2.5 lift.....is it worth it to long arm it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
let me rephrase. I more or less would like to re-center my axel in the center of my wheel well, and I have a rear drive shaft in my garage and would need to be able to set my pinion angle.

At just 2.5" of lift, the amount of axle shift you will see is negligible.... maybe 1/8"-1/4".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
well it sounds like my jeep is done till I break something......:thinking:

:cheesy: Well, from a practical standpoint, yeah. But again, if you have money to burn and just want to makes upgrades just because, you should! :yup:

mcgee149

:cheesy: Well, from a practical standpoint, yeah. But again, if you have money to burn and just want to makes upgrades just because, you should! :yup:

yeah I hear yea on that one :brows: me and a few buddies are going to do the dusy soon and just want to do a sweet new mod that will help me along

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yeah I hear yea on that one :brows: me and a few buddies are going to do the dusy soon and just want to do a sweet new mod that will help me along

Do you have a winch? Tow points front and rear? What kind of recovery gear and trail tools do you have? How about sway bar quick disconnects?

maybe a sport cage is a good idea lol :thinking:

Sure, it's always a good thing to have more protection :yup:

mcgee149

Do you have a winch? Tow points front and rear? What kind of recovery gear and trail tools do you have? How about sway bar quick disconnects?

Sure, it's always a good thing to have more protection :yup:

front and rear poison spyder bfh bumpers, im in a rubi with the evo nob on the sway bar cause I broke the motor, got decent trail tools, c02 tank, high lift, straps, shackles, no winch but I wheel with friends and they will just pull me off or over..... frame mounted sliders wouldn't be a bad idea :brows: im not the biggest fan of the springs im running (rk) was thinking about the plush ride evo spings I have read good thing about them, also thought about beadlocks :thinking: so I guess m far from done lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
since the long arm is out the window im going to get rear upper and lower control arms. any suggestions? I like the rock krawler stuff but im open to suggestions.

I have had a bad experience with the rock krawler control arms. It's a long story but I would stay away from them. As Eddie said look at just rear upper arms like currie or even synergy maybe so you can get your pinion angle right.

NM2012CherryJK

Don't mean to thread jack I'm in the same situation would you suggest a long arm upgrade if you have a 4 inch lift I also have a 2 door. Thanks!:thumb:

NM2012CherryJK

Sweet that's what hoping for, it can get kind of sketchy at high speeds on road so I was looking in to a long arm upgrade to improve some I was looking at the EVO Long Arm upgrade. Any other suggestions?? I just got there ProTeck skids and the quality was awesome.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet that's what hoping for, it can get kind of sketchy at high speeds on road so I was looking in to a long arm upgrade to improve some I was looking at the EVO Long Arm upgrade. Any other suggestions?? I just got there ProTeck skids and the quality was awesome.

Well, to be fair, if you're feeling like your ride is sketchy at high speeds, you may just need to add a bit more positive caster and, if you haven't done so already, install a drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit. That should help out quite a bit and without an expensive upgrade. Long arms will correct your suspension geometry and improve the overall feel of your ride especially on pavement and when bombing through the desert. I would highly recommend the EVO long arm kit especially if you're willing to burn it in (can be bolted but welded is better). If you need your kit to be bolted on, I have run the Full Traction kit and it works well too.

NM2012CherryJK

Well, to be fair, if you're feeling like your ride is sketchy at high speeds, you may just need to add a bit more positive caster and, if you haven't done so already, install a drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit. That should help out quite a bit and without an expensive upgrade. Long arms will correct your suspension geometry and improve the overall feel of your ride especially on pavement and when bombing through the desert. I would highly recommend the EVO long arm kit especially if you're willing to burn it in (can be bolted but welded is better). If you need your kit to be bolted on, I have run the Full Traction kit and it works well too.

They original owner installed the current lift it has the control arm drop brackets and dropped pitman arm it does also look like it has a drop bracket for the drag link. Would you advise putting the stock pitman arm back on and do the flip? I was on the fence of doing the long arm upgrade or getting rid of the drop brackets for the control arms and getting the Currie set. Thanks for the help this is my first JK:thumb:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
They original owner installed the current lift it has the control arm drop brackets and dropped pitman arm it does also look like it has a drop bracket for the drag link. Would you advise putting the stock pitman arm back on and do the flip? I was on the fence of doing the long arm upgrade or getting rid of the drop brackets for the control arms and getting the Currie set. Thanks for the help this is my first JK:thumb:

Can you take a picture of your steering set up? Something doesn't sound right.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you have control arm drop brackets, a dropped pitman arm and a drop bracket for your "track bar" (is what I think you meant to say), installing a drag link flip won't make much of a difference as your steering geometry is already corrected. Are you sure you just have 4" of lift? Do you know what your caster is at now?

Top Bottom