3.8L Stroker article in FourWheeler Magazine

We've had two out of three Chrysler vehicles in my family with the 3.8L give up the ghost in the last year, both due to basically fatigue. My Jeep is holding up so far (knock on wood). Maybe I'm wrong here but stroking an already weak 3.8L may not be much different than trying to "beef up" a Dana 30 beyond Gussets. The money spent doing so would be better spent towards a sure thing such as an LS or Hemi, but like I said, I could be wrong.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
For that price go with a supercharger, least you could sell that and make some money back compared to selling a 3.8, even if it was stroked.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I read the same article as well and I agree with Ridg3runner that it sounds like a beefed up dana 30. You already have to pull the engine... why not put a V8 in its place (authors note: I have no idea what it takes to do a V8 swap other than remove the old engine)

Loading please wait....

rinkishjk

I read the same article as well and I agree with Ridg3runner that it sounds like a beefed up dana 30. You already have to pull the engine... why not put a V8 in its place (authors note: I have no idea what it takes to do a V8 swap other than remove the old engine)

Loading please wait....

Your looking at Alot more money to do a v8 swap, even if u did this and then bought a ripp kit. I see this as a great option for someone who has a blown 3.8, that needs a new motor and cannot afford all the stuff that goes along with the v8 swap. They took most of the problems with the 3.8 and improved on them.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd like to see the actual dyno numbers, if they estimate 200hp at the rear wheels on an automatic that would be about at least a 40hp boost at the wheels. 200hp at the wheels would mean about 250HP engine, still not a 3.6 but not far off from it for a stage 2 build, but they are also using some pre-production parts so a dyno test will be interesting.

the 3.8 is a strong block unlike a weak d30, it was the design (or lack of) of the parts that went into the 3.8. Also don't like that the on-road power band is so high in the RPM range.

If 505 has come up with the right combination of fixes, it may not be a bad deal. Will be interested in seeing how their tests and dyno turn out.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
This is a great option for guys in states that don't allow engine swaps. MO being one of them.

xp1ik05

think we are all waiting hoping someone posts something somewhere, seems like a great upgrade if you dont have 10-20k laying around for a ls/hemi swap.

GCM 2

In the article that's Pete Trasborg's JK (our new Discount Tire/EVO race team's crew chief). I was talking to him about the stroker motor at KOH, he says it is a VERY noticeable seat of the pants feeling improvement over the stock 3.8L Also, another teammate (the orange two door AdArt JK from the last few JKX's) has that same motor in his JK. Although now that two door is a highly modified for running the Every Man Challenge "Modified" class in Ultra 4/KOH racing.

Personally, I think it's a waste of money for so little improvement over stock ......and let's just say I'm not a big fan of that particular machine shop's track record with stroked motors, especially the 3.8L.

That's Pete Trasborg's JK (our new Discount Tire/EVO race team's crew chief). I was talking to him about the stroker motor at KOH, he says it is a VERY noticeable seat of the pants feeling improvement over the stock 3.8L Also, another teammate (the orange two door AdArt JK from the last few JKX's) has that same motor in his JK. Although now that two door is a highly modified for running the Every Man Challenge "Modified" class in Ultra 4/KOH racing.

Personally, I think it's a waste of money for so little improvement over stock ......and let's just say I'm not a big fan of that particular machine shop's track record with stroked motors, especially the 3.8L.

But for those of us who don't have the money for a V8 swap, if we have a reputable shop do the work, is it a viable option ? Because due to diesel ingestion, beyond my control, I may end up having an extra 3.8 long block lying around.

xrayjeeper83

As much as a V8 would be great and solve so many issues, it is completely out of range money wise. This is feasible for my wallet

GCM 2

But for those of us who don't have the money for a V8 swap, if we have a reputable shop do the work, is it a viable option ? Because due to diesel ingestion, beyond my control, I may end up having an extra 3.8 long block lying around.

Unless you are getting all the machining work for free, then I would still vote no. If you compare practically any other V6, take the popular Buick for example, those can get easily between 400-600hp by boring/stroking, all naturally aspirated, no turbos or superchargers. The 3.8L is just kind of destined to suck.

Unless you are getting all the machining work for free, then I would still vote no. If you compare practically any other V6, take the popular Buick for example, those can get easily between 400-600hp by boring/stroking, all naturally aspirated, no turbos or superchargers. The 3.8L is just kind of destined to suck.
I realize that but I would be getting the machining for free, than would it be worth it because they said that they worked allot of the issues such as spun bearings and oil burning. Then would it be a advantageous upgrade, because as previously stated an LS or Hemi swap just isn't in the cards for me for quite a while.

GCM 2

I realize that but I would be getting the machining for free, than would it be worth it because they said that they worked allot of the issues such as spun bearings and oil burning. Then would it be a advantageous upgrade, because as previously stated an LS or Hemi swap just isn't in the cards for me for quite a while.

You do realize you can get Hemi and LS motors used for about the same price as the $5400 3.8L stroker? Not all V8 swaps are $20k and up.

Also, both motors mentioned in my above post, well they have both had issues. Some serious, some manageable, there are still issues with tweaking the 3.8L.

Boring and stroking the 3.8L is asking for a different set of issues over factory. The work done to that JK in the article was comp'd, it was for free, for a magazine editor. I will leave it at that.

Top Bottom