3.8L Stroker article in FourWheeler Magazine

shadow21

I absolutely never said the total cost of a V8 swap was $5400. Here is my exact quote below

My exact words above. You assumed I was inferring that a turn key build would be $5400. That's your fault for making assumptions. Just the cost for the 3.8L stroked motor from 505 performance is $5400. Nowhere in this entire thread did anyway, except you, think a V8 swap could be done for that number of $5400.

I stand by the fact that a V8 swap doesn't have to be $20k+. In fact, it can be closer to $10k by sourcing used parts and doing the labor yourself.

I will belittle your mechanical drama queen posts all day long when you make silly suggestions about my facts being BS, making the use of a tape measure being used to get ONE simple measurement for a driveshaft and calling a catback exhaust, that any.....any muffler shop can do seem so custom that it's going to cost a mortgage.

And by the way, calling you an expert with numbers was simply me being a smarty pants by using rhetorical, patronizing wording. I honestly do not consider you a numbers expert, but just another guy who is overly thin skinned and sensitive to facts.

Oh now I get it..... You think things that have to be made to fit cost the exact same as bolt on stuff. Well in my 15 years of restoration work I've found that to not be the truth but enjoy fantasy land. Hey what do I know.... could you come teach me your ways?

Last edited:

ttfhell

Oh now I get it..... You think things that have to be made to fit cost the exact same as bolt on stuff. Well in my 15 years of restoration work I've found that to not be the truth but enjoy fantasy land. Hey what do I know could you come teach me your ways?

Good timing. I hear GCM2 is looking for a Padawan.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Oh now I get it..... You think things that have to be made to fit cost the exact same as bolt on stuff. Well in my 15 years of restoration work I've found that to not be the truth but enjoy fantasy land. Hey what do I know.... could you come teach me your ways?

Wait, are you saying there is a substantial price difference, if any, between getting a (1) "custom" cat back at your local muffler shop and (2) buying a pre-made name brand cat back online? I disagree and posit that in many cases going the local route is less expensive.

In any event, if you are basing the decision on what motor swap to do on things like driveshafts and whether some cat back tube has to be bent...I think you are missing the point.

If people are having a discussion about whether it would be better to have sex with the latest SI swimsuit model or Miss America, who has better toenail polish is pretty much irrelevant.

GCM 2

Holy cow! Enough, let it go restoration king, just let it go. Everything is custom, you are right, it's all custom. What I think is irrelevant and not worth writing to you at this point.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Holy cow! Enough, let it go restoration king, just let it go. Everything is custom, you are right, it's all custom. What I think is irrelevant and not worth writing to you at this point.

Is the irrelevance of it custom or can it be purchased as a kit?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424399586.125403.jpg just leave this guy here

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Now to stir the pot. How about a 4BT diesel swap. :eek:

$5400 is just for the 3.8/4.1 long block. Dang.

As I see the info provided here. The stroker would end up being a little cheaper for the do it yourselfer (most do not fit this category - don't forget you have to finish the long block $$). But it sounds less than reliable. So, probably money down the crapper.

The LS costs a little more, but yeilds great advantages. Still involves custom work and a $5k-ish install parts kit.

Custom drive shaft and custom exhaust. Really? Drive shaft-no real difference if any. Exhaust, if you go stock on the stroker - then maybe a few hundred. I doubt anybody would stay stock, so no real difference.

LS for the win.

More expensive, but doesn't blow up just sounds better. An LS swap would have been cheaper than my swap to a 3.6.

Top Bottom