3.8L Stroker article in FourWheeler Magazine

You do realize you can get Hemi and LS motors used for about the same price as the $5400 3.8L stroker? Not all V8 swaps are $20k and up.

Also, both motors mentioned in my above post, well they have both had issues. Some serious, some manageable, there are still issues with tweaking the 3.8L.

Boring and stroking the 3.8L is asking for a different set of issues over factory. The work done to that JK in the article was comp'd, it was for free, for a magazine editor. I will leave it at that.

Okay fair enough, if I wanted to do a swap on the cheap and was capable of doing most of the work myself what would be my best option, used 6.0 or 6.2 and 6l80E and a builders kit from motech if I wanted to go LS ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
....and let's just say I'm not a big fan of that particular machine shop's track record with stroked motors, especially the 3.8L.

LOL!! Well that's putting it mildly. One of the motors you and I know about blew up and another has been plagued with problems and without any real resolve. There's no way I would go this route.

GCM 2

Okay fair enough, if I wanted to do a swap on the cheap and was capable of doing most of the work myself what would be my best option, used 6.0 or 6.2 and 6l80E and a builders kit from motech if I wanted to go LS ?

I prefer the 6.2, 6.3 and larger, however the 6.0 is probably going to be cheaper. As of now Motec is currently the only one with a somewhat reliable harness (see Moby's V8 swap thread for more on swap issues). Maybe Jeepspeed has one now, not sure.

I know both Hemi and LS have their own nuanced issues, mostly overheating. Even on EVO1, Mel had heat issues in the beginning. A simple swap to a C&R radiator (see NASCAR or Trophy Trucks) and even during events like King of the Hammers the water temp never get above 200 degrees.

Sorry to discourage you on the V6 stroker motor. I have only seen two done, neither have shown enough improvement to make me a believer, yet both have shown enough serious problems to scare me off. BUT AGAIN, it could just be the fault of the shop mentioned in the article not doing their best work

I prefer the 6.2, 6.3 and larger, however the 6.0 is probably going to be cheaper. As of now Motec is currently the only one with a somewhat reliable harness (see Moby's V8 swap thread for more on swap issues). Maybe Jeepspeed has one now, not sure.

I know both Hemi and LS have their own nuanced issues, mostly overheating. Even on EVO1, Mel had heat issues in the beginning. A simple swap to a C&R radiator (see NASCAR or Trophy Trucks) and even during events like King of the Hammers the water temp never get above 200 degrees.

Sorry to discourage you on the V6 stroker motor. I have only seen two done, neither have shown enough improvement to make me a believer, yet both have shown enough serious problems to scare me off. BUT AGAIN, it could just be the fault of the shop mentioned in the article not doing their best work

Oh no, no offense taken at all. That's why I asked was to get a professional opinion from y'all who have seen the options that I was curious about. I want to do the 6.0 with 6L80E just don't know how much that would cost me...

GCM 2

LOL!! Well that's putting it mildly. One of the motors you and I know about blew up and another has been plagued with problems and without any real resolve. There's no way I would go this route.

I'm busted! I have been doing my best to not mention one of the motors is actually the third one of those strokers in the same jeep. I'm not a big fan of hearsay or spreading half truths, but these circumstances are first hand and deal with friends jeeps and friends shops doing the installs, so I'm pulling some punches. If it was my money being thrown at that work, I would not be happy

I'm busted! I have been doing my best to not mention one of the motors is actually the third one of those strokers in the same jeep. I'm not a big fan of hearsay or spreading half truths, but these circumstances are first hand and deal with friends jeeps and friends shops doing the installs, so I'm pulling some punches. If it was my money being thrown at that work, I would not be happy

Thanks for the opinion though I really appreciate the heads up and unbiased info :) Just trying to weigh my options.

xrayjeeper83

Wow thats the info I've been looking for.

Gcm 2 where have you seen an LS swap that comes close to the price of the stroker? Everything I've looked at parts are 10k alone.

shadow21

You do realize you can get Hemi and LS motors used for about the same price as the $5400 3.8L stroker? Not all V8 swaps are $20k and up.

5400 for motor
5100 for the motech Kit

So before anything actually starts your 10,500 in and you still need a custom front driveshaft, exhaust, and for it to be installed by reputable shop which install work doesn't come cheap where I am at 125 per hr. So I don't see how it's cheaper than at least 15k.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Some motors are great for upgrades, some are not. The 3.8 just doesn't seem to be one, by hardly any means. The better 3.8 answer would probably be just focusing on just tweakin the areas of the motor that are weak by parts or design flaws. Such as the oil consumption, or maybe a cam change. Essentially leave a stock bore and stroke. And do this when the motor is due for a rebuild. Skip the stroker and fix the flaws (if possible). Go for strong and reliable vs max power.

