2.5 lift.....is it worth it to long arm it?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Almost sounds like he has a dropped pitman arm and maybe a dropped frame side bracket for the track bar. Guessing the drag link and track bar got confused, if so, wouldn't that lower the front roll center and cause his sketchy ride? Along with caster maybe? Just throwing things out there..

NM2012CherryJK

Yes sorry the track bar has the drop bracket and the drag link has the dropped pit man arm. And when I took it in for the ball joints to be replaced they did indicated to get some adjustable control arms to bring the caster back to with in spec. They did not know what kind of lift it was Ill take some pictures on lunch. However I think it has the AEV drop brackets so I would lean towards one of there's they did indicate that it was at least a 4 inch lift I could fit 37's with stock fenders. Thanks for all the help!! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, being that they pretty much told you that your caster is off, that could explain your handling issues at highway speeds. If you have money to spend, replacing what you have with an EVO long arm would be a great upgrade and one that would address all this. But, if you're on a budget, I personally would get rid of your control arm drop brackets and install a set of adjustable control arms to correct your caster.

NM2012CherryJK

Okay, being that they pretty much told you that your caster is off, that could explain your handling issues at highway speeds. If you have money to spend, replacing what you have with an EVO long arm would be a great upgrade and one that would address all this. But, if you're on a budget, I personally would get rid of your control arm drop brackets and install a set of adjustable control arms to correct your caster.

Okay that's what i was hoping would be the case! :thumb: Thanks for all the help I'm saving for drive shafts then the long arm it is! :thumb:

NM2012CherryJK

Oh on a side question will the EVO long arm upgrade work with the ProTeck skid system? I was told it would but you have to modify the Exhaust & Tranny Cross-member Skid

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh on a side question will the EVO long arm upgrade work with the ProTeck skid system? I was told it would but you have to modify the Exhaust & Tranny Cross-member Skid

What you heard is right. The exhaust/tranny skid will need to be modified as the long arm mount will get in the way.

BBrown626

The whole point of installing long arms is to correct your suspension geometry after installing a tall lift. This WILL NOT give you more flex but rather, improve your ride quality ON PAVEMENT and when bombing through the desert. If you're just a rock crawler type, they would only cost you more money than you need to spend and get in your way. At 2.5", there wouldn't be enough change in your geometry to matter.

How much lift warrants long arms? In other words, at what point does the improvement in ride quality become significant on the road? I currently sit at nearly 4" with my coils adjusted all the way down.
I have the EVO bolt-on coilovers. Is the significant flex and resulting shift in axle position with short arms a good reason to use long arms?
While they may not offer more flex, do they offer less binding? The longer arm would seem to require less movement at the joints for a given change in axle position or orientation.

Thank you,

Brent

Top Bottom