Suspension travel comparison

RSQCON

Not wanting to derail a certain thread anymore I came across this...

...How the hell is a standard style coil and shock going to perform better than a coilover system????

...and so I figured now is as good a time as any to ask. I am not a fan boy of any particular brand had have no allegiance. My Jeep is on order so I am in the 'serious research' phase and am of the mindset that I only want to do it once.

If you have 2 JKs running identical control arms setups, 1 with coil overs and the other with coil springs and shocks, will either setup achieve more flex than the other and if so why? I've seen in mentioned that with a traditional coil spring and shock the shock is what limits your travel so in theory if the shock has the correct amount of upward and downward travel wouldn't you be able to achieve as much flex as a coil over setup?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen in mentioned that with a traditional coil spring and shock the shock is what limits your travel so in theory if the shock has the correct amount of upward and downward travel wouldn't you be able to achieve as much flex as a coil over setup?

In theory, yes. Problem is, your down travel will ALWAYS be limited by driveline bind and unless you physically raise the upper shock mount, you could NEVER achieve the same amount of up travel. Even most coil over kits run into this problem. EVO is the only company that I know of that addresses it well.

Of course, suspension travel is just part of the equation and has nothing to do with ride quality.

RSQCON

I've seen on their coilover how they relocated the new upper mount and it says "12in of usable wheel travel". Now on their 4" Double D Long arm kit is says "Engineered to handle up to a true 14” of Vertical Wheel Travel" so how are they achieving the same or more travel with the coil spring kit? Wish they had pictures on this kit installed on their site.

jkwebbie

Like Eddie said its more of the shock that gives you your travel. Your control arms could limit your travel, but I think you would have to over tighten the living hell out of them for that to happen lol. And the ride quality of a lift is really different to everyone. I can think that my lift rides just fine, but if you rode with me, you might think it rides like shit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Yes but they make dual or progressive rate coil springs as well so that isn't even a factor here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen on their coilover how they relocated the new upper mount and it says "12in of usable wheel travel". Now on their 4" Double D Long arm kit is says "Engineered to handle up to a true 14” of Vertical Wheel Travel" so how are they achieving the same or more travel with the coil spring kit? Wish they had pictures on this kit installed on their site.

Their bolt on coil over kit is NOT the same thing as their DTD kit. The later completely removes the factory spring perch and shock mount and has a new mount installed that's designed to allow for a significantly greater amount of travel using a shorter coil over. Same is true of their rear EVO Lever system - it only uses an 8" coil over and yet, still achieves 14" of true vertical travel. It's all in the design.

Yes but they make dual or progressive rate coil springs as well so that isn't even a factor here.

:cheesy: Knock yourself out with those "dual or progressive" rate coils :thumb:

Benito

Caught the Bug
Eddie I was not even looking at their Double Throw Down kit here are the 2 lifts I was referencing.

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-double-d-pro-jk-jku/

and

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-4-double-d-bolt-on-long-arm-kit-jk-jku/ (this one references 14" of vertical wheel travel)

IMG_3682.jpg

I may be wrong but, it is just saying you are set up to have up to 14 inches of travel not that you will. Basically you could use these long arms with the DTD if you wanted.

Petzl88

In theory, yes. Problem is, your down travel will ALWAYS be limited by driveline bind and unless you physically raise the upper shock mount, you could NEVER achieve the same amount of up travel.

Ok. Question. I'm running 25.5" extended Rancho shocks with 2.5" actual lift height coils. I tried Rancho's longest shock which is 27" extended and my coils unseated. I didn't want to add coil spacers and be any higher than that, so I left the 25.5" shocks on.

I have a 1310 double cardan driveshaft in the front. Do you know off hand what length shock starts causing front driveline bind? Is it right at that 12" of travel (like the EVO bolt on coilovers)?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

I called ORE today to get their take on the 4" coil spring kit that I was referring to. Per ORE they are getting the same amount of suspension travel out of the coil spring kit as they are the coilover kit so long as you use the 2.5" King shocks. Said the only difference is on the coilover kit they are able to obtain the same amount of travel with less overall lift height.

tgoss

I called ORE today to get their take on the 4" coil spring kit that I was referring to. Per ORE they are getting the same amount of suspension travel out of the coil spring kit as they are the coilover kit so long as you use the 2.5" King shocks. Said the only difference is on the coilover kit they are able to obtain the same amount of travel with less overall lift height.

This I truly can't believe from personal experience. I have 4" plush rides with 2.5 kings and they are not nearly as flexible as their bolt on coilover kit.

RSQCON

Would like to see the overall stance and a picture of the coil/shock setup front and rear. Also can you measure how tall your JK is to the roof line. I'm looking to determine if the Jeep will fit in my garage when it's complete. Also just to confirm you are running 37s and the 4" Evo coil spring kit correct?

tgoss

Would like to see the overall stance and a picture of the coil/shock setup front and rear. Also can you measure how tall your JK is to the roof line. I'm looking to determine if the Jeep will fit in my garage when it's complete. Also just to confirm you are running 37s and the 4" Evo coil spring kit correct?

Yep, that's correct. I'll PM you some pics and details.

Benito

Caught the Bug
This I truly can't believe from personal experience. I have 4" plush rides with 2.5 kings and they are not nearly as flexible as their bolt on coilover kit.

I get the same amount of, if not more, flex with plush rides and fox shocks as some Evo BO coil over jku's. It all depends on how they have their kit installed. I have 3" plush ride coils front and rear with a .75" spacer in the front. I run 3.5" bump stops and fox Ifp performance 2.0 shocks for 4-6" lift in the front. And 3" bump stops and fox ifp performance 2.0 shocks for 1.5-3.5" lift with the Evo rockstar skids in the rear. I have RTI with two different JKU with the bolt On kit and in both cases they were running too much bumpstop in my opinion.

Petzl88

I get the same amount of, if not more, flex with plush rides and fox shocks as some Evo BO coil over jku's. It all depends on how they have their kit installed. I have 3" plush ride coils front and rear with a .75" spacer in the front. I run 3.5" bump stops and fox Ifp performance 2.0 shocks for 4-6" lift in the front. And 3" bump stops and fox ifp performance 2.0 shocks for 1.5-3.5" lift with the Evo rockstar skids in the rear. I have RTI with two different JKU with the bolt On kit and in both cases they were running too much bumpstop in my opinion.

Does your front coil unseat at full droop? Do you know the extended length of your front shocks? 27"?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom