3.8L Stroker article in FourWheeler Magazine

MTG

Caught the Bug
A motor swap that can be done at home. Well true if you have the ability to do so. Not to mention the tools. Not everyone has a friend like Mel Wade they can run to for advice and help.

Strange, when I read this the voice in my head sounded like it was whining and crying. :idontknow:

Last edited:

GCM 2

......All I did was give actual numbers to someone. As to what you did was imply that a swap could be roughly the same price. Which is total 100% bs.

Well you certainly have proven you are an expert at giving "numbers" haven't you. So now I will bow out of sharing facts and I will just run to Mel Wade and keep my BS to myself. Good luck with your choices in motor swaps, I wish you the best. It's only $5400 right?

stweasel

On the lighter side of this subject. My wife walked into Motech on Tuesday as she works nearby and always sees the built up Jeeps out front. She wanted to get pricing on lifting and gearing our jeep. She came home said to me "Do you know all they do is put Corvette engines in Jeeps, why would anybody want a Corvette engine in their Jeep?" :thinking: I said "I DO!, I DO!"

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Having done a Corvette 350 into a 1948 CJ long before the golden age of electronics controlling everything, I can say it's like watching Dominoes fall. I made a careful budget and plan for the install. As soon as the first wrench was turned the first Domino fell. Ultimately the CJ finished out great, but the it took way longer and cost lots more. I don't know what you'll finally do, but figure on spending more than you estimate. Way more. All the best!:twocents:

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Who the hell is Mel Wade?

^^This just cost me diet coke infiltration into my nasal cavity and high velocity projection of said diet coke out my nostrils and onto my laptop screen and keyboard.......

Note to self:
Try not to drink DC while perusing through threads like this one cause you never know when you could come across excellently worded comments like this.....Thank you for the laugh......

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

shadow21

Well you certainly have proven you are an expert at giving "numbers" haven't you. So now I will bow out of sharing facts and I will just run to Mel Wade and keep my BS to myself. Good luck with your choices in motor swaps, I wish you the best. It's only $5400 right?

Never claimed to be a expert but numbers are important for some. As 5k to some people could take over a year to save. At the end of the day the 5400 you said isn't possible and 10 seconds of research would show that. You can try and belittle me all day long but I've done a few LS swaps granted it was classic cars and not jeeps but none were even close to 5k.

GCM 2

Never claimed to be a expert but numbers are important for some. As 5k to some people could take over a year to save. At the end of the day the 5400 you said isn't possible and 10 seconds of research would show that. You can try and belittle me all day long but I've done a few LS swaps granted it was classic cars and not jeeps but none were even close to 5k.

I absolutely never said the total cost of a V8 swap was $5400. Here is my exact quote below

You do realize you can get Hemi and LS motors used for about the same price as the $5400 3.8L stroker? Not all V8 swaps are $20k and up......

My exact words above. You assumed I was inferring that a turn key build would be $5400. That's your fault for making assumptions. Just the cost for the 3.8L stroked motor from 505 performance is $5400. Nowhere in this entire thread did anyway, except you, think a V8 swap could be done for that number of $5400.

I stand by the fact that a V8 swap doesn't have to be $20k+. In fact, it can be closer to $10k by sourcing used parts and doing the labor yourself.

I will belittle your mechanical drama queen posts all day long when you make silly suggestions about my facts being BS, making the use of a tape measure being used to get ONE simple measurement for a driveshaft and calling a catback exhaust, that any.....any muffler shop can do seem so custom that it's going to cost a mortgage.

And by the way, calling you an expert with numbers was simply me being a smarty pants by using rhetorical, patronizing wording. I honestly do not consider you a numbers expert, but just another guy who is overly thin skinned and sensitive to facts.

Last edited:
[ QUOTE=GCM 2;456287]I absolutely never said the total cost of a V8 swap was $5400. Here is my exact quote below

My exact words above. You assumed I was inferring that a turn key build would be $5400. That's your fault for making assumptions. Just the cost for the 3.8L stroked motor from 505 performance is $5400. Nowhere in this entire thread did anyway, except you, think a V8 swap could be done for that number of $5400.

