyes:

Prime8
08-30-2013, 05:04 PM
I guess it's hard for him to google it and copy the URL. :crazyeyes:

Guess its hard for you not to criticize me at every turn...

OverlanderJK
08-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Guess its hard for you not to criticize me at every turn...

This is the first time in a long time. :thumb:

Prime8
08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
This is the first time in a long time. :thumb:

I haven't been on much lately, so your chances have been limited.

OverlanderJK
08-30-2013, 05:06 PM
I haven't been on much lately, so your chances have been limited.

That's why I gotta take every chance I get. :cheesy:

MTG
08-30-2013, 05:17 PM
JFC!

Like talking about another forum but not really talking about it ;) is somehow better. :crazyeyes:

For those who like mystery click here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DIY+Hydro+assist+jk

For those who like to do their own typing search: "DIY Hydro Assist jk" and click on the first link

For those who don't like to beat around the bush: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80502

Krieger
08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
JFC!

Like talking about another forum but not really talking about it ;) is somehow better. :crazyeyes:

For those who like mystery click here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DIY+Hydro+assist+jk

For those who like to do their own typing search: "DIY Hydro Assist jk" and click on the first link

For those who don't like to beat around the bush: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80502

Thanks man, I looked last night and there was a crap tone of crap to go through.

Rebel JK
08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks MTG. I'm not one of those beat around the bush types myself.

StrizzyChris
08-31-2013, 12:17 AM
A guy tries to be courteous to the rules of this forum, by not posting links to an outside website/forum, and he gets ridiculed about it? :grayno:

Tcdawg
08-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Are you running this? I need to do something as well and would love to hear how its working for you. I could swing this but the full PSC would have to wait until the kids are out of college!

I am not running this yet but will be within the next month. I have driven a jk w the WTO ram set up and it worked well.

My pump is still ok and the stock pump, if its working properly is enough for a 1.5 or 1.75 ram. My steering box leaking but just needs a rebuild which WTO will do.

Going to take advantage of Polys 10% off weekend and order a Derale cooler.

Tcdawg
08-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Cant get to their website. Are they that good that they dont need one? :banghead:

Just google West Texas Offroad.... Should come right up and work. Never had a problem but it could have been a temp issue.

Tcdawg
08-31-2013, 01:17 AM
I just talked to Mel at EVO and he highly recommends PSC
He said you get what you pay for and for the kit ill need its about $2,000 for everything, and for them to install its about $1,000
I'm prob going to install myself. Time to read up!!

The only thing more ridiculous than $2000
For that PSC kit is $1000 for the install.

Krieger
08-31-2013, 01:26 AM
The only thing more ridiculous than $2000
For that PSC kit is $1000 for the install.

Yea that was hard to hear, I'm getting pretty deep into the costs right now and I really want to do this right. I'm at a stuper on which setup to run. I'm going to keep digging and see what I find.
One things for sure, I cant spend a grand on labor.

MTG
08-31-2013, 01:32 AM
A guy tries to be courteous to the rules of this forum, by not posting links to an outside website/forum, and he gets ridiculed about it? :grayno:

A guy tries to keep the other guy from getting inundated with PMs or posts asking for the information and gets accused of ridiculing the guy he was helping out. :grayno:

Thanks for playing moderator but I'm pretty sure if they don't want it posted, they'll remove it. Feel free to click the report button if you are bothered by it. Of course, what's worse? Talking about the other forum and PM'ing people about it, which in turn generates a bunch of other posts asking about the same information, or just posting up the link? :thinking: I don't know, but I have my opinion. Again, thanks for playing moderator, but I think they do a pretty good job around here on their own. :thumb:

Krieger
08-31-2013, 01:48 AM
A guy tries to keep the other guy from getting inundated with PMs or posts asking for the information and gets accused of ridiculing the guy he was helping out. :grayno:

Thanks for playing moderator but I'm pretty sure if they don't want it posted, they'll remove it. Feel free to click the report button if you are bothered by it. Of course, what's worse? Talking about the other forum and PM'ing people about it, which in turn generates a bunch of other posts asking about the same information, or just posting up the link? :thinking: I don't know, but I have my opinion. Again, thanks for playing moderator, but I think they do a pretty good job around here on their own. :thumb:

For the record, I was glad you did. It was a good read.

