2.5 lift.....is it worth it to long arm it?

mcgee149

SO IM IN A 2012 TWO DOOR RUBI WITH A 2.5" LIFT AND 35S. I SOLD A TOY AND THINKING ABOUT JUST PUTTING IT BACK INTO MY JEEP. SO IS IT WORTH IT TO THROW A LONG ARM UPGRADE KIT ON IT..... RIDE? FLEX? AND SO ON. PLEASE SHARE THOUGHTS AND :twocents: OH AND MAYBE SOME PICS!!! THANKS GUYS:rock:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

All kidding aside you won't see any gains from going long arm with that small of a lift. And long arms don't give better flex.

mcgee149

sorry im a drafter so caps is always on....... except now. what if in the future i would go to a 3" plush ride? still not worth it? should i just finish my short arm?

rosspaschall

I think it's one of those things that can't hurt. You replace the junk factory ones, and give yourself room to grow if you do decide to go with a bigger lift down the road.

TheDuff

The 3 link has been brought up a bunch of times here. Won't increase flex because your shocks and bumpstops limit it. Having to relocate the fuel tank is a con. Breaking any one of the arms, brackets, or even just blowing a joint out will ruin your day. Doesn't seem productive imo

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The whole point of installing long arms is to correct your suspension geometry after installing a tall lift. This WILL NOT give you more flex but rather, improve your ride quality ON PAVEMENT and when bombing through the desert. If you're just a rock crawler type, they would only cost you more money than you need to spend and get in your way. At 2.5", there wouldn't be enough change in your geometry to matter.

mcgee149

since the long arm is out the window im going to get rear upper and lower control arms. any suggestions? I like the rock krawler stuff but im open to suggestions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
since the long arm is out the window im going to get rear upper and lower control arms. any suggestions? I like the rock krawler stuff but im open to suggestions.

It's your money and you should spend it however you want but, at only 2.5", is there a reason you think you really need them? :idontknow:

mcgee149

I have bent two rear lower control arms and have a rear drive shaft sitting in my garage to install also and thought the little extra wheel base might help out.

rinkishjk

I have bent two rear lower control arms and have a rear drive shaft sitting in my garage to install also and thought the little extra wheel base might help out.

A long arm isn't going to give u any more wheelbase. That's not why u upgrade to a long arm.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Again, it's your money but, I have little doubt that you can find a set of FREE replacement factory arms. I used to have a ton and gave them away all the time to those in need. If you have a new rear shaft, yeah, uppers are needed for sure and I personally would recommend something like a set of Currie as they can be set to give you the pinion angle you'll need with such a short lift. As far as wheel base goes, you're kidding yourself if you really think an additional 1"-2" is going to make any difference at all. When I stretched the 2-door we had, we did about a 12" stretch and while still shorter than a 4-door, it's the only way you really see benefits. Again, just trying to save you some money.

mcgee149

A long arm isn't going to give u any more wheelbase. That's not why u upgrade to a long arm.

let me rephrase. I more or less would like to re-center my axel in the center of my wheel well, and I have a rear drive shaft in my garage and would need to be able to set my pinion angle.

Top Bottom