I stand by the fact that a V8 swap doesn't have to be $20k+. In fact, it can be closer to $10k by sourcing used parts and doing the labor yourself.

I will belittle your mechanical drama queen posts all day long when you make silly suggestions about my facts being BS, making the use of a tape measure being used to get ONE simple measurement for a driveshaft and calling a catback exhaust, that any.....any muffler shop can do seem so custom that it's going to cost a mortgage.

And by the way, calling you an expert with numbers was simply me being a smarty pants by using rhetorical, patronizing wording. I honestly do not consider you a numbers expert, but just another guy who is overly thin skinned and sensitive to facts.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't help but agree with this, I understood what you were saying about the motors being 5400. Must be common sense

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I absolutely never said the total cost of a V8 swap was $5400. Here is my exact quote below

And by the way, calling you an expert with numbers was simply me being a smarty pants by using rhetorical, patronizing wording. I honestly do not consider you a numbers expert, but just another guy who is overly thin skinned and sensitive to facts.

Sooooooo you're saying I can get a used v8 installed for about $5,400? AND your Jeep is only 70" tall? :crazyeyes:

CharlieK

I recently purchased my daughter a 10 JK, it already had a zone lift and 35's. When I first read the OP, I was hopeful that this was going to be an option to give her JK a little more get up and go. I can tell you that I really appreciate GCM2 and Wayalife giving us their impression of this option, based on seeing this option in person One of the many reason I joined this forum, is to seek advice from guys who have far more experience than I. Thanks for you honest opinions, based of real world experience.

xrayjeeper83

What type of problems did the motors you know failed have? Also what type of driving, hardcore wheeling with a lot of throttle or more a DD?

I also read what you said as you meaning you can do a LS for basically the same as the stroker.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What type of problems did the motors you know failed have? Also what type of driving, hardcore wheeling with a lot of throttle or more a DD?

I also read what you said as you meaning you can do a LS for basically the same as the stroker.

Nowhere did he say the price of an LS is the same as the stroker. He said you can BUY an LS for the same price as you can BUY the stroker.

GCM 2

Well one of the motors had problems from the initial start up once installed in the jeep. Motor was was pulled, returned to the machine shop, same thing happened again when it came back, the jeep is on its third 3.8L stroker. Most notable was the customer service, or lack there of. Basically the shop pinned all blame on the installer, not their machining. It's a long block from 505 performance, so how does bolting a motor into mounts on frame rails cause two catastrophic engine failures at start up????

While at King Of The Hammers I met three separate other racers that noticed EVOTJ was running a 505 Performance inline 6 stroker motor. All three asked what we thought of their work. I said that we had really good luck with the TJ's stroker motor. Then each one recounted their own horror stories with the shops work and customer service, specifically the owners attitude. All three were pretty disappointed with 505 Performance and have never used their services since.

Now all I know is I have seen first hand three bad motors, all 3.8L strokers. Two from one JK which is now on its third, and the third motor is actually in the JK featured in the article. That last one I am not going to discuss due to connections to the magazine, if they want to write about it, they will. Probably will not happen though.

The racers I met at KOH with a bad taste in their mouth for 505 Performance, well those are just stories told to me, so I considered it almost hearsay with the exception that it is supposedly to their own motors and not someone else's. So take that for what it's worth.

Even without any bad events ever happening to the 3.8L to 4.1L stroker kits, I would not have wasted $5400 on a long block that gives you such meager improvement over stock.

xrayjeeper83

Thank you, thats very helpful and I've definitely made up my mind. Sucks cause, while it is a lot of money, for someone like me it could be another option.

Time to either buckle down and save or trade in for a '12 lol

MTG

Caught the Bug

Damn. I'm liquid for $5400 and was hoping to get a V8 after reading your previous thread. Way to crush a dream man! :grayno:

Top Bottom