Prime8
08-31-2013, 02:47 AM
It's not exactly hard to find with the info I posted. If google searching was too complicated, then buy the PSC and have someone install it because there is no way you'll be able to do the DIY setup. On the other hand, the DIY setup cost me about $500, including 2x the amount needed of Royal Purple fluid. I am happy to answer any specific questions people might have along the way, but the bulk of the info is on the aforementioned thread in the other forum. When I did mine, I bugged PSC enough on the phone that they began making the 1.5" x 6.75" ram again (They had stopped for a while because they wanted you to buy their $2k setup instead of their $190 ram) and got the first one out the door. The single pass 12" derale aluminum tubular heat sink cooler is plenty for this setup. Check out summit racing for that, or amazon/eBay (I think it was $50 ish). I got my high pressure hoses from West Texas for $45 plus shipping. Just tell them you want the Jk hose kit. Got my pre 2009 rebuildable gear box from a guy on another forum for like $75, already rebuilt.
Thanks Strizzy for the backup.

familytime2
08-31-2013, 03:18 AM
Once you air down playing in the rocks becomes harder to turn.Thought about the PSC system but cost of kit was a little high for our taste.Rebuilt our steer gear with parts from Red Neck Off Road,tap my own box,purchased a ram from psc as well as the high volume pump,or you can mod your stocker.

Prime8
08-31-2013, 03:20 AM
Dammit, you SOBs, I can't let you try and install a janky setup... I'm far too anal-retentive for that. I will start working on a COMPREHENSIVE write up this long weekend and TRY to have it done by Tuesday.

familytime2
08-31-2013, 03:29 AM
Testy,anyone with half a brain can figure it out.Who needs a write up:bleh:

Prime8
08-31-2013, 03:34 AM
Testy,anyone with half a brain can figure it out.Who needs a write up:bleh:

Lots of people have asked me to do a write up of mine. Who asked you...?

Prime
08-31-2013, 04:18 AM
Dammit, you SOBs, I can't let you try and install a janky setup... I'm far too anal-retentive for that. I will start working on a COMPREHENSIVE write up this long weekend and TRY to have it done by Tuesday.

You Sir are tha MAN!!!!!:rock: Thank you for help at least me save some money for the finer things in life!

StrizzyChris
08-31-2013, 03:47 PM

For the record I wasn't talking about you but ok :idontknow:

Again, thanks for playing moderator, but I think they do a pretty good job around here on their own. :thumb:

Holy shit did I just get a promotion! :wings: :blush:

Prime8
08-31-2013, 03:51 PM
For the record I wasn't talking about you but ok :idontknow:

Holy shit did I just get a promotion! :wings: :blush:

Strizzy for Wayalife Dictator!

Tcdawg
08-31-2013, 08:47 PM
I bugged PSC enough on the phone that they began making the 1.5" x 6.75" ram again .

I don't see that 6.75 ram in their website?

Prime8
09-03-2013, 02:25 AM
It's gonna take longer than I thought. Busy all weekend. I'll start the write up this week...

hinrichs
09-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Ill have to finally start looking into this finally, deff with a few others on here tho cant be dropping a lot into a setup, esp the install costs

Prime8
09-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Ill have to finally start looking into this finally, deff with a few others on here tho cant be dropping a lot into a setup, esp the install costs

Cost me about $500, but I bought a new-used steering box too so my daily driver rig wouldn't be down while the box was being tapped.

DunnyBunny
09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Also interested in that write up.

Krieger
09-17-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm hoping that PSC will be at the Offroad Expo next month, so I can maybe get a little better price.