Rubicat's New BooBoo

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Over the weekend, we were out at Johnson Valley helping out with the EVO crew and somewhere along the line, we noticed Rubicat was running and handling a bit odd. On the way home on Saturday night, we really started to notice it especially when taking off the line. Well, today, I finally had some time to give her a once over and, this is what I found....

main.php

main.php

main.php

In a way, we had a feeling this would happen sooner or later due to the weak mounts on the factory rear axle. They simply cannot handle the BIG flex we have and stresses of driving hard and fast in the desert. I sure hope we can get this fixed by tomorrow as without Rubicat, we'll be dead in the water for KoH. :grayno:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Ouch!

Hopefully you'll get it fixed ASAP! If not, catch a ride up with ChrisB and we'll find you a rig to use Wed-Sat. :thumb:

Skid_Kid

That sucks! No damage to the coilover on that side I hope? Can it be welded back on you think?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailBear

Ahhh nothing some duct tape bailing wire and zip ties can't fix lol. But seriously ouch!

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch! That would seem to cause some handling issues.

Yeah, on Saturday night, I started to notice a lifting of the driver side front corner on take off and knew something was off on the passenger side rear. Based on what I've seen on other peoples rigs in the past, I had an idea I would be seeing something like this.

Ouch!

Hopefully you'll get it fixed ASAP! If not, catch a ride up with ChrisB and we'll find you a rig to use Wed-Sat. :thumb:

Thanks. Spent the afternoon pulling things apart and griding all the welds off the axle. I also spent some time bending the remnants of the factory mount and reshaping into something useable just in case I couldn't get a new one in time. Fortunately, we were able to order up a new one from Currie.

That sucks! No damage to the coilover on that side I hope? Can it be welded back on you think?

No, no damage to the coil over and I'm hoping to weld on a new Currie mount tomorrow.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yikes, I hope you can get it fixed.

Hate to see breakage happen. Hope for a quick fix!

Hope it gets fixed quickly.

Well, we're working on it and hope to have her up and running again tomorrow.

Get well soon Rubicat, No breakage is fun... hope you got home safe!

Yeah, we got home safe but it I wouldn't trust to head back out to the Hammers until we can get her fixed up.

What's wrong with Moby?

Moby is at the dealer getting his new transmission looked at. Don't know how long he'll be out of commission. :grayno:

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks. Spent the afternoon pulling things apart and griding all the welds off the axle. I also spent some time bending the remnants of the factory mount and reshaping into something useable just in case I couldn't get a new one in time. Fortunately, we were able to order up a new one from Currie.

No, no damage to the coil over and I'm hoping to weld on a new Currie mount tomorrow.

Just saw this on FB. Good to hear you've got currie and a back up solution in the works. Also cool you'll be able to do a home weld on that.

N2jeeps

It's definitely the weak link. Same thing happened to me and I'm getting a 3 link installed tomorrow in the rear. It started as a popping noise in that area. Never saw the cracked weld until it broke completely off just like this. Luckily I was also able to make it back home on it.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Damn! That sucks big time. I hope you get Rubi up and running soon. I take it you aren't going to just make the jump to 60's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn! That sucks big time. I hope you get Rubi up and running soon. I take it you aren't going to just make the jump to 60's?

I wish. We're hoping to maybe upgrade the rear on Moby to a PR80 and then use the old 60 on Rubicat but, that's something for down the road.

Top Bottom