Stroker motors are not always good.

As far as a shop comping work for someone that is gonna write about it, you would think they would have done the best work they could. Not sounding like it from these reports.

Just my unwanted thoughts.

GCM 2

5400 for motor
5100 for the motech Kit

So before anything actually starts your 10,500 in and you still need a custom front driveshaft, exhaust, and for it to be installed by reputable shop which install work doesn't come cheap where I am at 125 per hr. So I don't see how it's cheaper than at least 15k.

It's a motor swap that can be done at home, in a garage.

Custom front driveshaft is the same as measuring for a new 1350 J.E. Reel that you would buy if your were doing a lift kit on your jeep, so it's not really that "custom".

Do you think you are not going to have to have new exhaust with the headers that 3.8L stroker kit is going to require?

Stop being a mechanical drama queen, there is nothing close to free about motor swaps, supercharger kits or stroker this or stroker that. Going with the cheapest option in motor upgrades like this stroker kit, is a lot like going with the cheapest bumpers, rock sliders, shocks, u joints, LED lights, you will probably end up doing it twice, once the wrong way and then a second time the right way. Do the 3.8L stroker swap, when your $5400 (engine only) blows the hell up, I promise I will not pile on by bring up these posts......

Last edited:

xrayjeeper83

Lol at the mechanical drama queen

After these posts I no longer am looking at the stroker, guess I need to save another 10-15k.

shadow21

It's a motor swap that can be done at home, in a garage.

Custom front driveshaft is the same as measuring for a new 1350 J.E. Reel that you would buy if your were doing a lift kit on your jeep, so it's not really that "custom".

Do you think you are not going to have to have new exhaust with the headers that 3.8L stroker kit is going to require?

Stop being a mechanical drama queen, there is nothing close to free about motor swaps, supercharger kits or stroker this or stroker that. Going with the cheapest option in motor upgrades like this stroker kit, is a lot like going with the cheapest bumpers, rock sliders, shocks, u joints, LED lights, you will probably end up doing it twice, once the wrong way and then a second time the right way. Do the 3.8L stroker swap, when your $5400 (engine only) blows the hell up, I promise I will not pile on by bring up these posts......

A motor swap that can be done at home. Well true if you have the ability to do so. Not to mention the tools. Not everyone has a friend like Mel Wade they can run to for advice and help.

Actually it's far different as I can order a 1350 online right this second and have no reason to measure(as a stock set up is the same every time). Where as a swap is what? Custom and stands a chance of being different every time and requires measuring why? Because it's custom.

I know I would need new exhaust but the custom part means custom. I could simply order a header(which Id have no need to do), new exhaust online for a 3.8. A LS or Hemi could require a custom manifold / header / full custom exhaust. Correct me if I'm wrong but can I go to a site and buy a exhaust that will bolt up to LS motor in a 2014 jku? If so I'd like to know where.

Either way you have a opinion and it's just that as I have one and it's just that a opinion. All I did was give actual numbers to someone. As to what you did was imply that a swap could be roughly the same price. Which is total 100% bs.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
A motor swap that can be done at home. Well true if you have the ability to do so. Not to mention the tools. Not everyone has a friend like Mel Wade they can run to for advice and help.

Actually it's far different as I can order a 1350 online right this second and have no reason to measure(as a stock set up is the same every time). Where as a swap is what? Custom and stands a chance of being different every time and requires measuring why? Because it's custom.

I know I would need new exhaust but the custom part means custom. I could simply order a header(which Id have no need to do), new exhaust online for a 3.8. A LS or Hemi could require a custom manifold / header / full custom exhaust. Correct me if I'm wrong but can I go to a site and buy a exhaust that will bolt up to LS motor in a 2014 jku? If so I'd like to know where.

Either way you have a opinion and it's just that as I have one and it's just that a opinion. All I did was give actual numbers to someone. As to what you did was imply that a swap could be roughly the same price. Which is total 100% bs.

Actually to do it the correct way you need to measure for a driveshaft. Just because you don't, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Not to mention there is no need for an aftermarket driveshaft with a stock setup as you mentioned.

I'm not sure what Mel Wade has to do with anything. Idiots like you always bring other people up for some reason. If you buy the AEV kit or the motech kit you would have someone you could call who would help you, that would be AEV or motech. Pull your head out of your ass.

Actually to do it the correct way you need to measure for a driveshaft. Just because you don't, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Not to mention there is no need for an aftermarket driveshaft with a stock setup as you mentioned.

I'm not sure what Mel Wade has to do with anything. Idiots like you always bring other people up for some reason. If you buy the AEV kit or the motech kit you would have someone you could call who would help you, that would be AEV or motech. Pull your head out of your ass.

Here here Agreed

Top Bottom