What's the Importance of Hydro Assist

Rollincoal420

From some info I have seen (there's a debate on this) - full hydro is not allowed in California because if you blow a hose you will loose all your steering. With hydro assist you still have a mechanical connection to your steering box if you loose a hose.

Yeah, I understand that, and it can kinda make sence. I was simply wondering how it hydro assist reacts compared to full hydro since they both run hydro rams. Even tho they operate differently. I know how they both work, there components, ect.

I have never drove a rig with hydro assist, so I'm asking how it drives. If it's like stock power steering on steroids or if its more like full hydro, Will the wheels return back to center somewhat on their own or do you have to do it by counter steering ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

With the hydro assist, does the steering wheel still return to center on its own? I've heard with full hydro it doesn't. You have to steer it back to straight coming out of a turn. The equipment at work is like this too. Full hydro.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Its just like driving a regular car, if you didn't know ahead of time it was there you'd never know. Comes right back to center every time. Also,, changing the box alone won't fix the potential problems. There are just too many weak areas in the system from sector shaft issues to literally tearing the box itself off of the frame because of lack of support. IMO, it is money well spent/invested. One more thing,,, if you pull the trigger and get one YOU have to do a writeup on the install. Its too late for me to do it,lol

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I too am from the land of fruits and nuts (California) and I have not seen a "full" hydro that wasn't a trailer queen. But, then again, there seems to be more rice grinders than Jeeps in my area too and those guys are somehow able to do their builds a bit cheaper (quality as well as price ) than we do.

Tcdawg

It was posted once in this thread but worth repeating, check out West Texas Offroad. Much cheaper than PSC's full tilt kit but still gives you want you need. They will rebuild your existing box, drill and tap it for the lines to the ram. Most of the time your stock pump will work just fine and does not need to be replaced(PSC kits replace it). They offer a 1.5 or 1.75" diameter ram.

Also, you'll want to add a cooler.

It probably doesn't matter which of the 2 brands you go with. I went with PSC because they've been around a minute or two and figured they might know what they are doing. Also, my pump was starting to give up the ghost so it was best to replace it anyway.

Krieger

I just talked to Mel at EVO and he highly recommends PSC
He said you get what you pay for and for the kit ill need its about $2,000 for everything, and for them to install its about $1,000
I'm prob going to install myself. Time to read up!!

Rebel JK

It was posted once in this thread but worth repeating, check out West Texas Offroad. Much cheaper than PSC's full tilt kit but still gives you want you need. They will rebuild your existing box, drill and tap it for the lines to the ram. Most of the time your stock pump will work just fine and does not need to be replaced(PSC kits replace it). They offer a 1.5 or 1.75" diameter ram.

Are you running this? I need to do something as well and would love to hear how its working for you. I could swing this but the full PSC would have to wait until the kids are out of college!

Cant get to their website. Are they that good that they dont need one? :banghead:

Krieger

Well Since I'm doing my homework do you think you could send me a little info on this as well.
I would really like to know what all my options are.

Prime8

If I were to go with an out of the box option, Howe Performance is the way to go. Way better quality components, more features, and improved design over the PSC setup (and even slightly cheaper).

Top Bottom